The film follows a young boy named "Darren Shan," who while attending a freakshow with his best friend, meets a mysterious man named "Larten Crepsley", who turns out to be a Vampire. After a series of unfortunate events, Darren is forced to leave his family and normal life behind and become the vampire's assistant, where he finds himself in the middle of a rivalry between two vampire clans.
- Was intially set to hit theaters on January 15, 2010 before it was pushed forward to an October '09 date.
- Originally titled Cirque du Freak, after the first novel in the book series, but producers felt an easier and more catching title would work better, so it was changed to The Vampire's Assistant, which is actually the title for the second book.
- Filmed in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- William Dafoe plays vampire "Gavner Purl."
- Chris J. Kelly plays the young boy "Darren Shan."
- Salma Hayek plays "Madame Truska," the bearded lady.
- John C. Reilly plays "Larten Crepsley" the vampire.
- Ken Watanabe plays "Mr. Tall."
- Adapted for the screen by writer Brian Helgeland (Conspiracy Theory, Blood Work, Mystic River).
- Based on the first novel in the "Vampire Blood" young adult series by author Darren Shan.
A UHM staff member has not reviewed this film.