|Tags: Bailee Madison, creatures, Guillermo del Toro, Guy Pearce, Jack Thompson, Katie Holmes, kids, Miramax Films, nocturnal, REMAKES, Tequila Gang, Troy Nixey|
While exploring the sprawling estate, the young girl discovers a hidden basement, undisturbed since the strange disappearance of the mansion's builder a century ago. When Sally unwittingly lets loose a race of ancient, dark-dwelling creatures who conspire drag her down into the mysterious house's bottomless depths, she must convince Alex and Kim that it's not a fantasy before the evil lurking in the dark consumes them all.
- Originally set for a January 21st then an August 12th 2011 theatrical release.
- Filmed Melbourne, Australia.
- Bailee Madison plays the young girl, who discovers the creatures and is fascinated by them -- until they prove dangerous.
- Guy Pearce plays the father, an author frustrated by his daughter's tales of monsters, not believing her even when his girlfriend (Katie Holmes) backs her.
- Comic book artist/writer Troy Nixey makes his directorial debut.
- Budgeted at an estimated $12.5-million.
- Produced by Guillermo Del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy) and Miramax.
- Written by Guillermo del Toro and Matthew Robbins, who also teamed up for Mimic.
- James Wong (Final Destination) was originaly going to direct when it was announced in 2002.
- This is a remake of the 1973 film that aired on television.
7/10 | Click here to read the official review from a UHM staff member.
All user reviews and new comments (if any) can also be found on that page.