In Zombie Apocalypse, when zombies start to take control of the world they turn into malevolent versions of their former selves with any previous physical combat skills enhanced to almost superhuman level, making eradication near impossible. Into this seething hell a squad of eight Special Forces soldiers are assigned a suicide mission to rescue a scientist from a city ruled by the undead.
Chee Keong Cheung
Chee Keong Cheung
- Production is estimated for a Q4 2011 start date.
- Writer/Director Chee Keong Cheung had this to say: "Having been fascinated by zombie and war films I felt a fusion of the two, combined with martial arts, would provide a unique experience for film fans, and the opportunity for a unique action-packed event movie and Carlos and Kevin’s formidable experience in successful genre movies will help me realise that vision. I have profound respect for both the action and zombie genres and I hope to really thrill fans with the approach I have planned. We have some very exciting talent attached that we hope to announce soon and rest assured that every second of screen time is going to be dedicated to delivering what genre fans deserve. I’m also excited to confirm that Carlos Gallardo will not only act as an Executive Producer but will also be joining the cast as one of the as one of the eight Elite Special Forces Soldiers in the movie."
- Executive Producer, Kevin Eastman describes why he’s on board: "I’m a big action and zombie fan and I'm really excited Chee asked me to be part of the film. When Chee showed me the script and told me what he wanted to do with it, I just thought it was awesome. I think what’s interesting is Chee’s taken the best elements of all the zombie films I'd ever seen and turned it on its ear by adding this element of mixed martial arts to it. I think it’s going to be new, fresh and what he’s going to do with it is exceptional. I love Chee's vision and style and honestly believe Chee is a part of the ‘next wave’ of new directors that will take the genre-based medium I thrive in to newer and greater heights!"
- Executive produced by Carlos Gallardo (producer of El Mariachi, Desperado and Once Upon a Time in Mexico), and Kevin Eastman (co-creator of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the owner of Heavy Metal Publishing).
- A graphic novel and merchandise are also planned.
- Described as a "unique combination of the action, zombie horror and war genres with the added element of mixed martial arts."
- The first in a planned trilogy.
- Zombie Apocalypse is said to be a working title and may change later on.