Revolves around a mysterious virus that hits an isolated elementary school, transforming the pre-adolescent children into a feral swarm of mindless savages. An unlikely hero must lead a motley band of teachers in the fight of their lives against the monstrous pupils.
- Apparently the filmmakers weren't happy with their original ending (which screened at various festivals) and filmed a new ending for the film, which they estimate will be out sometime early 2015.
- Lionsgate will distribute in the US.
- Alison Pill plays "Lucy, an eternally optimistic 4th grade teacher."
- Rainn Wilson (NBC's The Office) plays an "ex-athlete turned PE teacher Wade."
- Elijah Wood plays a substitute teacher that leads "a ragtag band of educators in a fight for survival."
- Fans may remember actor Jorgé Garcia as "Hurley" from the series Lost.
- Ace Norton was originally attached to direct.
- Elijah Wood stars and produces under his newly-created genre label The Woodshed.
- Leigh Whannell was quoted saying: "My friend Ian Brennan and I wanted to write a film about one of life’s most universal experiences – hatred for precocious, adorable children. And so we started work on ‘Cooties,’ a film about a virus that turns school children into monsters and therefore makes it okay to beat them up with hockey sticks."
- Co-written by Ian Brennan (Glee) and Leigh Whannell (Saw, Insidious).
A UHM staff member has not reviewed this film.