When legions of monstrous creatures, known as Kaiju, started rising from the sea, a war began that would take millions of lives and consume humanity’s resources for years on end. To combat the giant Kaiju, a special type of weapon was devised: massive robots, called Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge. But even the Jaegers are proving nearly defenseless in the face of the relentless Kaiju. On the verge of defeat, the forces defending mankind have no choice but to turn to two unlikely heroes-a washed up former pilot (Charlie Hunnam) and an untested trainee (Rinko Kikuchi)-who are teamed to drive a legendary but seemingly obsolete Jaeger from the past. Together, they stand as mankind’s last hope against the mounting apocalypse.
- The film will apparently be converted to 3D during post-production.
- Guillermo del Toro was interviewed recently where he described some of the action that we we can expect from the film, saying: "We had a Tokyo scene that we shot here in Toronto. We had several Hong Kong scenes and a few scenes in Australia, through the television. We briefly see the kaiju take over San Francisco. The whole Pacific Rim needs a sense of danger. We take the battles far and above! Two or three of them happen in places where there have never been a battle between kaiju and robots. From the bottom of the ocean to the atmosphere of the Earth. We have a battle in a storm at sea. Every battle we try to do differently. One is seen from the point of view of a single person. We never cut away from that point of view." (6/20/12)
- Originally set for a May 10th 2013 theatrical release.
- Co-writer Patrick Melton shared some enthusiastic details about the film in a recent interview, saying: "It is going to kick major ass. It's giant monsters versus giant robots, and Guillermo del Toro is the only person who could bring it to you. That was an amazing experience, because we read the script, and so we went in knowing what the producers and studio wanted us to do; and we went in and met Guillermo, and he started showing us the tests by ILM. They were just mind-blowing. I think they'll probably show something at Comic-Con 2012. Because they should be done by then, or close to done by then. I'm telling you, it's gonna rule Hall H when Guillermo, the king of geeks, comes out and shows some of the stuff he's shot. People are gonna be blown away." He went on to add that this will likely be a PG-13 film, saying: "Nothing below PG-13 that I can think of. So this is his sort of four-quadrant movie. But it's got all the traits of a Guillermo movie, with the monsters and the younger characters and the things that go bump in the night… It's pretty great."
- Director Guillermo del Toro gave an update on production in a recent interview, saying: "We're at the end of our second week. We are shooting everything for the main complex in the movie, which is a huge complex in Hong Kong where the robots are maintained. We are doing that, while building downtown Hong Kong streets." (11/29/11)
- Writing duo Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan (Feast films, Saws 4-7, The Collector) are currently doing production rewrites on the script. (11/5/11)
- This marks the reunion of actor Ron Perlman and director Guillermo del Toro, after working together on the two Hellboy films.
- Guillermo del Toro was quoted saying: "It’s really, it’s a very, very beautiful poem to giant monsters. Giant monsters versus giant robots. Twenty-five-story-high robots beating the crap out of 25-story-high monsters. We’re trying to create a world in which the characters are real and how it would affect our world politically, how it would affect the landscape if creatures like this really came out of the sea, etc."
- Originally slated for a July 12th 2013 theatrical release.
- When asked what the film would involve, del Toro was quoted saying "Giant robots verses giant monsters. I cannot say more about the monsters. Some of the synopsis that is out there is not exactly accurate. There is going to be a gigantic spectacle of action, science fiction and horror."
- Idris Elba stars (The Losers, Thor) in the film; a role which was said to originally be developed for Tom Cruise.
- Fans may recognize actor Charlie Hunnam as Jax from the hit FX series Sons of Anarchy.
- A detailed and spoiler-filled description of the film's storyline can be found here.
- Now that director Guillermo del Toro's "dream project," At the Mountains of Madness is said to be in development hell with Universal, del Toro will reportedly be moving on to helm this film.
- It's said that this will be PG-13.
- The film's title is reference to where a majority of the action will take place: Los Angeles, Tokyo, Alaska, Australia and New Zealand.
- Scripted by Travis Beacham (Clash of the Titans remake).
A UHM staff member has not reviewed this film.