The quiet suburb of Chamberlain, Maine is home to the deeply religious and conservative Margaret White (Moore) and her daughter Carrie (Moretz). Carrie is a sweet but meek outcast whom Margaret has sheltered from society. Gym teacher Miss Desjardin (Greer) tries in vain to protect Carrie from local mean girls led by the popular and haughty Chris Hargenson, but only Chris’ best friend, Sue Snell, regrets their actions. In an effort to make amends, Sue asks her boyfriend, high school heartthrob Tommy Ross, to take Carrie to prom. Pushed to the limit by her peers at the dance, Carrie unleashes telekinetic havoc.
October 18, 2013
- A motion poster for the flick can be found here.
- Originally set for a March 15th 2013 theatrical release.
- Filmed in Toronto, Canada.
- Actress Chloe Moretz said the following about her character in a recent interview: "I am changing everything about me—my hair, my look,” Moretz tells Vanity Fair. “I’m doing my own take on [the character]. The script is totally different from the [original]. It’s more like the book. It’s a more Black Swan version—it messes with your mind. You’ll see things, and you don’t know if you’ve seen them."
- Portia Doubleday plays "Chris Hargensen."
- Judy Greer plays "Miss Desjardin, the gym teacher."
- Gabriella Wilde is said to be playing "Sue".
- Ivana Baquero (Pan's Labyrinth) is said to be playing a "sexy bad girl" by the name of "Chris".
- Ansel Elgort will play a friend of Carrie's that takes her to the prom.
- Alex Russell (Chronicle) will play a bully in the film.
- Gabriella Wilde (The Three Musketeers) is in negotiations to play character "Sue Snell".
- Julianne Moore plays Carrie's mom, "Margaret White".
- Chloe Moretz was quoted in an interview revealing the tone we can expect from the film, saying: "We're kind of going off the book. It's darker and much more psychological. More 'Black Swan'. You're really looking into her mind and it really looks into the relationship of Margaret and Carrie. It's set in modern time, so it's a lot different."
- Julianne Moore is in talks to play Carrie's mom.
- It's said that the film may incorporate some "found footage" elements.
- Director Kimberly Peirce was quoted recently saying: "I am also modernizing the story as one has to in order to bring any great piece of work written in one era into the next and especially given how very relevant this material is right now. Chloe is going deep into character to get this right....sewing her own dresses, spending time in her closet....and so much more..." (4/16/12)
- Chloe Moretz (Kick-Ass, Let Me In) plays Carrie.
- Kimberly Peirce (Boys Don't Cry, Stop-Loss) directs.
- Actress Megan Fox is reportedly very interested in starring in the film as Carrie.
- It's said that this version will be more faithful to the Stephen King book and less of a remake of the original movie.
- A theatrical sequel was made in 1999 and another adaptation of the book was made-for-TV in 2002.
- A remake of the 1976 Brian De Palma film with the same name.
A UHM staff member has not reviewed this film.