The Umbrella Corporation’s deadly T-virus continues to ravage the Earth, transforming the global population into legions of the flesh eating Undead. The human race’s last and only hope, ALICE (Milla Jovovich), awakens in the heart of Umbrella's most clandestine operations facility and unveils more of her mysterious past as she delves further into the complex. Without a safe haven, Alice continues to hunt those responsible for the outbreak; a chase that takes her from Tokyo to New York, Washington, D.C. and Moscow, culminating in a mind-blowing revelation that will force her to rethink everything that she once thought to be true. Aided by new found allies and familiar friends, Alice must fight to survive long enough to escape a hostile world on the brink of oblivion. The countdown has begun.
- Was supposedly rumored to have the title Re5ident Evil: Retribution at one point.
- On Tuesday, October 11th 2011, 16 people were injured on the set during a scene that involved actors moving from one platform to another. A sudden movement led to the platform collapsing, leaving 16 people injured, with 10 of them having to go to the hospital. It's said that the actors were all zombie extras, so when the medics arrived they had to distinguish which were real wounds and which were simply make-up effects for the movie.
- Kevin Durand plays "Barry Burton."
- Chinese actress Li Bingbing (The Forbidden Kingdom, Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame) plays "Ada Wong."
- Writer/director Paul W.S. Anderson is not only bringing the Las Plagas parasite into the film, but he's apparently also lifting a scene straight from the fifth game. Here's what he had to say in a recent inreview: "We’re bringing in the Las Plagas parasite, which I love because it allows the undead to basically run around, ride motorbikes, and shoot machine guns, which no one’s done before. There’s a great action sequence which we’ve been inspired by from the fifth game, which is where the characters are driving in a Hummer through the desert and they’re being chased by zombies shooting machine guns on motorbikes. We’ve taken that and we’ve kind of run with it. We’re not gonna use a Hummer this time we’re gonna use a Rolls Royce Phantom, cause no one’s ever done a car chase with a Rolls Royce Phantom before. And I’ve discovered why, because it’s really, really expensive."
- Johann Urb plays "Leon Kennedy" who is said to be "the leader of the Resistance, who teams with Jovovich’s Alice character as she battles the Umbrella Corporation and the swarm of undead."
- Despite her death in the first movie, Michelle Rodriguez returns as "Rain Ocampo."
- Oded Rehr returns as "Carlos Olivera."
- Shawn Roberts returns as "Albert Wesker," whom is described as being "more badass than ever."
- Fans of the franchise can audition for a potential walk-on role for the film located here.
- Apparently we'll see the Las Plagas parasite (cause of the zombie-ish people in the Resident Evil 4 and 5 games) make an appearance in the movie. How big of a role it'll play in the story remains to be seen.
- Milla Jovovich revealed that previous characters Chris, Claire and K-mart have all been captured by Umbrella.
- Actor Boris Kodjoe returns as "Luther West," a character that was introduced in RE: Afterlife.
- Despite his death in the first movie, actor Colin Salmon (played character James "One" Shade in the first flick) will be returning for this sequel. However, in what capacity remains to be seen.
- It's said that Leon Kennedy and Barry Burton will have appearances in the film.
- It's said that the character "Ada Wong" (a Chinese secret agent) will make an appearance in the film.
- We will see the return of the Licker creatures.
- Paul W.S. Anderson returns to write and direct.
- Sienna Guillory returns as "Jill Valentine".
- Actress Milla Jovovich was quoted saying that the development of this film would probably be an interactive process, as the filmmakers will be listening more to the fans to find out what they'd want to see and what characters they'd like to have in a proposed sequel.
- Though not confirmed, it's likely to once again be featured in 3D.
- The obvious sequel to the Resident Evil films.
5/10 | Click here to read the official review from a UHM staff member.