Lisa Johnson is one day shy of her sixteenth birthday. And she will be forever. She and her family are dead and doomed to repeat that fateful last day before they were all killed in 1985. Only Lisa has “woken up” and realizes what is going on. She starts to feel as if she is being haunted, but the “ghost” turns out to be Olivia, a very much alive girl who lives in the house in the present day with her own family. With her help, Lisa discovers that the house once belonged to a serial killer who kidnapped teenage girls and burned their remains in a hidden furnace room. When he died, he became a Haunter - a powerful, evil spirit able to possess the living.
Matthew Brian King
- IFC Midnight will distribute in the US.
- Makes it world premiere at 2013's SXSW.
- Filmed in Toronto and Brantford.
- Alternate synopsis: Follows Lisa (Abigail Breslin), a teenage girl who died under sinister circumstances in 1986 along with her family. Trapped in their house together and unable to move on, Lisa must reach out from beyond the grave to help her present-day, living counterpart avoid the same fate she suffered.
- Director Vincenzo Natali was quoted saying: “Haunter vividly demonstrates that even ghosts have a lot to be afraid of. Brian King’s script constructs a Borgian Labyrinth out of the most mundane settings and shows us how even in our everyday lives, we are spirits living in the material world.”
- Abigail Breslin (Zombieland) stars as the ghost.
- Described as a "reverse ghost story."
- Directed by Vincenzo Natali (Cube, Splice).