|Tags: 3-d, 3d, Alexandre Aja, blood, Christopher Lloyd, creatures, Dimension Films, fish, gore, Jerry O'Connell, Joe Dante, Kelly Brook, piranha, re-imagining, reboot, REMAKES, The Weinstein Company, Ving Rhames|
They’re back! Every year the population of sleepy Lake Havasu explodes from 5,000 to 50,000 for a single, wild weekend - the 4th of July, a riot of sun, drunken fun and sex-crazed mayhem. But this year, there's something more to worry about than hangovers and complaints from local old timers. Havasu sits in the crater formed by a prehistoric volcanic eruption, and when earth tremors tear open a crack in the lake floor, all hell breaks through.
Piranhas - a million ravenous, razor-toothed monsters, unchanged since the dawn of time. Unstoppable killing machines acting blindly under one primeval impulse: to hunt down anything that moves and strip it to the raw, bleeding bone. In seconds. As bodies start disappearing, beautiful, feisty dock manager Julie Tupper realizes the horrifying truth. The idyllic little town she calls home is facing unthinkable carnage, no one wants to listen... and her diving expert fiancé has gone missing on the water.
- Had an August 27th 2010 release before getting a week push forward to August 20th.
- Originally slated for a July 24th '09 theatrical release before production delays forced it to be pushed back. It was then given an April 16th 2010 release before once again getting pushed to later in the year.
- Dimension Films is distributing.
- Porn actress Riley Steele plays a frolicking beach-goer named "Crystal".
- Original director Joe Dante was going to have a cameo appearance, but was unable to make the shoot due to scheduling conflicts with his latest film The Hole.
- Christopher Lloyd plays a piranha expert named "Goodman".
- Veteran actor Richard Dreyfuss has a cameo role in the film that will reportedly play homage to his character "Matt Hooper" from the 1975 film Jaws.
- Actor Adam Scott will play a "diver for the U.S. Geological Service who helps discover the piranha outbreak."
- Actress Elisabeth Shu plays "Sheriff Julie Forester, a take-charge authority figure in the community of Lake Victoria."
- Alexandre Aja (High Tension, Hills Have Eyes) will write and direct.
- A French company called Wild Bunch is behind this.
- Budgeted between 19 to 24 million.
- Canton and Toberoff will produce while Steve Barnett, J. Todd Harris, Vincent Maraval and Chako VanLeeuwen will executive produce.
- Chuck Russell wrote the script using elements of drafts by Josh Stolberg and Peter Goldfinger, as well as the original John Sayles script that Joe Dante directed for the original. That came from a story by Richard Robertson.
- This is a remake of the 1978 film with the same name.
8/10 | Click here to read the official review from a UHM staff member.
All user reviews and new comments (if any) can also be found on that page.