No official plot yet.
No official plot yet.
- It comes as no real surprise, but it looks as though the project isn't happening. 28 Days later writer Alex Garland had a recent Reddit AMA where he was asked if there were plans for another movie, in which he replied: "Kind of, but doubt it will ever happen." Apparently Alex and original director Danny Boyle had a sequel concept down, but nothing more aside from that and they've both moved on to other projects. It's possible one day this project will be revisited, but at the moment it is not in development. (2/12/18)
- 28 Days Later writer Alex Garland had an interview recently where he revealed that he came up with an idea for a sequel and brought it up to producer Andrew Macdonald and original director Danny Boyle. It appears as though the project is now in some form of active development, but nothing has been confirmed yet. Either way, here's what was said in the interview: "I had a funny idea. I had a sort of weird idea that popped into my head. Partly because of a trip I’d taken. I had this thought, and I suggested it to Andrew and Danny, but I also said I don’t want to work on it. I don’t really want to play a role, and Andrew said, ‘Leave it to me.’ So he’s gone off and is working on it." (5/12/15)
- Danny Boyle had an interview recently where this project was briefly brought up. Here's what he had to say: "I don’t like zombie movies. I never did. We took a genre and fucked with it. Zombie aficionados, they’re quite precious with all their rules. Like with running: “They don’t do that!” Of course there are so many manifestations of zombies now, the rule book has gone out the window. I saw one episode of The Walking Dead, and it was very gripping. But the zombies were stumbling around again, which I hate. Given what we’ve just been talking about, it’s very difficult to know whether zombies are overexposed now as a concept. So it’s 40/60 whether [the movie] happens or not." (4/15/13)
- 28 Months Later may or may not be the actual title.
- A third entry was talked about around the release of 28 Weeks Later back in 2007.
- It was once rumored that original 28 Days Later director Danny Boyle wanted to return to direct.
- This film would follow 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later.