Before there was Amityville, there was Harrisville. Based on a true story, “The Conjuring” tells the horrifying tale of how world-renowned paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren were called upon to help a family terrorized by a dark presence in a secluded farmhouse. Forced to confront a powerful demonic entity, the Warrens find themselves caught in the most terrifying case of their lives.
- Originally slated for a January 25th 2013 theatrical release.
- Also known as the The Warren Files.
- Hayley McFarland and Shanley Caswell play the older siblings in the Perron family.
- Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga play Ed and Lorraine Warren, paranormal investigators who take on the Perron case.
- This marks the second time actor Patrick Wilson and director James Wan has worked together, with the first being Insidious.
- Director James Wan also directed Saw and Insidious.
- It's said that ghosts and demonic possession are at the center of the plot.
- Summit Entertainment paid mid- against high-six figures in an aggressive bidding war with New Line and Screen Gems for the rights to this project, but talks fell through and New Line eventually took over.
- The project includes life rights to the Perron family, "whose experiences in their Rhode Island home informs the film, and Ed and Lorraine Warren, experts in paranormal activities who investigated and battled the activities occurring in the Perron household and did the same in the cases that inspired The Amityville Horror and The Haunting in Connecticut".
- Based on a pitch by Chad Hayes and Carey Hayes.
7/10 | Click here to read the official review from a UHM staff member.