|Tags: Andrew Dunbar, Brendan Fletcher, creatures, Harris Wilkinson, Leprechaun, Lionsgate, Melissa Roxburgh, REMAKES, Stephanie Bennett, Teach Grant, WWE Studios|
You voted ‘down’
Backpacking through the lush Irish countryside, two unsuspecting young couples discover a town’s chilling secret. Ben (Dunbar), Sophie (Bennet), David (Fletcher) and Jeni (Roxburgh) quickly discover the idyllic land is not what it appears to be when the town’s residents offer the hikers an old cabin at the edge of the woods. Soon, the friends will find that one of Ireland’s most famous legends is a terrifying reality.
- Director Zach Lipovsky had an interview recently where he revealed some details on the project, saying: "It’s basically a complete refresh, reboot. We’re not trying to copy or really do at all what the last one did. It kind of did what it was doing so well, that’s why they made so many of them, but we’re going a completely new direction and completely new world and everything which is why they were excited by what I brought to the table because I was pretty new to the whole Leprechaun thing myself. It was kind of what can we do to make something that’s a legitimate horror movie rather than something a bit more campy?"
- Visual Effects artist Zach Lipovsky makes his feature film directorial debut with this. Zach was apparently discovered as a contestant on the short-lived reality TV series "On the Lot" where he was one of the 3 finalists. The show saw 16 aspiring filmmakers compete for a development deal with DreamWorks.
- In a recent interview WWE President Michael Luisi was quoted saying: "The tone is going to be a little darker, a little more traditional horror than the Warwick Davis ones that people remember, trying to find a way to please fans of that genre but at the same time this is really being played for scares." (1/24/13)
- The WWE wrestler known as "Hornswoggle" will play the Leprechaun.
- One of the producers at WWE Studios was quoted saying: "We have been looking for ways to continue our relationship with Lionsgate and we saw 'Leprechaun' as the perfect opportunity to take a well-known franchise and put a modern-day spin on it. This is a property that we believe our audience will respond to and we continue to look for ways to surprise and engage them."
- Warwick Davis will not return to play the Leprechaun this time.
- The original spawned 5 sequels.
- The original film was actress Jennifer Aniston's first starring role.
- A remake of the 1993 film with the same name.
A UHM staff member has not reviewed this film.