Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 706
    Quote Originally Posted by JigsawX View Post
    Hey, I've still not seen Tourist Trap or Rosemary's Baby - we all get behind on the classics at times.
    Yeah I take the Jaws defense on this one. I tend to actively avoid movies were animals are the focus of the horror.

In a Glass Cage (1986)
    The Stall (2013)(short)
    The Killer Krapper (2000)(short)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    * First time watch
    365 Days of Horror 2020-2021 https://boxd.it/97ywm

Zombiefied Zealot
    The Ancient One

Status
    Last Online
    11-18-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 286
    Given: 328
    Hellraiser
    Hellbound: Hellraiser 2
    The Killer Krapper

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Like, so many people out there were trying to track this down. And it just...got delivered on a tweet. What the hell.

"The individual's rights will be protected only so long as they don't conflict with the state."

“Watch your thoughts, they become words;
    watch your words, they become actions;
    watch your actions, they become habits;
    watch your habits, they become character;
    watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    07-01-2022

Member #
    Threads
    Follow JigsawX On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 3
    Broken Notes (2008)

If you're a fan of Silent Hill 2 (the video game, to be clear), then you may get a kick out of this moderately obscure Spanish flick. It's basically a live-action version of the game, which has it's pros and cons. Pros being, if you're a fan of the game, then you'll probably enjoy how closely the movie follows it. But if you're like me, and know next to nothing about the games, then the movie seems mostly like a mess. There's a plot, being a man going to Silent Hill in order to find his wife (who died three years earlier, but as he got a letter from her, that's suspect information), but it feels rather disjointed. The dialogue is both stilted and awkward (though that may be partially due to the translation from Spanish as opposed to the script-writer), and some things don't make much sense. Almost everything's a metaphorical representation of something, and while occasionally deep, that doesn't do much for me. Parts of the movie just don't seem to follow the previous scenes, and that's not something I care much for. What also has to be discussed is the audio quality of the film. There's not a whole lot of talking in this movie, but there's also not much “in-world” sounds, and by that, I mean if a character hits another character with a crowbar, there's no thump. It's just silent, as if it's in a vacuum. It happens throughout the film, and it's at best mildly distracting. The color scheme of the film (sort of a faded palate; you can see different colors, but the only one that really sticks out is red) was unique, and did help with the dreamy quality of the film. That's one thing the film should really get props for – the dreamy atmosphere. It's helped along by the aforementioned disjointed scenes, odd dialogue, color scheme, and audio. So basically, everything in this movie adds to the dreamy atmosphere, which does come across as cool, but again, that's not something I'm a big fan of. It's somewhat similar to another obscure film titled Silver Cell (2011), though I actually liked that one quite a lot more. Broken Notes seems to be for hardcore fans of Silent Hill 2, but anyone else who watches it, while they can get a plot out of it, will feel as though something's missing. So for the right crowd, this movie may actually be, if not a fun, an interesting ride. For me, though, given it's hour and 40 minute run-time, it was just tedious. 4.5/10.

"I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams."

Zombiefied Zealot
    Hate the voices.

Status
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 266
    Given: 355
    Just saw "Cherry Tree": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3792330/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
    What a piece of crap, do yourself a favor and avoid this one. 1/10

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    07-01-2022

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Offerings (1989)

So, you all know me: if it's an 80's slasher, chances are high that I love the movie. And this late 80's addition to the genre is no different. After a prank goes awry, those involved are slaughtered ten years later. Plot-wise, there's not much going on, and I thought it worked out just fine. This independent Oklahoma rip-off of Halloween was a lot of fun. It's low-budget, but has a lot of heart (think HauntedWeen, and this won't be the last time I make the comparison). The musical score is a complete copy of Halloween's, and the final twenty minutes (along with the fact the killer is mute, and just escaped from a mental institution) takes heavily from Halloween also. Even so, there's some memorable stuff in here, from hammy acting to decent kills. While the gore was kept to a minimum, there was some decent blood during a few scenes (which is definitely one area where HauntedWeen one-ups this film). The acting was about how you'd expect, but I got a kick out of it. Our main girl Gretchen (played by Loretta Leigh Bowman) did her part well, and was an attractive young lady to boot. We got two zany side-characters, one being a mortician's intern (played comically by Mark Massey – his only other role was in the SOV horror film The Ripper form 1985) and the other being Deputy Buddy (played by Barry Brown – his only other film being an early 90's crime/thriller, which, worth noting, is the only other film the director of this movie directed). Both were zany goodness with strong Oklahoma accents (which is a trait shared by almost every cast member, our lead girl with the most notable accent). Perhaps my favorite character, though, is Sheriff Chism. He's a genial, nice guy, who actually tries his best to help the girls out. Really, Chism's a great character, and I had fun with him. The actor who portrayed him, G. Michael Smith, has only this single movie under his belt, which is a shame. Most likely, he's just a citizen of Oklahoma City (where this was filmed) who the director thought fit the role best, and boy, does he ever. This movie had a few comedic scenes thrown in (including one juxtaposition near the end which I laughed aloud at), and overall, Offerings was a fun film. While lacking in the gore department, I got a kick out of this one, and while it might appeal purely to slasher fans of the bygone era, it's a movie I recommend. 7.5/10.

"I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams."

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Sleepaway Camp
    Sleepaway Camp II
    Sleepaway Camp III

Last edited by Primetimeloser; 03-05-2017 at 11:22 AM.
    * First time watch

Zombiefied Zealot
    Majestic ruler of scavengers

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 72
    Rings (2017) - 5/10 A whole lotta back story that wasn't all that great. But I didn't turn it off and watched to the end. That has to be worth 1 whole point.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    07-01-2022

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Dark Echo (1977)

This obscure Yugoslavian-USA joint production (filmed partly in Austria) is, as another reviewer said, partially a precursor to The Fog. In a small lake-side village in Austria, individuals are being killed in mysterious ways. Though the townsfolk themselves are naturally superstitious, the evidence begins to point to the spirit of a captain blamed for the shipwreck causing the deaths of eighty people 100 years ago, those being killed in the present descendants of those who blamed Captain Gohr. It's a fun plot, and while it doesn't have the atmosphere of The Fog, one can see how such comparisons can be made. This movie boasts a decent cast, those standing out including Joel Fabiani (playing the main character), Karin Dor (who looked a lot like a young Allison Janney), and Wolfgang Brook (this is, in fact, his only movie). Fabiani played his character, a care-free, martini-drinking psychic, beautifully, and had some good lines throughout. Wolfgang Brook, despite this being his only film (at least according to IMDb) did well as an Inspector in a bad situation, getting worse by the day. While the gore wasn't the standout feature of this film (for the first hour and ten minutes, thereabouts, it had a television movie feel to it), there was a good stabbing about an hour and ten minutes in, along with a surprisingly violent scene in which a woman got the top of her skull chopped off, blood spewing and her brain falling out onto a table. Special effects in those scenes were done well, and the spirit/zombie of Gohr looked pretty good also. The movie did lose a bit of steam, ironically enough, toward the end, and the final twenty minutes were a bit more unsteady than I'd have preferred, but overall, I thought the movie did well for itself. It's certainly a slower flick, and it wouldn't appeal to everyone, but the cast and the story did the movie justice. Quick note: some claim that the movie's from 1986 (as does the copyright state at the end of the film), but it felt more like a 70's movie to me, and as IMDb lists it as 1977, that year it will stay). Solid movie, and while not amazing, a good flick to watch on a rainy day. 7/10.

The Stoner In The Horror Movie
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 80
    Hansel & Gretel Get Baked
    Volumes of Blood

Non Horror Draft Winners
    #1 Get Some
    #2 Steelba
    #3 Steelba
    #4 strtfghtr

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    07-01-2022

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Hell Night (1981)

Hell Night was a decent movie, but it actually didn't do nearly as much as I thought it would, especially given the taken and time period. At an hour and forty minutes, this movie's a tad longer than most slashers of the 80's, but more than anything else, things felt drawn out as opposed to expanded upon. The reveal near the end was sort of cool (though expected), but it didn't really mean much, as there wasn't all that much back story given to why exactly the killer went out of his way to kill during this night and not previous initiations. The 1980's mentality was fun – I loved the soundtrack and most of the dialogue (while some of the acting was lacking) was pretty amusing. But given the length of the movie, I was expecting a bit more than I got. Loved the atmosphere throughout most of the film, and most of the kills were acceptable (though only a few really stuck out to me), but something was missing. What that was, I don't know, but despite all I enjoyed about it (including Linda Blair's decently done character), it falls just below average. 6.5/10.

Zombiefied Zealot
    Hate the voices.

Status
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Thumbs Up
    "Mountain of the Cannibal God" by Sergio Martino.

It was actually rather enjoyable, in spite of complete lack of plot, acting and basically everything else. For a cannibal flick the gore was pretty tame. Still its a classic, I suppose... 5/10

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    07-01-2022

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Out of the classic Italian cannibal films I've seen, Mountain of the Cannibal God's my favorite.

The Slumber Party Massacre (1982)

My views on this film haven't much changed since I last saw it. It's a quick-paced, fun, cheesy slasher movie. The 80's soundtrack is both fun and nostalgic, and the female nudity is both memorable and captivating. At under 80 minutes, this movie doesn't take long for things to begin happening, and given that the story's moderately paper-thin, that's only a positive. The killer is a bit uninspired, but I do like the his choice of weaponry, being a drill. Gore throughout the film is pretty good, and given the quick-paced nature of the movie, it really doesn't seem like all that long a time. The Slumber Party Massacre is a simple movie, and while most of the characters are decent, none of them really stand out (though the neighbor, played by Rigg Kennedy, is a damn cool cat), it's a fun movie that is always a good time. Not a long review, but don't have much to say. A good slasher worth watching. 7.5/10.

Zombiefied Zealot
    Hate the voices.

Status
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by JigsawX View Post
    Out of the classic Italian cannibal films I've seen, Mountain of the Cannibal God's my favorite.
    Really? I find that surprising.... What puts it ahead of films like "Cannibal Holocaust", or "Cannibal Ferox"?

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    07-01-2022

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mutilated View Post
    Really? I find that surprising.... What puts it ahead of films like "Cannibal Holocaust", or "Cannibal Ferox"?
    A fair point, but I've not seen either one of those as of yet. When I do, I'd expect at least Cannibal Holocaust to edge out Mountain of the Cannibal God.

Black Rock (2012)

Two dishonorably discharged soldiers try to hunt down and kill three women on a remote Maine island after their friend is killed by one of the women in self-defense. This movie doesn't have a lot going on, really – six total characters, and really, only five get all that much screen-time. It felt like a cheaper version of Eden Lake, more or less, While at first I didn't know where the story was going, once the catalyst to the action occurred, everything afterward was pretty predictable. The gore was decent, more on the realistic side as opposed to a splatter film. What was really the strong point of the movie was the friendship, somewhat strained, between the three main female friends. While the dialogue can sometimes feel like a bit much, I thought it worked out well, and the actresses all did a decently good job (Kate Bosworth being my favorite, as I also enjoyed her performance in 2008's crime/drama movie 21). For most of the beginning, it felt like a really friendship, and to me, they seemed to talk like real people, which isn't something that is always seen in movies. Past a certain point, though, things drag a bit, which is saying something, as the film's under 80 minutes. It starts out decently strong, but peters out about twenty minutes in or so. All-in-all, Black Rock's not a bad movie, but in the end, it feels rather more average than I'd have preferred. 6.5/10.

The Stoner In The Horror Movie
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 80
    Black Sabbath
    The Howling

Non Horror Draft Winners
    #1 Get Some
    #2 Steelba
    #3 Steelba
    #4 strtfghtr

Zombiefied Zealot
    Hate the voices.

Status
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Thumbs Up
    "Incarnate 2016"

Really hard to decide on this one for me. It's kinda an "Inception" knock-off, and while the story is mostly uninteresting - the film really has its moments. Even got a little chill up the spine, which is a pretty rare occurence by now... 5/10

Zombiefied Zealot
    The Ancient One

Status
    Last Online
    11-18-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 286
    Given: 328
    The House Where Death Lives

Like, so many people out there were trying to track this down. And it just...got delivered on a tweet. What the hell.

"The individual's rights will be protected only so long as they don't conflict with the state."

“Watch your thoughts, they become words;
    watch your words, they become actions;
    watch your actions, they become habits;
    watch your habits, they become character;
    watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Horns
    The Gate

* First time watch

Obluda
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    1 Hour Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sad
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 239
    Freaks

10/10

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    The Frighteners

* First time watch

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1148 of 1377 FirstFirst ... 1486481048109811281139114011411142114311441145114611471148114911501151115211531154115511561157116811981248 ... LastLast