PDA

View Full Version : Is Punk Dead?

Misfit
06-09-2008, 09:12 PM
decided to start a thread on this topic..which was brought up in the chat.

i think punk is dead, sure we have some forms of it still in the music industry today. but over all i think its dead.....this is just to start if off so i wont express much of my opinion right away

Shreds
06-09-2008, 09:30 PM
PUNK IS NOT DEAD

3/6
06-09-2008, 09:31 PM
punk is dead, as well as Knight when i get ahold of em

Get Some
06-09-2008, 09:37 PM
punk is long dead in my opinion

Misfit
06-09-2008, 09:39 PM
:mhehe:

Misfit
06-09-2008, 09:41 PM
bands these days cant hold the true feelings that punk had back in the 80's

Red
06-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Punk died with Return of the Living Dead.

But if we were to listen to alot people out there. They'll have you believe all music is dead and today artists are only good with their initial work. After that they become expendable sellouts and their fans abandon their work.

Knight
06-09-2008, 10:02 PM
No way is punk dead when you have Blink 182 on tour and selling millions of records. :mhehe:

Misfit
06-09-2008, 10:05 PM
:eyes: and here comes the fight

Wrathborne
06-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Used to dig punk back in the late 90's...but the lovely bastards been dead for a long time now...Stupid Blink 182, phony ass punk band.

Luris Blear
06-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Punk is very possibly the ultimate form of self-expression with a guitar.

This genre encompasses everything from Dylan-esque guitar riffs and deeply personal songs (ie, Green Day's Paper Lanterns) wild, unashamed and highly technical Steve-Vai quality playing The Vandals: Kill My Tenant.

Songs such as Holiday in Cambodia, God Save the Queen, or even American Idiot have the capacity to change our planet for the better every bit as much as Farm Aid or We Are the World.

Punk is perfection: stripped down, brutal idealism delivered with three-chords and an off-key sneer. Punk can never die.

3/6
06-09-2008, 11:35 PM
No way is punk dead when you have Blink 182 on tour and selling millions of records. :mhehe:
:die:
god you suck
words cant describe how handicapped you are

FYI blink-182 broke up 5 years ago
:dsp:

KING
06-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Punk died to make way for METAL!! :ahheh:

Shreds
06-10-2008, 12:11 AM

PUNK IS NOT DEAD

dead breed
06-10-2008, 12:13 AM

:D

UzumakiW
06-10-2008, 01:05 AM

:bigthumbup:

Aurone
06-10-2008, 01:18 AM
While I can't stand the music, I just hope Punk lives for the sake of an old friend from school, I know the bassist in Broadway Calls who's just now getting a record deal and is touring the Warped tour this year.

realizm
06-10-2008, 01:45 AM
from what my cousin used to tell me in the 90's punk been dead since rancid sold out and because of blink182

Misfit
06-10-2008, 07:42 AM
rancid and that indestructable album, man that was gay

choptop2
06-10-2008, 07:53 AM
Punk is dead, it died a long time ago. Any kid covering their mathbook in Anarchy symbols and buying up patches from hot topic, . when bands shout about destroying coporate america, then use Myspace(owned by Fox News Corp) to promote, it just proves: Punk is dead.

Gilly?
06-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Punk isn't dead. It's just shit now.

WarBeast
06-10-2008, 09:55 AM
The way I figure it, as long as there are people out there that love the music in question, no music genre can truly die.... perhaps punk is alive and well, but just living underground... where it likes to be...

Red
06-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Not sure why people keep mentioning Blink 182.

I always thought of them as a meh band with no real defined genre IMO. They werent EMO nor where they part of that time period where boy groups where so prevalent like a N Sync or BB. I wouldnt call them straight punk either. They were just kinda there and they've been split up and dead for awhile now.

Gilly?
06-10-2008, 10:13 AM
The way I figure it, as long as there are people out there that love the music in question, no music genre can truly die.... perhaps punk is alive and well, but just living underground... where it likes to be...

That makes sense. Most bands that are underground tend to be the better ones too. Like most metal bands.

realizm
06-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Not sure why people keep mentioning Blink 182.

I always thought of them as a meh band with no real defined genre IMO. They werent EMO nor where they part of that time period where boy groups where so prevalent like a N Sync or BB. I wouldnt call them straight punk either. They were just kinda there and they've been split up and dead for awhile now.

because when punk started to get notice by the mainstream you had Blink182 all over mtv... dont quote me because ive never been a fan of punk i just had friends and family who were into the 80's and 90's scene... but i guess they felt blink182 was pussypop punk music not the real underground punk music... also you had a shitload of mainstream pussypop punk copycat that fallowed and killed it more IMO I.E. Good Charlotte, sum41 ect...

Galerian
06-10-2008, 12:56 PM

Very well put.:coolbeer:

3/6
06-10-2008, 02:59 PM
because when punk started to get notice by the mainstream you had Blink182 all over mtv... dont quote me because ive never been a fan of punk i just had friends and family who were into the 80's and 90's scene... but i guess they felt blink182 was pussypop punk music not the real underground punk music... also you had a shitload of mainstream pussypop punk copycat that fallowed and killed it more IMO I.E. Good Charlotte, sum41 ect...

blink-182 never changed thier style of music...they were simply a pop-punk band, listen to Buddha or Chesitre cat its the same style as Enema of Take off your pants and jacket.. their main influcences were Decendents and Screeching Weasel..pop-punk bands, that were never really Popular or mainstream"ish"..i know its impossible for punk to be pop, cause that goes against everything tis about, but there was "pop-punk" way before blink-182 and greenday hit the mainstream, it was underground

and uh yeah, as long as kids are buying pathes and what not from Hot Topic, punk is dead...its wayyy to marketable...look at the Warped TOur now...its called "Vans Warped Tour" :die:
best punk is mid/late 80s :D

and sum 41 is str8...but Good Chatlette is fuckin horrible

Shreds
06-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Punks dont buy patches from Hot Topic....n00bz

PUNK IS NOT DEAD

choptop2
06-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Poor Shreds.

Punks now are exactly like Renaissance Fair dorks. Both dressed in the clothing and imitating the habits of a time long, long gone.

Gatsu18
06-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Punk is very possibly the ultimate form of self-expression with a guitar.

This genre encompasses everything from Dylan-esque guitar riffs and deeply personal songs (ie, Green Day's Paper Lanterns) wild, unashamed and highly technical Steve-Vai quality playing The Vandals: Kill My Tenant.

Songs such as Holiday in Cambodia, God Save the Queen, or even American Idiot have the capacity to change our planet for the better every bit as much as Farm Aid or We Are the World.

Punk is perfection: stripped down, brutal idealism delivered with three-chords and an off-key sneer. Punk can never die.

:point:

I'm sorry but that is the most retarded god damned claim I have ever heard and I officially want you dead. Emotion in the form of repetative power cords and barely enough talent to fill a tea cup. American Idiot? Wow. No you're right, that can change the world. There is no beauty in the lyrics. No soul in the sound. Nothing that would signify anything you just said. Granted I'm not a big punk fan but at least I recognize beauty when I see it.

And sorry, the begining of this post was uncalled for. But I just STRONGLY disagree with you.

Shreds
06-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Poor Shreds.

Punks now are exactly like Renaissance Fair dorks. Both dressed in the clothing and imitating the habits of a time long, long gone.

PUNK IS NOT DEAD

To me, punk is still very much alive, I saw it last weekend. You just won't be able to find it on MTV.

What bands?

Gatsu18
06-10-2008, 09:01 PM
It's safe to say that it's not dead. Maybe dying. But not dead. It just doesn't have the power it once did.

Luris Blear
06-10-2008, 10:43 PM
:point:

I'm sorry but that is the most retarded god damned claim I have ever heard and I officially want you dead. Want all you'd like. I'm going to live forever -- JUST LIKE PUNK! :eyebrow2:

Grendel
06-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Punks now are exactly like Renaissance Fair dorks. Both dressed in the clothing and imitating the habits of a time long, long gone.Not sure if that's 100% correct, but I'm definitely feeling it.

The question is: is the music, itself, divisible from the fans?

Gatsu18
06-10-2008, 11:58 PM
Want all you'd like. I'm going to live forever -- JUST LIKE PUNK! :eyebrow2:

Heh I'm glad you have a sense of humor about it. I actually felt pretty bad after that post. A little harsher then I wanted.

Luris Blear
06-11-2008, 12:04 AM
It's cool Gatsu.

Look, for the record, I openly compared the Dead Kennedys to We Are the World. The sense of humor started long before your reply.