No official plot yet.
No official plot yet.
- Once again not much of an update other than writer Chris Columbus stating that they're still actively developing the film. He also says that the movie is a "reboot", which conflicts a bit with past information stating that it's more of a sequel. Here's what he had to say: "Gremlins we are actively talking about that. So that’s what I am working on with my production company 1492 Pictures. It will almost definitely be a reboot." It seems like they're having trouble figuring out which direction to go with the movie, which would explain why reports keep flip-flopping around about it being a sequel or a reboot. (4/18/18)
- Not much of an update, but Joe Dante had a recent interview where he revealed what may be the holdup in the sequel moving forward, saying: "I probably have less information to give you than anybody because I am not involved with it, I don’t control the material, it’s reverted back to Chris Columbus who wrote the script for the first movie. They have plans to do something but what Chris wants to do may not be what Warner wants to do and it’s not just Warner it’s also a lot of other people like Amblin and Steven Spielberg – everyone has to agree on what they want to do and at this point nobody is going to figure that out." Adding.. "I think the reuniting of the cast is highly unlikely. Perhaps a Gremlins prequel might be something they will do but I don’t know as I was not asked to be involved." (9/27/17)
- Writer/producer Chris Columbus revealed that he has completed the script in a recent interview. Here's what he had to say: "I’m really proud of the script. It is as twisted and dark as anything, so we’ll see. It’s always a budgetary conversation when we’re going to shoot it. I wanted to go back to the really twisted sensibility of the first movie. I found that was a very easy place for me to fall back into and start writing again so hopefully we’ll see that movie soon." He also adds that there will be minimal CGI, saying: "Oh, without a doubt, minimal CGI. CGI will enable us to remove wires and make the puppeteers lives a little easier." Apparently the movie brings up the idea of killing Gizmo since he poses a threat if someone doesn't follow the rules: "That comes up in the movie, certainly… I think it probably is a good idea to be honest with you. Too many people are dying." (8/20/17)
- The writer of the original, Christopher Columbus, produces and is working on the latest draft on the script.
- Apparently the project is back on track and is officially going to be a remake instead of a sequel, as the studio has hired Carl Ellsworth (Disturbia, The Last House on the Left, Red Dawn, Goosebumps) to script. At the moment it's too early to tell who will be directing. (4/8/15)
- It looks like talks of sequel/remake have died over time. It was revealed a couple years back that Seth Grahame-Smith and producing partner David Katzenberg were supposedly developing a remake, but that's no longer the case. Here's what Seth Grahame-Smith had to say in a recent interview: "It was a completely different cast of characters, but acknowledging the events of the first two movies…I think we just ran out of steam. It’s one of those things where everybody got busy doing other things. It’s something I would love to come back to, but right now Steven’s making two movies back to back and Chris Columbus is busy. We’re all taking a five-minute break on that." (1/16/15)
- Previous Gremlins director Joe Dante has expressed interest in returning to the films with the "right script."
- The studio reportedly once considered this to be in 3D.
- This project initially started out as a remake, but over time (and through different writers) is now said to be a sequel.