11-19-2019

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 10
    I hated it when I watched it at the theatre.
    On a second viewing I enjoyed it go figure...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Steelbaz Youtube Channel

Nosferatu = UHM's Snitch

hardass when it comes to films
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-07-2008

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Psycho

PLOT
    Marion Crane steals 40k from work and plans on starting a new life with her boyfriend. On the way she stops off at the Bates motel and meets a shy young man, Norman Bates. After having a change of heart and planning on returning the money Normans mother knifes her to death.

Soon after people start looking for Marion and the money and unveil much more than they ever could have imagined. This is an unconventional movie, but its so unique in how its told.

10/10

SCRIPT
    Quite good. There is a lot of little things going on in this movie, all the characters have their own little character arcs that all add to the plot. Meaning something is ALWAYS going on, even when its just implied.

Normans awkwardness and dedication to his mother start off admirable, but become more and more unatural.

Marions guilty conscience, and decision to do the right thing just before she reaches her goal.

The characters in the movie actually do feel like real people for the most part. for a film thats almost 50 years old thats a major accomplishment. Seriously, if you watch older movies you've got actors pretending to be characters rather than people.

This film was very much ahead of its time.

I just would have liked a little more resolution.

9/10

ACTING
    Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates, its a really great performance. You can see how fragile a character he is. His performance as a 'little lamb' of a man is really something special to see.

Janet Leigh as Marion Crane, our confused and desperate heroine is very sympathetic and beleivable. She's a somewhat desperate character who really just wants to get married.

Everyone in the film does a fine perfromance, though I did find the psychiatrist's performance at the end of the movie kind of hammy as he was wrapping up the exposition

9/10

EDITING
    Little slow in a few areas, but that draws you in deeper to this world and its twisted consequences. I kind of would have liked things to pick up a little bit towards the climax, but thats a personal preference.

There is some good solid suspence here.

9/10

MUSIC
    Bernard Herrmans score here is legendary, even almost 48 years later it STILL gets the desired effect. There is so much to enjoy music wise here.

10/10

CINEMATOGROPHY
    FUCK-ING-GENIUS.This film has so much mis-en-scen to interpret and enjoy its almost unfathomable. Hitchcock managed to pull an Orson Wells here. The choice to have this film be in black and white instead of color is so intelligent I cant give Hitchcock enough praise for making the choice.

The dark Noi-ish feel and atmosphere supported by Herrmans score is true cinematic bliss.

10/10

DIRECTION
    Hitchcock earns a much rarely given score by me of ten out of ten here. Big surprise eh?

10/10

FUNFACTOR
    It's not the most fun film to watch, but I'll be damned if it isnt engrossing suspencefull and wonderfully twisted. It's yes, a very intellectual film if you know what to look for.

7/10

CHEESE!
    Good cheese, this is the film that created the evil split personality man plot popint.
    'Mother' is also the original slasher villain, and how can we forget the birth of the shower scene kill?

Some of these elements are cheezy to us now after all these years, but they work So well here as this was the film to establish them.
    10/10

OVERALL

83/90= 'A'

See this movie if you havent, and if you have, see it again. You'll never see one like this ever again. Halloween this film with friends who love them some horror.

'Just whoring myself a smidge'

http://johnathan-wrathborne.newgrounds.com/

"I would stick my dick in that girls eye socket" IKICKASSFORTHELORD

UHM's #1 Killer
    Half of life is fucking up,
    the other half is dealing with
    it.

Status
    Last Online
    11-25-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    I'm so glad you reviewed this and gave it a great score. It's my absolute fav. film ever, and can watch it many times.

"(Insanity) is not hubris, not pride; it is inflation of the ego to its ultimate - confusion between him who worships and that which is worshiped.
    Man has not eaten God; God has eaten man." Philip K. Dick The Man in the High Castle (1962)

UHM's Student Coroner
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    03-02-2009

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Psycho is a great film... it deserves its accolades.

chinese... good choice...

This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-07-2008

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up

The birds

..lousy double post.again Net problems.

Last edited by Wrathborne; 10-23-2007 at 02:09 AM.

This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-07-2008

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up

The birds

PLOT
    A playful playgirl(as in wealthy socialite) follows a lawyer to his familys home in Bodega bay to leave some lovebirds for him as a jest. For no reason the birds in the area start attacking people and killing them, soon the entire town is engulfed by them and the playgirl, lawyer and his mother and sister try to survive

Unique villains and a pretty interesting plot.

8/10

SCRIPT
    I'm not going to lie, I had a lot of trouble with this films script. I absolutelly hate how there is no resolution whatsoever in this movie.They get in the car and drive off into the sunset and the movie just..ends.

Also it seems kind of...well stupid that a playful playgirl would go through all the effort in act 1 just to tease a lawyer ona whim.

I had some issues with the laywers mother as a character, she seems about as stable as an icecube on an oven. She was a pretty unlikable character up until the last like 5 minutes of the film when she snaps out of her 'bitch coma'. She pretty much just seemed there to make The playgirl squirm and be a grievence to her children.

I wont get into how obnoxious the mother in the diner was..ok I will, a total fucking dingbat. When the birds start rampaging and she flips out at the playgirl....I couldnt beleive how retarded that was. "who are you!? What are you!?'

I wanted to slap that bitch.

This is a very slow and kind of uneven script. I really wanted th ebirds to attack a good half an hour or so soone rthan thye did. There was so much more that could have been done with this premise that never was.

It's nto a terribel script, but it needed to get off its as and explroe more of the situation.

7/10

ACTING
    Tippi Hedrin...I havent seen someone so adborable on the screen before who can act. I really liked her screen prescence and her performance as the unlucky heroine of this tale.

Rod taylor as the unlucky lawyer isnt as resourceful as Ben from 'Night of the living dead' but he's a good substitute.

A young Veronica Cartwright who's best known for getting Yaphet Kotto killed in 'Alien' for just standing there like a dumb ass so he couldnt torch the bug plays the sister of the umnlucky lawyer. Once again we have a snivelling child character ina horro rmovie. I dont like those characters. they're the ones I want to see die fast.

I liked Susan Plechette as Mary the teacher, shes a kind of a sad character, but filled with charm. Cant say I enjoyed her dying in the film.

8/10

EFFECTS
    Well its an older film, so when i see everyone running in front of a blue screen and being swamred with animated birds...I'm not all that convinced. I can take the animated birds alone(like the fireplace sequence) but the blue screen combination didnt work for me.

Not all the effects have aged that well, but they're passable for the most part.

6/10

EDITING
    Slow, really slow for my taste. Nothing happens untl the last 45 minutes of the film.
    Yes I know the film paces itself, but it needed to pick up the pace at least 15 minutes sooner than it did.

also there is very little music here, Music would have really strengthened the film. I wanted some Bernard Herrmans bizaare and unsettling scores to listen to while the birds strike again and again.

5/10

CINEMATOGROPHY
    It has a very nice and calm look to it, even when havoc is occuring. I saw where 'night of the living dead' got its inspiration as well as some of the Resident Evil games.

8/10

DIRECTION
    Hitchcock does a fine job with an above average script, but I wanted more ouut of this film. the lack of a real ending just hurts this movie so much.

8/10

FUNFACTOR
    Its...fun, but its not fun'. Id it wasnt as slow as it was it would have been stronger entertainment wise.

6/10

CHEESE!
    People pecked to death by birds is pretty cheesy, but after seeing how it could happen via hitchcocks vision, I buy it. Though some of th eperfromances are off setting and the pacing can hurt some. I still give the film some good cheez points.

7/10

OVERALL

63/90= 'C'

I needed more to it and I feel bad about giving it a 'C' rating, but it wasnt my kind of film I guess. Not to say its not worth watching again though, it IS a good movie, that falls short of being agreat movie.

skybrick
    This user has no status.

you posted the birds twice.

Fresh Zealot
    I am high.

Status
    Last Online
    11-19-2019

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thumbs Up
    Doesn't look like Wrong Turn 2 is making it.

Steelbaz Youtube Channel

Nosferatu = UHM's Snitch

This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-07-2008

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    ..not with that attitude.

Ok the final 10 reviews might be slow. I'm having really fucking rotten net right now.

I'm quite pissed off at not even being able to send a goddamn e-mail amonther other basic daily online activities, the fact I'm able to post this little notice is a testement to how shitty my situation is.

I might post the final ten in 'bulk'.

The ppl it kill, get up and kill
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    01-28-2008

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    I really hope a review for "The Birds" is posted.

This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-07-2008

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up

Hellraiser

..Um I already reviewd it bud. Just look upa few posts.

PLOT
    An idiot opens a portal to hell inviting the cenobites to torture him to pieces. Unfortunately he suffers from buyers remorse and wants back in the world of the living. So he has his brothers wife kill for him so he can drain the bodies of blood to return to his mortal form. Only his niece finds out what’s going on and stands in his way.

Well, its not a bad plot, but its not much of a movie I felt. There was no high concept here, it’s really about sex and gore.

6/10

SCRIPT
    No real character development, again its about sex and Clive Barkers love of bondage and sadomasochism. I didn’t buy it at all that one night Frank the stupid brother would show up to meet his brothers fiancé, and she’d go along let what starts out as pre determined rape end up a consensual sex. I found Julia a very stupid character with no real motive other than wanting a good hard fuck. That’s a really weak motive to have her kill for Frank and love him more than her own husband.

The only character you’ll end up liking is Kirsten franks Niece. Yes the cenobites are an interesting creation and interpretation of demons. But again it comes down to Barkers fetishes.

5/10

ACTING
    It’s all about Ashley Lawrence, she’s a damn fine actress who gives a believable performance. Yes she’s cuter than all your Christina Ricci’s.

Doug Bradley as Pinhead does make history here. He’s very intense character even though he’s only in the film for about 10 minutes. I can see why Pinhead’s a horror icon.

Everyone else in the film is just there to fuck each other and look menacing. Well minus, Larry Kirsten’s father who’s…kind of just got ‘fodder’ written on his forehead.

7/10

EDITING
    Not much happens other than the sex flash backs, Franks killing spree, Larry being oblivious, Julia being…well stupid, and Kirsten going on with her life until the beginning of act 3 when she gets dragged into this bloody mess. It’s a pretty slow film that does establish some decent suspense, nice gore, mood and weirdness. But it’s pretty stale I found.

6/10

EFFECTS
    Some really nice gore effects here. I was very impressed by this 20 year old films use of animatronics and make up. There’s a lot of fine detail used in the movie’s make up that alone is worth watching.

8/10

CINEMATOGROPHY
    An interesting look to things when the box is opened. I did however find the over all look of the film pretty bland, if it wasn’t for the noir-ish lighting scheme used in the attic to add some flavor I’d give it a low score. But it manages a unique take of things.

7/10

DIRECTION
    Barker doesn’t do a bad job as a writer director, but I’m already aware that he’s really just bringing to life an extreme pain fetishists dreams and mixing up a tale of sex and murder with monsters. I liked that he could make some good tension here and there and his eye for fine detail on the make up and some nice shots. But it’s still a very small story of sex, murder, domination, sadomasochism, betrayal and ultimately a tragedy for the daughter of the story. It’s in no way as epic as people have been making it up to be.

6/10

FUNFACTOR
    It’s not a very fun film to watch. Slow, over emphasis on a dumb relationship of a dumb fuck, a stupid wife and dumb husband who’s too focused on….whatever he does to notice anything’s wrong at home.

4/10

CHEESE!
    Not too much cheese here, minus the final act when frank as assumed Larry’s skin and tries to pull off ‘it’s ok, I’m really your father’ ploy.

3/10

OVERALL

52/90= ‘D’

Worth watching once. But There’s nothing really to this story to me. I hate to say ‘suck it’ to all the hell raiser fans and what not, but I’m not impressed really. Kickass make up and some grand performances are cool….but how about a story with more going on?

Knight
    This user has no status.

Disagree about 'Hellraiser'. Some great nightmarish visuals on top of some fucking cool characters. No story? Well then I guess you can rule out about 99.9% of the horror genre then.

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 94
    Agreed. I would grade Hellraiser higher than a "D"

"Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."

UHM's #1 Killer
    Half of life is fucking up,
    the other half is dealing with
    it.

Status
    Last Online
    11-25-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    I'd give it a B+

"(Insanity) is not hubris, not pride; it is inflation of the ego to its ultimate - confusion between him who worships and that which is worshiped.
    Man has not eaten God; God has eaten man." Philip K. Dick The Man in the High Castle (1962)

skybrick
    This user has no status.

His grading system is worthless.

This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-07-2008

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up

Resident evil apocolypse

get over my difference in opinion Skybick.

Knight does make a good point here, but I seriously just didnt see any real story in Hellraiser. I felt there was too much empasis on Frank and Julia's scheme rather than focusing on the mystery of the box and the Cenobites.

I wanted to know more about those aspects rather than just see Frank sucking bodies dry and being a prick. It just felt really lopsided to me.

Well here's another review. I tried to post this last night as well but with my computer being a bitch..ugh. wont get started.

PLOT
    Ok…Umbrella opens up a door that says ‘do not enter’ and lets out the lickers from the lab from the first movie and over the course of…Like 6 hours the cities fucked. It’s only up to Alice from the first film to save...You know I cant finish that sentence.

How fucking stupid can you get? You’re an evil organization and you open up the lab without any real military support incase the monsters want to go walkies? What kind of a dumbfuck screenwriter are we dealing with here? Oh that’s right, my nemesis Paul W.S Anderson.

3/10

SCRIPT
    Alice is back and is even less interesting than the first film, now she’s neo from ‘the matrix’ with a poor rack, no fashion sense and an urge for extreme sports.
    Jill Valentine, Carlos Olivera, and Nicholai are the first of a few characters from the games to be bastardized and turned into background characters that have no reason to be in the film other than recognition from the fans.

I don’t recall Jill being an unpleasant dumbass that cant do anything on her own with out being saved though.

Nor Do I remember Nicholai being a good guy, much less piss poor comic relief that has about 2 minutes of screen time. He’ has no point in this film at all. None of the characters do, they’re their to die or be comic relief…sometimes both.

And finally the most tenacious monster in the game history, the nemesis. The rocket launcher weilding tentacle lashing mother fucking giant that just really a managed to piss you off repeatedly in the third game, as been turned into a giant cumbersome mutilated pussy. Its bad enough to make him a ‘good guy really’, but the fact that Anderson has him a remote controlled monster is somewhere in the depths of stupidity our current president hasn’t manage to reach yet.

1/10

ACTING
    There are only 2 performances worth enjoying, Oded fehr as Carlos Olivera, who managed to put some charm into nothing character, and Mike Epps who manages to charm his way though the films the comic relief. He manages to make some really lame ass jokes funny and I give him credit for that.

Milla Jovovich returns looking even more confused and anorexic than she did in the first film…come to think of it all the supporting cast looks really confused and bewildered as to why they’re in the movie.

I will say this though, There is one of THE most vile and unfathomable performances given in this movie. And that’s Sienna Guillroy as Jill Valentine, who she plays as a high school prom queen on PMS. Thoroughly unlikable and unpleasant character to watch on the screen.

4/10

EFFECTS
    Once again, no real gore, mediocre CGI, and finally the Nemesis monster itself. Bad…REALLY bad. The head most looks like rubber, you can see the platform shoes the stunt mans wearing. And the monsters body is totally out of proportion.
    Stubby arms, small hands, an oversized head and the Sylvester Stallone platform shoes make for a really unconvincing performance.

2/10

CINEMATROGROPHY
    This entire film was shot under a blue filter, everything looks the same, there’s no real variety in shots and crappy slow-mo shakey cam shots are to be found in the ‘action sequences’.

3/10

EDITING
    Piss poor shit. The pathetic ‘mortal Kombat’ fight around the end of the film has got to be one of the most poorly pieced sequences I’ve ever seen. And I watch MST3k. The film doesn’t even pretend to have a story it just wants to have almost non stop half assed action sequences.

4/10

DIRECTION
    Alexander Witt who was the first unit director of the first RE ‘Movie’, manages to piss it down his pants. There’s nothing to enjoy here, anyone who watches it for Milla Jovovich’s contract nude scenes really needs a hobby.

3/10

FUNFACTOR
    You’d think this would be fun, but with no story, no character, no point, it’s like watching a the ’Numa Numa’ video: you’ll watch it once to see what the fuss is about, and then feel cheated.

1/10

CHEESE!
    The cheese…HURTS! GOD IT HURTS! Why does the fucking oxygen network play this movie 5 times a month!? This isn’t feminism, this is just an exploitation film with a medium budget!
    -10/10

OVERALL
    11/90 Big fat fucking ‘F’

Lets put an end to supporting shit like this ok people? You’re only hurting the zombie genre by paying to watch this shit. Feel free to watch it, but don’t pay for it, its not worth your money or your time. But that’s my opinion.

skybrick
    This user has no status.

:box2:

Fresh Zealot
    I am high.

Status
    Last Online
    11-19-2019

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thumbs Up
    Still waiting

Steelbaz Youtube Channel

Nosferatu = UHM's Snitch

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-28-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Thumbs Up

Detroit Lions Baltimore Ravens Detroit Pistons Michigan Wolverines Detroit Red Wings Kentucky Wildcats

This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-07-2008

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up

the Terminator

Wont be able to get to it until next week it seems. My schedule is shit right now, but come monday things will clear up.

-----

PLOT
    A machine is sent from the future to murder the mother of the man who will save humanity and defeat the machines. A soldier from the future is sent to protect her from the terminator.

Good plot, an interesting take on making a machine a monster.

8/10

SCRIPT
    I really liked the script, the terminator is a real monster in this movie. Especially when its revealed what it really looks like, its definitely a scary bastard.

I liked the characters in the film, Kyle Reese is an interesting character and I quite enjoy watching how he fights the terminator in the film.

He doesn’t just sit there and shoot at it, he’s constantly trying different ways to combat it as well as slow it down. Definitely one of the best hero’s in cinema, in my opinion.

I really dug Sarah Conner’s change in the film, she starts off as a ‘load’ but in the end of the film she’s changed into a fighter.

The terminator itself is a pretty wicked monster, from point blank assassinations, to the assault on the police precinct, to imitating Sarah’s parents on the phone, its definitely one of the most creative villains out there.

My only real gripe is that the first half of act 3 is actually kind of boring. I didn’t mind Kyle and Sarah both bonding with each other and what not, but some of it just dragged on a smidge. After a good 50 minutes or so of mystery, action, exposition and carnage…it kind of slows down a little too much for my tastes.

But that’s just me, doesn’t make the film any less great.

8/10

ACTING
    Linda Hamilton as Sarah Conner is great casting. Sarah is a very vulnerable character and her performance highlights this.
    I really liked Michael Beihn as Kyle Reese, not sure I can praise his performance anymore than anyone else has so I’ll just leave it at this.
    Arnold Schwarzenegger as we all know, became an icon after playing the terminator.

Paul Winfeild and Lance Hensricksen are great as the cops who just want to find out why someone has killed two of the three Sarah Conners in the area.

8/10

EFFECTS
    From animatronics, to puppetry to stop motion, Stan Winston makes you believe that this is a nasty metal mother fucker that could kill you. Though some of the effects have become a little out dated and don’t blend in that well( the animatronic Arnold bust) it still manages to be quite effective after all these years.

8/10

CINEMATROGROPHY
    I really love the cyberpunk/Noir look this movie has. The fact that the majority of the film takes place around night time adds a wonderful look to the movie.

8/10

EDITING
    Pretty good pacing for the first 60% of the film, but as I said before, I don’t like how slow the first half of act 3 is. It really kills the pacing and kind of drags the movie to a halt.

7/10

DIRECTION
    James Cameron made a really damn fine film here and as a result he’s gone on to become one of the greatest directors ever. Though I still to this day don’t care for ‘Titanic‘.
    He’s still an amazing director.

9/10

FUNFACTOR
    This film is pretty intense and fast paced, its actually really suspenseful in the second half of last act. It’s not an incredibly fun film to watch, but its got lots to enjoy visually, so it gets a good score for that.

7/10

CHEESE!
    The film does have its cheesiness, The romantic segments between Kyle and Sarah upon reflection are…pretty cheesy. Not ‘soap opera bad’, but the line ‘ in the few short hours we spent together we loved a lifetimes worth’ always gets on my nerves.

Still its not enough to tarnish the cheese score.

7/10

OVERALL
    70/90= ‘B’

Damn fine film to watch, but I’ve watched to too many times in my life so its lost a lot of its ‘power’. Else it’d have gotten a ‘75/90’. But that’s my fault and that doesn’t take away from the movie at all.

I also didn’t bother to score brad Fidel’s score here because well, you cant rate perfection. You simply accept it with a grin.

See it, love it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast