No official plot yet, but it's said to feature Reggie Bannister (a veteran of all five films) in his decades-long pursuit of the malevolent Tall Man, and it finally forces him to confront the mysteries at the heart of the Phantasm saga.
- In a recent press release Don Coscarelli had this to say about handing directing duties to someone else: "I felt it was time to let someone else play with my train set. David and I go back to my film Bubba Ho-Tep. He did terrific visual effects on that, and more recently created a wild animated sequence and some amazing visual effects in my most recent film, John Dies at the End. Our aesthetics are in sync and he’s quite an experienced director in his own right."
- Coscarelli was also quoted saying: "The Phantasm films have been a guerrilla operation for decades now, totally outside of the studio system. We do them for the fans, and I think Ravager will definitely please them. In the past few years several studios have made offers to remake Phantasm with large budgets, but the fans were very vocal that they wanted the original cast to return and finish this iteration of the story with class. And for the first time there’s an extended sequence on the Tall Man’s home world. I know Phantasm fans will be as excited as I am to see it. Adding..."There are also some surprises thrown in that I promise will astonish long-time fans."
- David Hartman was quoted saying: "This film is a real turning point in the series. There’s real closure for the core characters that I hope fans will respond to. We were fortunate to shoot amazing new sequences with horror icon Angus Scrimm—he has terrific scenes with Reggie (Bannister) and Mike (Michael Baldwin) that are truly powerful.”
- Apparently this sequel was secretly filmed in 2012/2013, where some of it was even partly shot in Crestline, CA at Reggie Bannister's own home.
- Word is that the original cast members from the past films will have appearances in the film, along with Don Coscarelli regulars.
- Co-writer/director David Hartman has an extensive resume, working on shows like Transformers Prime to Rob Zombie music videos like American Witch and Lords of Salem. He also worked on the films Bubba Ho-Tep and John Dies at the End, both of which were directed by Don Coscarelli.
- Reportedly Don Coscarelli (being the busy man that he is) didn't write or direct this installment, but has remained close to the production the entire time.
- Kathy Lester AKA The Lady in Lavender will make another appearance in the film. Fans may remember her as The Tall Man's female alter ego in the first film and came back in the third film to play a sexy nurse in the opening sequence.
- Apparently the film had the working title Reggie's Tales for several years.
- At one point New Line was going to help develop the project, but we'd see Don Coscarelli step away from the camera and only serve as producer. The initial hope was that if the film did well it would be the start of a new trilogy.
- Supposedly this sequel and any others that precede it will be "faithful" to the original films.
- It's said that if this film does well that a new Episode 1-type trilogy would be developed about Mike's "coming of age".
- The project is said to be influenced by a new screenplay by original creator Don Coscarelli and Stephen Romano.
- Roger Avary's (Silent Hill) script was rejected due to its extreme violence and need for a large budget due to its supposedly massive scope detailed in the script.
- Bruce Campbell was to have a "terrific role" in Avary's script.
- The quoted plot is from Roger Avary's axed script: "The year is 2012 and there are only three U.S. states left. Between New York and California is the wasteland known as the Plague Zone. Unfortunately, the evil Tall Man controls that area. Since many people are dead, the Tall Man is able to make thousands of dwarf slaves for his planet daily in the Mormon Mausoleum. Besides him, the other residents are "baggers," human-like creatures that are infected by the Tall Man's blood, the dwarves, and, of course, the silver spheres, all trying to break out of the barrier that contains them and into the real world. A group of hi-tech troops are sent in to destroy the red dimension where the Tall Man gets his power, Reggie follows so he can f hi-tech troops are sent in to destroy the red dimension where the Tall Man gets his power, Reggie follows so he can find Mike after a series of nightmares he had. Will they be able to finally destroy the Tall Man for good."
- You can follow early development updates at UHM's old page for the film here.
- When the project was originally reported it had the title Phantam's End, but during very early development it was referred to as Phantasm 1999.
- Originally thought to be the last addition to the Phantasm series.
A UHM staff member has not reviewed this film.