The film continues the tale of the now-iconic villain Victor Crowley (Kane Hodder). As a search and recovery team heads into the haunted swamp to pick up the pieces and carnage left behind from the first two films, Marybeth (Danielle Harris) hunts down the true secret to ending the voodoo curse that has left the ghost of Victor Crowley haunting and terrorizing Honey Island Swamp for decades.
- The film will reportedly open in New York City's Cinema Village and in Los Angeles at Laemmle Music Hall and will feature special appearances by the cast and crew, followed by Q&A's at each location. Additional cities will be announced at a later date.
- Filmed in and around New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Filming was originally expected to begin March 2012.
- Rileah Vanderbilt plays "Mikaela Dougherty – a SWAT Team member sent in to Honey Island Swamp as part of the search and recovery team."
- Cody Blue Snider (son of rocker Dee Snider) plays "Deputy Schneiderman, a gun-loving, heavy artillery-carrying area police officer joining in the assault on Victor Crowley."
- Zach Galligan (Gremlins films, Waxwork films) plays "Sheriff Fowler, the quiet Louisiana precinct of Jefferson Parish's hard-nosed head of police."
- Caroline Williams (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2) will play "a fast-talking journalist who fancies herself an expert on the legend of supernatural stalker Crowley"
- Derek Mears plays "a brooding, pompous SWAT team leader who is sent in to contain the carnage strewn about the haunted swamp."
- Kane Hodder returns as "Victor Crowley."
- Danielle Harris returns as "Marybeth."
- BJ McDonnell had this to say about taking over as director: “I’ve been with the Hatchet team from the very beginning and am honored and thrilled that Adam has handed me the reins on this third movie. I grew up watching horror films and like Adam Green, I’m a true genre fan at heart. I have been waiting for an opportunity like this to step up and make my directorial debut with something I love and know inside and out. Working together with Adam, we plan to make a kick ass movie!”
- This marks director BJ McDonnell's feature film debut, after working as camera operator for not only the first two films, but also big-budgeted mainstream efforts such as Battle Los Angeles, A Nightmare on Elm Street remake, and Rob Zombie's Halloween.
- Adam Green will not be returning to direct, and will be replaced by someone who has "been part of the Hatchet family the whole way, and I will tease just by saying that he was there for everything." However, Green will still remain very close to production and right by the camera and director every step of the way.
- The previous movie was the first unrated independent horror flick to be exhibited by a major chain (AMC Theatres) in more than 25 years. Of course, it was only in theaters for a few days before being pulled from screens for undisclosed reasons.
- Writer Adam Green reportedly had the storyline for a third movie already worked out before he even began filming Hatchet 2.
A UHM staff member has not reviewed this film.