Based on the classic tale, where 15 years after that whole gingerbread house incident occurred, the siblings are now hardcore badass witch hunters.
- Originally had a March 2nd 2012 then a January 11th 2013 theatrical release.
- The film was originally thought to have a PG-13 rating due to rumors centered around two cuts of the film that were shown to test audiences. Apparently one version shown had a lot of the gore and violence removed, which resulted in rumors that the studio was potentially pursuing a PG-13 rating.
- Actress Gemma Arterton briefly spoke about her character in the film, saying: "Gretel’s quite wild. She’s super cool, and violent,’ Gemma added, describing the action as Tarantino-esque. ‘She has a crossbow, she headbutts people, folk get decapitated, noses get bitten off. It’s so ridiculous that it’s funny, but I wouldn’t mess with her."
- Peter Stormare will play a "crooked Lawman".
- Jeremy Renner (The Hurt Locker) will play Hansel.
- Gemma Arterton (Clash of the Titans, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time) will play Gretel.
- Noomi Rapace (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo) was originally thought to be playing Gretel.
- This will be in 3D.
- Producer Adam McKay had this to say about the style of the film: "..it's got kind of like a steampunk vibe mixed with a little bit of a Goth edge and hyper-cartoon violence like Kick-Ass and all set in a very specific world. It's not a comedy. Although, you could say Kick-Ass had some really funny stuff in it. It's a comedy in that sense. It's like a Sam Raimi-type horror movie, like Evil Dead II, only a little nastier, a little more modern."
- It's said that the film will have modern technology, but be set in a more classic old-timey backdrop.
- Adam McKay and Will Ferrell (Anchorman, Step Brothers) will produce via their Gary Sanchez Prods. moniker.
- This would mark Tommy Wirkola's (Dead Snow) US directorial debut.
- This will be an action-horror-comedy.
- Based on the classic tale.
A UHM staff member has not reviewed this film.