An epic rebirth to Toho’s iconic Godzilla, this spectacular adventure pits the world’s most famous monster against malevolent creatures who, bolstered by humanity’s scientific arrogance, threaten our very existence.
- Filmed in Vancouver, Canada.
- Japanese actor Akira Takarada is said to have some sort of cameo role in the film.
- Darabont was quoted detailing how they're approaching a new Godzilla movie, saying: "We're kind of taking a cool new look at it. But with a lot of tradition in the first film. We want this to be a terrifying force of nature. And what was really cool, for me, is there was a very compelling human drama that I got to weave into it. It's not that cliched, thinly disguised romance or bromance, or whatever. It's different, it's a different set of circumstances than you're used to seeing."
- Frank Darabont has been hired to do a final rewrite of the script before it goes into production. (1/7/13)
- Producer Dan Lin was quoted saying: "So we’re in deep pre-production and Gareth’s vision of the movie is really exciting it’s a true re-boot of Godzilla. And you saw from the Comic-Con footage it is a grounded, realistic version of Godzilla. What would happen if Godzilla came into our world today?” (1/7/13)
- It's said that production is aimed to begin sometime March 2013. (11/14/12)
- In a recent interview director Gareth Edwards reveals his approach towards another take on Godzilla, saying: "My main idea was to imagine 'If this really happened, what would it be like?' I want to take a grounded, realistic approach to a Godzilla film." (10/8/12)
- Drew Pearce (Iron Man 3, Sherlock Holmes 3) is doing last minute rewrites before casting begins. (10/4/12)
- It's rumored that there will be two different monsters in the film.
- It's said that this will "return the character to its epic roots with a gritty, realistic actioner."
- David Goyer (Dark City, Blade, The Dark Knight) wrote an early draft.
- Director Gareth Edwards also helmed the low-budgeted sci-fi/romance alien invasion flick Monsters.
- David Callaham (Doom, The Expendables) wrote an early draft of the script.
- The first attempt at Godzilla was in 1998 by director Roland Emmerich.
- Described as a "reboot", this is the second attempt at a US Godzilla.
A UHM staff member has not reviewed this film.