No official plot yet, but it's said that it will follow the events of the first.
April 7, 2017
Guillermo del Toro
Guillermo del Toro
Charlie Hunnam (not confirmed)
Rinko Kikuchi (not confirmed)
- Guillermo del Toro offered more details on what to expect from the sequel in a recent interview. Here's what he had to say: “It’s a few years after the first one. It’s not an immediate follow-up. It is the world having been freed of Kaiju, what happens to the world after — what happens to the Jaeger technology once the Kaiju are not a threat. It’s quite a jump." He adds.. "the Kaijus are very different and you’re gonna see a very different type of the robots I think. It’s gonna be quite a different adventure." (12/2/14)
- Guillermo del Toro gave a brief update on the project saying: "We got the first draft of the movie now, and we are going to spend another 4-5 months on the screenplay before we start pre-production. We start pre-production next year in August-September and start shooting November-December next year." He then adds what fans can expect, saying: "The direction we’re going in is very different from the first. All I can say is some of your favorite characters come back, some others don’t because we have decided that we’re going to shoot ambitiously and say ‘Let’s hope we have three movies,’’so some characters come in at the end of the second, hoping that it will ramp up on the third one. I hope people like it but you’re gonna get a very different experience from the first one." (10/20/14)
- Guillermo del Toro was quoted saying: "The characters I love will return. Raleigh, Mako, Newt, Gottlieb and who knows, maybe even Hannibal Chau – but we are taking them into a fresh territory that will display amazing sights and battles. The first film set the stage and now we’re ready to have a blast."
- It's said there will be an animated series and a continuation of the Pacific Rim: Tales from Year Zero prequel graphic novel.
- Will be in 3D and go to IMAX.
- Guillermo del Toro had a recent interview, saying the following about the script he's working on with Zak Penn (X-Men: The Last Stand, The Incredible Hulk): "We’ve been working for a few months now in secret. We found a way to twist it around. I’m going for very new, very crazy ideas on the second one, which are very different from the first one — but you will get really great spectacle."
- Guillermo del Toro returns to write, but no word if he'll also direct.
- It's said that the characters Raleigh Becket (Charlie Hunnam) and Mako Mori (Rinko Kikuchi) are planned to return, however nothing official has been confirmed.
- This is the obvious sequel to the 2013 film Pacific Rim. It was rumored that this would be a prequel, but del Toro has confirmed that it would be a sequel taking places after the events of the first.
A UHM staff member has not reviewed this film.