Guillermo del Toro presents Mama, a supernatural thriller that tells the haunting tale of two little girls who disappeared into the woods the day that their mother was murdered. When they are rescued years later and begin a new life, they find that someone or something still wants to come tuck them in at night.
The day their father killed their mother, sisters Victoria and Lilly vanished near their suburban neighborhood. For five long years, their Uncle Lucas and his girlfriend, Annabel, have been madly searching for them. But when, incredibly, the kids are found alive in a decrepit cabin, the couple wonders if the girls are the only guests they have welcomed into their home.
As Annabel tries to introduce the children to a normal life, she grows convinced of an evil presence in their house. Are the sisters experiencing traumatic stress, or is a ghost coming to visit them? How did the broken girls survive those years all by themselves? As she answers these disturbing questions, the new mother will find that the whispers she hears at bedtime are coming from the lips of a deadly presence.
January 18, 2013
May 7, 2013 (DVD)
Now On DVD
PG-13 "violence and terror, some disturbing images and thematic elements."
Andres Muschietti (original draft)
Barbara Muschietti (original draft)
- Filmed in Toronto, Canada.
- Alternate synopsis: Tells the story of a couple who take in their long-lost young nieces and nephews. The kids were found after living in the forest for five years but now murderous events begin to unfold and it becomes clear that a supernatural force is intent on claiming the kids.
- Fans may remember actor Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as "Jaime Lannister" in HBO’s Game of Thrones.
- Neil Cross rewrote the script, which was based on an original draft by Andres Muschietti and his sister/partner Barbara Muschietti.
- Executive produced by Guillermo Del Toro.
- Based on the Spanish short film with the same name. You can watch the short here.
7/10 | Click here
to read the official review from a UHM staff member.