|Tags: 3-d, 3d, action, Charles Dance, India Eisley, Kate Beckinsale, Michael Ealy, Sandrine Holt, Screen Gems, SEQUELS, Stephen Rea, Theo James, Underworld, VAMPIRES, WEREWOLVES|
Kate Beckinsale, star of the first two films, returns in her lead role as the vampire warrioress Selene, who escapes imprisonment to find herself in a world where humans have discovered the existence of both Vampire and Lycan clans, and are conducting an all-out war to eradicate both immortal species.
- Filmed in Vancouver.
- Co-director Bjorn Stein confirmed in a recent interview that this will be the start of a new trilogy, saying: "[This] is the beginning of something new. I'll say that our ending is totally leaving the door open for a future."
- Originally titled Underworld: New Dawn.
- The original premise is as follows: "After being held in a coma-like state for fifteen years, vampire Selene (Kate Beckinsale) learns that she has a fourteen-year-old vampire/Lycan hybrid daughter, Nissa, and when she finds her, they must stop BioCom from creating super Lycans that will kill them all."
- Though unconfirmed, actress India Eisley (The Secret Life of the American Teenager) may be playing the role of Selene's daughter.
- Actor Michael Ealy (Sleeper Cell, Takers) plays "a police detective who hunts [Selene] and ultimately teams up with her."
- Fans of the series got a chance to submit an audition of themselves for the chance of a speaking role in the film by clicking here.
- The film once had a January 21st then a September 23rd 2011 theatrical release.
- Mans Marlind and Bjorn Stein are a Swedish directing duo that made their English-language debut with Shelter, starring Julianne Moore and Jonathan Rhys Meyers.
- It's said that Selene now has a daughter in the film.
- Recent reports indicate that it will no longer be in 3D, however no official word has been released.
- Original writer/director Len Wiseman was originally thought to be returning, but is only serving as producer.
- John Hlavin was quoted saying the following about the project: "I can tell you it's not a prequel. It will satisfy old fans and excite new audiences, meaning that we don't want to redo the first three movies, so steps are being taken to honor what fans have loved but at the same time introduce fresh elements."
- Writer John Hlavin also served as writer for the FX series The Shield.
- Actress Kate Beckinsale reprises her role as "Selene."
- Previous director Patrick Tatopoulos will not be returning.
- It's said that this will be the start of a new trilogy of sequels.
- The fourth installment in the Underworld franchise.
8/10 | Click here to read the official review from a UHM staff member.
All user reviews and new comments (if any) can also be found on that page.