My Mood
    Devilish
    Add Coker on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 69
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID el_neilicus
    300: Rise of an Empire. 3.5/10: Okay. For starters, I genuinely enjoyed the first 300 movie. I felt that it was able to capture the feeling and cinematic brilliance of the source material (not entirely a difficult task, given that the source material runs a “burly” 117 pages) but I felt that they accomplished a rare goal: they were able to make a movie that gave superb translation to a graphic novel. Then there came this movie.. 300: Rise of an Empire. My complaints with this movie start in the first 5 minutes of this movie. At the end of the original 300 they bookend the story beautifully by finishing the story where they began, with Dilios finishing his tale and leading a larger than 300 army into battle against the Persian horde. The beginning of 300: Rise of an Empire is obviously written by someone who did not read 300 and did not see the movie 300. The scene of Dilios riding with his large army to fight the Persian Horde? Didn’t happen. Dilios losing his eye and becoming the person cursed with a long life so that he may pass on the tale of the mighty 300 who lost their lives so that Sparta may remain free? Didn’t happen. You see, the main army that fights against the Persian horde in 300: Rise of an Empire are the Athenians.. do you remember that scene in 300 where King Leonidas shames the Athenians into revealing that their army are filled with artisans, peasants, and potters? Well, not any more.. apparently.. now the Athenians are an army filled with soldiers that are equal if not better than the entire Spartan elite combined. They have the same determination, they have the same training, they even have the same ability to slow down time so that they can enjoy their superb skills at killing in slow-mo. Moreover, their bald-headed coward of a leader that was more than happy to guard the paths that would see no battle in 300 has now been replaced by a superhuman who is overtly as bloodthirsty as Leonidas and has quite the charisma when it comes to pep-talking his soldiers. The reviews are not entirely misleading though, Eva Green’s character/performance is top-notch. Genuinely if this were a stand-alone movie that had nothing to with 300.. it might not have been so bad.. but rewriting a perfectly good movie and shitting on what is easily one of the better Action/War movies of the last 10 years? You better bring a better than perfect movie to the table.. not some half-assed passionless grab for cash.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    ~Wake up! Time to die.~

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 27
    Lost Time - 4-10. ......... Decent premise but i dont think many directors can handle the "twist" in an effective and appropriate manner.

UHM Emissary
    Long live the new flesh

Status
    Last Online
    01-19-2024

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 706
    Spice World

* First time watch
    365 Days of Horror 2020-2021 https://boxd.it/97ywm

Rotting Zealot
    Go quickly, travel safely, my
    young friend, to the land of
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 228
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    Quote Originally Posted by Coker View Post
    My complaints with this movie start in the first 5 minutes of this movie. At the end of the original 300 they bookend the story beautifully by finishing the story where they began, with Dilios finishing his tale and leading a larger than 300 army into battle against the Persian horde. The beginning of 300: Rise of an Empire is obviously written by someone who did not read 300 and did not see the movie 300. The scene of Dilios riding with his large army to fight the Persian Horde? Didn’t happen. Dilios losing his eye and becoming the person cursed with a long life so that he may pass on the tale of the mighty 300 who lost their lives so that Sparta may remain free? Didn’t happen.
    So? He was a minor character in 300, anyway. Besides, most of the movie wasn't about the Spartans.

You see, the main army that fights against the Persian horde in 300: Rise of an Empire are the Athenians.. do you remember that scene in 300 where King Leonidas shames the Athenians into revealing that their army are filled with artisans, peasants, and potters? Well, not any more.. apparently.. now the Athenians are an army filled with soldiers that are equal if not better than the entire Spartan elite combined. They have the same determination, they have the same training, they even have the same ability to slow down time so that they can enjoy their superb skills at killing in slow-mo. Moreover, their bald-headed coward of a leader that was more than happy to guard the paths that would see no battle in 300 has now been replaced by a superhuman who is overtly as bloodthirsty as Leonidas and has quite the charisma when it comes to pep-talking his soldiers.
    You do realise that is more or less historically accurate? The Athenians were instrumental in defeating the Persian empire. The "superhuman" is Themistocles, who was a real Athenian general who actually fought in those battles.

Fair enough if you don't like the movie, but your criticism doesn't make any sense.

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

the sage of absurd
    BEATNGU

Status
    Last Online
    02-15-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Add Coker on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID el_neilicus
    Quote Originally Posted by CountOrlok View Post
    So? He was a minor character in 300, anyway. Besides, most of the movie wasn't about the Spartans.

You do realise that is more or less historically accurate? The Athenians were instrumental in defeating the Persian empire. The "superhuman" is Themistocles, who was a real Athenian general who actually fought in those battles.

Fair enough if you don't like the movie, but your criticism doesn't make any sense.
    My criticism doesn't make any sense? Rewriting aspects of a far superior movie so that they can justify putting the title 300 on this movie? It's a fucking lame attempt to get asses in the theater seats. If this is a "more historically accurate" movie.. then let it stand on its own. The original was a near perfect adaptation of the source material. This movie, however, shit all over it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    ~Wake up! Time to die.~

Rotting Zealot
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    My criticism doesn't make any sense? Rewriting aspects of a far superior movie so that they can justify putting the title 300 on this movie? It's a fucking lame attempt to get asses in the theater seats. If this is a "more historically accurate" movie.. then let it stand on its own. The original was a near perfect adaptation of the source material. This movie, however, shit all over it.
    You do know that Frank Miller wrote both 300 and the source material this is based on? And that both 300 and this are based off actual historical events (the Greco-Persian wars)? So what is your problem, exactly?

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Master of Brutality
    Back at it again.

Status
    Last Online
    10-10-2020

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Add UzumakiW on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 75
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID UzumakiW Steam ID UzumakiW
    Con Air.

Always a fun movie.

"We all go a little mad sometimes"

the sage of absurd
    BEATNGU

Status
    Last Online
    02-15-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Add Coker on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID el_neilicus
    You do know that Frank Miller wrote both 300 and the source material this is based on? And that both 300 and this are based off actual historical events (the Greco-Persian wars)? So what is your problem, exactly?
    I honestly don't think either of us are going to understand where the other is coming from and honestly if you think this movie justifies as much defense as you are putting up then our differences are based on personal taste and that is a debate that will never end.. With this in mind I refuse to continue this exchange any further.

~Wake up! Time to die.~

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 433
    The Dark Knight Rises

...I can't ignore how stupid the script is anymore, I just don't care. Nolan knows his craft and how to tell a story, he just can't seem to recognize bad writing before turning a shit script into great cinema. There's so much I still enjoy about this film I'm able to not let the warts bug me so much.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rotting Zealot
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    I honestly don't think either of us are going to understand where the other is coming from and honestly if you think this movie justifies as much defense as you are putting up then our differences are based on personal taste and that is a debate that will never end.. With this in mind I refuse to continue this exchange any further.
    I just think you're being unfair in your criticism.. if you hate the movie, then that's your deal.

Quote Originally Posted by BurnetRhoades View Post
    The Dark Knight Rises

...I can't ignore how stupid the script is anymore, I just don't care. Nolan knows his craft and how to tell a story, he just can't seem to recognize bad writing before turning a shit script into great cinema. There's so much I still enjoy about this film I'm able to not let the warts bug me so much.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-03-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 27
    Undocumented - 6/10 - Solid movie, pretty sickening though. Reminded me of why i hate the right wing.

the sage of absurd
    BEATNGU

Status
    Last Online
    02-15-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Add Coker on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID el_neilicus
    I just think you're being unfair in your criticism.. if you hate the movie, then that's your deal.
    Hate is a harsh word, but I appreciate our ability to have differing opinions on the matter.

Last edited by Coker; 09-20-2014 at 01:11 AM.
    ~Wake up! Time to die.~

the sage of absurd
    BEATNGU

Status
    Last Online
    02-15-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Add Coker on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID el_neilicus
    Snowpiercer. 9/10. I genuinely enjoyed this flick. I hesitated watching it because I thought that it would be a have/have not philosophical bore fest.. but I was genuinely impressed. I felt that it went above and beyond the low hanging fruit and created something important and worthwhile. I also was really impressed by Chris Evans and Song Kang-ho.

Last edited by Coker; 09-20-2014 at 03:14 AM.
    ~Wake up! Time to die.~

Master of Brutality
    Back at it again.

Status
    Last Online
    10-10-2020

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Add UzumakiW on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

The Dark Knight Rises

I have to agree on this. The movie is fun if I look at it as a stand alone movie, and I even like it if that's how I view it, but when I start acknowledging it's a comic book movie based on Batman, I start finding a lot of problems with it. Granted, I'm a big comic book nerd, so that doesn't help, but I think even those who don't read Batman comics can realize that the way he portrays the characters in this movie are too far from the source material, even for a re-imagining/update, along with the other problems with his script. The first two were pretty good, but he fell pretty hard with the third one.

Zombiefied Zealot
    The Ancient One

Status
    Last Online
    11-18-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 286
    Given: 328
    Black Sunday
    The Hot Rock

Last edited by Necromancer; 09-20-2014 at 09:46 PM.
    Like, so many people out there were trying to track this down. And it just...got delivered on a tweet. What the hell.

"The individual's rights will be protected only so long as they don't conflict with the state."

“Watch your thoughts, they become words;
    watch your words, they become actions;
    watch your actions, they become habits;
    watch your habits, they become character;
    watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

the sage of absurd
    BEATNGU

Status
    Last Online
    02-15-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Add Coker on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID el_neilicus
    Blue Ruin. 9/10. Officially one of my favorite revenge flicks.

~Wake up! Time to die.~

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by UzumakiW View Post
    I have to agree on this. The movie is fun if I look at it as a stand alone movie, and I even like it if that's how I view it, but when I start acknowledging it's a comic book movie based on Batman, I start finding a lot of problems with it. Granted, I'm a big comic book nerd, so that doesn't help, but I think even those who don't read Batman comics can realize that the way he portrays the characters in this movie are too far from the source material, even for a re-imagining/update, along with the other problems with his script. The first two were pretty good, but he fell pretty hard with the third one.

I think I only ever read one Batman comic as a kid besides The Dark Knight Returns. That one Frank Miller book is all I really know of him from comics so I'm sure there are all sorts of liberties taken from the source material but I wouldn't recognize them. Also, comics themselves often change "canon", create alternate universes to explore a character in different ways, etc., so I've never been too moved by complaints when a film deviates from one or more accepted versions of a character.

For me the problems are issues that simply don't make any sense, like remove Batman and the comic book aspect from the film and it's filled with plot holes and writing that's just simply bad. It also has some of the most worthless, condescending exposition intended for the audience to be able to follow what they're seeing which ironically reflects more on the intelligence of the writer more than their impression of the audience since it's quite often used in reference to perhaps the films dumbest ideas (the "Clean Slate"), making it doubly ironic. Inception is guilty of this same sin but I'm unable to give it a pass and enjoy it, though it's also well made.

That said, I still just enjoy the spectacle and Bane especially. I liked this version of his backstory more than most that I've read summaries of. I found his relationship with Miranda very touching and I enjoyed the tragic aspect of his character. I liked this realization of Cat Woman better than any that's come before her but the sub plot with the "Clean Slate" was just unnecessary, on top of being stupid.

That said, I still just enjoy the experience and just turn a part of my brain off, willingly. There are a lot of movies I just can't do that for.

Last edited by BurnetRhoades; 09-21-2014 at 01:12 AM.

Zombiefied Zealot
    The Ancient One

Status
    Last Online
    11-18-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 286
    Given: 328
    The Pelican Brief

Like, so many people out there were trying to track this down. And it just...got delivered on a tweet. What the hell.

"The individual's rights will be protected only so long as they don't conflict with the state."

“Watch your thoughts, they become words;
    watch your words, they become actions;
    watch your actions, they become habits;
    watch your habits, they become character;
    watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    The Fault In Our Stars

Master of Brutality
    Back at it again.

Status
    Last Online
    10-10-2020

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Add UzumakiW on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

I think I only ever read one Batman comic as a kid besides The Dark Knight Returns. That one Frank Miller book is all I really know of him from comics so I'm sure there are all sorts of liberties taken from the source material but I wouldn't recognize them. Also, comics themselves often change "canon", create alternate universes to explore a character in different ways, etc., so I've never been too moved by complaints when a film deviates from one or more accepted versions of a character.

For me the problems are issues that simply don't make any sense, like remove Batman and the comic book aspect from the film and it's filled with plot holes and writing that's just simply bad. It also has some of the most worthless, condescending exposition intended for the audience to be able to follow what they're seeing which ironically reflects more on the intelligence of the writer more than their impression of the audience since it's quite often used in reference to perhaps the films dumbest ideas (the "Clean Slate"), making it doubly ironic. Inception is guilty of this same sin but I'm unable to give it a pass and enjoy it, though it's also well made.

That said, I still just enjoy the spectacle and Bane especially. I liked this version of his backstory more than most that I've read summaries of. I found his relationship with Miranda very touching and I enjoyed the tragic aspect of his character. I liked this realization of Cat Woman better than any that's come before her but the sub plot with the "Clean Slate" was just unnecessary, on top of being stupid.

That said, I still just enjoy the experience and just turn a part of my brain off, willingly. There are a lot of movies I just can't do that for.
    I can understand that reasoning, but again, as a big DC comics fan, when I see a movie with Bane, I'd like to see something a bit closer than what we got. Bane in no way was bad, but I feel he could have been better sticking closer to the source material. Granted, they did incorporate him breaking Batman's back, which is what Bane is known for, so most of my complaints about him are just nit picking.

However, my biggest complaint of deviation of the source material mostly lies in your complaint of the "clean slate". I'm sure as you know, and as most people know, based off of so many different source materials, Batman would never do something like that unless he for sure was having someone take his place, and having Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character hint at it at the very end just doesn't cut it.

Catwoman wasn't bad as she didn't deviate too far from the source material. She steals and breaks the law, but isn't really a villain or anything, and does help Batman plenty.

Again, if I just watch the movie for what it is, it's definitely entertaining, but for a comic book movie, it's not that great, and the ending itself isn't very good either way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 636 of 809 FirstFirst ... 136536586616627628629630631632633634635636637638639640641642643644645656686736 ... LastLast