Hardened survivor Joel teams with young and capable companion Ellie to journey through a radically transformed world some 20 years after an infectious pandemic ravages humanity.
Ghost House Pictures
- Writer Neil Druckmann had an interview recently where he revealed where he's at with the script along with the difficulties in adaptating such a story-driven game, saying: "I’m in the middle of it now, and it’s been super difficult because there’s so much that happens in The Last of Us – even just in the cinematics – that can’t fit in a film, let alone all the gameplay in-between and dialogue. It almost has this novel quality as far as how much content there is, and a film works really well when it’s laser-focused, so the first part of it was like: ‘Well, what is this story really about? It’s clearly about Joel and Ellie. What are the most important beats that we can’t lose? Start with those, and cut everything else out.’ It’s been really difficult to cut certain things out, but what I’m starting to get this is really focused narrative that’s about these two characters. Some parts will be similar to the game and some parts will be quite different, but it’s kind of interesting in helping me understand this other medium and its strengths compared to video games." (8/10/14)
- Young actress Maisie Williams (Arya from Game of Thrones) is reportedly in talks to play Ellie.
- Screen Gems will distribute.
- Co-produced by Sam Raimi's Ghost House Pictures banner.
- Written by Neil Druckmann, who also served as the Creative Director for the game.
- This will be a live-action film.
- Based on the hit award-winning game with the same name.
A UHM staff member has not reviewed this film.