Follows a podcaster who sets out to interview an eccentric, reclusive old seafarer, only to find himself a plaything in the gruesome plot of a deranged killer.
September 19, 2014
R "some disturbing violence/gore, language and sexual content."
Haley Joel Osment
- A24 and Demarest Films will distribute in the US.
- Filmed in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- Kevin Smith was recently quoted saying: "TUSK is the best flick with which I've ever been involved. Holy shit, did Michael Parks and Justin Long CRUSH it! This flick is like porn if you like to watch actors emote and say fucked up things about shipwrecks and sharks and Ernest Hemmingway and walruses and terror and madness. And that's all long before we show you what a human-walrus looks like. In order for TUSK to work at all, the whole flick depended on the cat-and-mouse relationship of Parks' and Long's characters. I was looking for an 8 on the excellence scale; they both turned in 100's. Career best work from both, and all I did was point a camera at it and smile the whole time."
- Haley Joel Osment will play "Teddy, whose best friend and podcast co-host (Justin Long) goes missing in the backwoods of Canada. He joins forces with his friend’s girlfriend (Genesis Rodriguez) to search for him"
- Apparently Kevin Smith wanted Quentin Tarantino to have a role in the film as a detective, but Tarantino reportedly declined the offer, stating he "had no interest in acting at the moment."
- The original synopsis was said to be "about a man who was once lost at sea with a walrus as his only companion. When the man finally returns home he finds himself lonely and puts out an ad for a roommate, with the condition that the roommate wear a walrus costume and act like the animal."
- Kevin Smith had a recent interview where he was quoted saying: "As weird as it is in my head when I talk about it, they finally sent me the costume designs by Robert Kurtzman, and I was like, ‘Holy sh-t, it’s a monster movie, I had no idea.’ I thought I was making a kind of sister thriller to Red State. As soon as I saw the designs, I go, ‘Of course this is a monster movie and he’s Dr. Frankenstein.’"
- Michael Parks (Red State) plays the "Dr. Frankenstein" character.
- Justin Long (Jeepers Creepers) plays the unfortunate roommate.
- This project apparently started out as kind of a joke over Kevin Smith's podcast: "The listing got my creative juices flowing and I began reconstructing the whole thing as an old British Hammer horror film, in which a mad scientist intends to sew some hapless lodger into counterfeit blubber, creating a chimera in an effort to answer the ultimate riddle, 'Is man, indeed, a walrus at heart?!' Mosier and I took the tale in more and more ridiculous directions, cracking ourselves up. And then, in the midst of all the fun, you can hear something strange happen: as stoned as I always am, this walrus picture was starting to sound like a worthy endeavor – or at the very least, a movie I’d like to see."
- Based on an actual online listing from someone in the UK. Details of the ad can be found here.
A UHM staff member has not reviewed this film.