In a revisionist take on the classic horror film, a family struggling to make ends meet relocates to an outdated suburban home and is confronted by an angry spirit who kidnaps their youngest daughter and challenges them to band together to rescue her from the clutches of evil.
- Originally had a February 13th 2015 theatrical release.
- Filmed in Toronto, Canada.
- Actor Sam Rockwell had a recent interview where he revealed some minor details on what to expect from the film, saying: "The 10-year-old boy is really the protagonist this time. JoBeth Williams was the protagonist for the most part in the first one and now the kid, it’s really through his point-of-view. So it’s more of a kids’ movie so I don’t know if it’s gonna be like rated-R scary. It’s not like Conjuring type of scary. You know, it’s a different kind of movie. It’s more of an adventure. It’s essentially a child abduction film when you come down to it. I mean, the original Poltergeist is too." (1/14/15)
- Said to be in 3D.
- Saxon Sharbino plays "16-year-old Kendra Bowen, the eldest of the three Bowen children."
- Kyle Catlett (The Following) plays a member of the Bowens family.
- Jared Harris (Mad Men) plays "Carrigan, a larger than life TV personality who left the world of academia behind to become the star host of basic cable TV show Haunted House Cleaners"
- Rosemarie DeWitt (Mad Men, United States of Tara) plays the female lead.
- It's said that this is a remake/sequel (much like they did with Evil Dead) where it supposedly takes place sometime after the events of the original film. Apparently the new family will find items left behind by the family from the original hidden inside the house to reiterate this fact.
- Rumor is that the wife in this new family can "communicate with the dead."
- Director Gil Kenan also helmed the 2006 animated film Monster House and City of Ember in 2008.
- Once had a November 24th 2010 theatrical release.
- Sam Raimi is producing, but will not be directing.
- David Lindsay-Abaire (Inkheart, Rabbit Hole) is handling the latest scripting duties.
- Vadim Perelman (House of Sand and Fog) was originally said to be directing.
- Writing duo Juliet Snowden and Stiles White (Boogeyman, The Waiting) wrote an early draft of the script.
- Original studio MGM is behind this.
- This project had been rumored for a number of years.
- The obvious remake to the classic 1982 Tobe Hooper film with the same name.
A UHM staff member has not reviewed this film.