Rose Hathaway is a dhampir, half-vampire and half-human, who is training to be a guardian at St Vladimir's Academy along with many others like her. There are good and bad vampires in their world: Moroi, who co-exist peacefully among the humans and only take blood from donors, and also possess the ability to control one of the four elements - water, earth, fire or air; and Strigoi, blood-sucking, evil vampires who drink to kill. Rose and other dhampir guardians are trained to protect Moroi and kill Strigoi throughout their education. Along with her best friend Princess Vasilisa Dragomir, a Moroi in possession of the almost unheard of element called spirit that forged a nigh unbreakable bond, Rose must run away from St Vladimir's, in order to protect Lissa from those who wish to harm the princess and use her for their own means.
- A motion poster can be found here.
- Gabriel Bryne plays "Victor, one of the leaders of the Academy."
- Joely Richardson plays "Queen Tatiana, leader of the Moroi Vampires."
- Dominic Sherwood plays "Christian, Lissa’s love interest."
- Sarah Hyland plays "Natalie, Victor’s daughter and the best friend of the lead Rose and Lissa characters"
- Danila Kozlovski plays Dimitri.
- Zoey Deutch (Beautiful Creatures) plays the lead Rose Hathaway.
- Lucy Fry plays Lissa Dragomir.
- Olga Kurylenko (Quantum of Solace, Centurion, Oblivion) plays "Kirova, the head mistress of Vampire Academy."
- Based on the popular young adult novel series.
A UHM staff member has not reviewed this film.