Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 880
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie

The Mist Review (minor spoilers)

Since I'm unable to update the site at the moment, I thought that any new reviews I do will be posted on the board first, then the site when my comp is up and running again. This review may change when I post it on UHM next week, but this is the final version for now.

For once I’ve read the story before actually seeing the movie, but as fate would have it, I really don’t remember much of anything from the story, considering I read it so many years ago. Originally released as part of the Stephen King horror anthology entitled Dark Forces in 1980, it was then re-released as part of the Skeleton Crew collection of short stories in 1984, which is where I discovered it back in High School (though not in the 80’s of course). The longest entry in the Skeleton Crew collection, it was also the story that stood out most, and I knew after reading it that it would make a great movie.

Frank Darabont has reportedly expressed interest in turning King’s novella into a feature film since he first read it in the 80’s, but for one reason or another it never came to fruition until recently. However, before he reached this point, he went on to direct two other award-winning Stephen King adaptations: The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile. The project has been discussed for years, and in 2005 it was supposedly finally given the go-ahead from the studio, but for some reason filming didn’t actually begin until early ’07.

Since I don’t remember much from the original story, I can’t compare the two, but while watching the movie it was pretty clear that some things were changed, especially the ending, which became bleaker and dark compared to the original story. I personally didn’t care much for the new ending, but it was better than the Hollywood-style climax that we’re usually given. This film, much like in the story, takes place almost entirely in the supermarket, as we follow our hero and commercial artist David Drayton (Thomas Jane) and various other people, who are forced to survive from the creatures on the outside and the fanatics on the inside.

We’re given the usual group of people -- those who are more rational and refuse to accept the fact that there are creatures within the mist (and naturally die early on) and those that do believe the beasts, but refuse to accept that it’s the work of some sort of religious apocalypse. This is where our main antagonist comes into play – Mrs. Carmody – a religious fanatic who claims what’s happening is the work of a higher power and that they’re living in the “end of days.” After a couple of her rantings comes true, she gains the trust of a few followers within the market, and sure enough, the few turn into many and before they know it, the rest of the survivors are forced to fend off the fanatics after they claim that with the sacrifice of the young boy (and son of our hero) that the creatures will leave them all alone.

The film was surprisingly gory, but we’re also given some cheesy CGI effects when it came to a few of the insects and beasties within the fog. I had problems with some of the earlier scenes that had an unnecessary zoom-in on certain individuals for essentially no reason. I learned later on that Frank hired some of the camera crew behind FX’s The Shield (fans of zooming in and shaking the camera) to handle the extra camera work, supposedly to give the film a grittier look and save time on the shooting schedule. Luckily the annoying zooming is only shown a few times during the movie. Other than that, the film was pretty solid.

OVERALL:

For the most part (and from what I can remember) the movie stayed pretty true to the original story and is one of the better recent Stephen King horror adaptations (better than 1408 in my opinion). My eyes were glued to the screen from the start, and although I wasn’t a big fan of the ending, I liked how it shows that some modern films still have the balls to deliver and not-so-standard Hollywood climax.

REVIEWED BY: FrighT MasteR

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Chief of UHM
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-22-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 0
    One I don't like crappy CGI monsters and 2 I heard about the horrible ending they decided to go with. I'll be skipping this.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-20-2014

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    The cgi monsters wasn't that bad and yeah the ending was kinda confusing. At least I thought the movie was entertaining.

Sometimes Dead is Better
    The Fallen Angel

Status
    Last Online
    03-12-2013

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    What was confusing about the ending? One of the better horror movies of late. The american audience cannot fathom the ending because it is so dark, sinister and depressing. There is abosultely nothing in this movie that is uplifting. This makes it much harder to watch for any viewer. The final sequence had me pinned to the edge of my seat and truly left me in schock. Thomas Jane was extremely credible in this as well. Same can be said for the entire cast actually.

Times are looking grim these days - holding onto everything - it's hard to draw the line. I, am hiding in this empty space, tortured by my memories of what i've left behind

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 880
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    Changed some things in the review; mostly just added a new bottom paragraph to express my distaste towards the pointless zooming in early on in the film (forgot to add it earlier).

Rotting Zealot
    bears, beets, battlestar
    galactica

Status
    Last Online
    02-13-2021

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 40
    The monsters weren't that bad, and face facts chief it's not 1981. They have effective affordable digital effects that have become cheaper than animatronics. As great as the work of guys like Rob Bottin and Rick baker and etc it's hard to deny there were always a few unconvincing shots of their FX. Just like today with cgi. But we all suspend our disbelief for monsters. And when they were kept in the shadows they were quite effective.

As for the ending I can see why a lot of people are upset over it. Though it's hard too see a positive way out.

SPOILER: highlight
    Especially if you're like me and the sight of the Army rolling up with tanks and napalm doesn't seem like a beacon of hope. Those people could have been taken to a detainment center,dissected and studied. We don't know

In my humble opinion this is one of the better horror movies to come out in a while. Especially when all were seeing are "XXXXtreme torture" movies, japanese remakes about little kids with bowlcuts that meow, and remakes of 80s slashers. Though it appears most horror fans just want this baby food, and not something different. Granted monsters movies aren't different, just out of style.

Should really give this one a chance before you dismiss it. If you don't want to drop money look for nice quality DL.

Chief of UHM
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-22-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    I do agree with you chop top about the torture movies and all that thats out right now. Its a big tiring. And I do as well miss monster movies. I am hoping Cloverfield will be good enough to make hollywood think they need to make monster flicks.

Rotting Zealot
    bears, beets, battlestar
    galactica

Status
    Last Online
    02-13-2021

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 40
    with all the hype around cloverfield, I am wondering if it will be another Godzilla '98.

Demon to Some
    Imagine peace on this earth
    when there's no grief Imagine
    grief on this earth when
    there's no peace

Status
    Last Online
    02-18-2023

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Add Darkgod on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 51
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Chumpstylz PSN ID D_A_R_K_G_O_D
    I liked the film, and as Fright pointed out my only complaint was the friggen zooming in and out. I liked that some of the bigger creatures you couldnt clearly see, and where hidden in the mist a bit. Added a bit of the mind running wild to it.

UHM's Zombie Killer
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Follow Il Duce On Twitter Add Il Duce on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    I liked it quite a bit was pretty solid and yup surprisingly gory for the most part. It was one of the better adaptions from King besides 1408 which this one was slightly better but not by much 7/10.

Diz mutha F'er got banned!
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    11-10-2009

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by choptop2 View Post
    with all the hype around cloverfield, I am wondering if it will be another Godzilla '98.
    More than likely, since everyone has already decided that they like it and it is and will be the most amazing movie ever.

Life... 2 inches to the left.
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-23-2011

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Zooming shots are my only complaint. The creature effects are on par with what I expected for the budget and time frame. The ending fits the movie, confusing to some perhaps, but it fits. Not a 10/10, but a nice change from the xxxtreme torture and remake babble nonetheless.

Our immortality is found in the words and actions of our children.

You see relatives at holidays, weddings, and funerals, but family is always with you.

Do not steal, rape, or murder. Everything else is fair game.

Facing failure is easier than running from regret.

Rotting Zealot
    MidnightMovieGuy

Status
    Last Online
    06-18-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Busy
    Follow BooBerry On Twitter Add BooBerry on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    I really liked this. I loved how the religious fanatics were overacted, but not badly. Because honestly, in a situation like that, there's only two sides to choose from, religion or science, and sometimes religion is the easier one.

(kinda spoilerish not really though)

I liked the ending for what it was. I usually enjoy when endings don't turn out the way the audience is led to believe (like when the main character dies or when it all turns out to be a dark twist with no winners), but this was really sad and I left in a somber mood, ha. But that's obviously what the filmmakers wanted, so good job.

(BIG SPOILER)

PS - On a sidenote, biggest audience applause in a horror movie goes to when Mrs. Carmody gets capped. I felt like a play had just ended.

Last Flick Seen: WolfCop - 5/10 The Quiet Ones - 2/10 Starry Eyes - 6/10
    Midnight Movie Gay - http://midnightmoviegay.wordpress.com
    Instagram: MidnightMovieGay

UHM's Student Coroner
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    03-02-2009

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    I thought this movie would pretty much suck, but I was surprised by how good it was. I was throughly entertained throughout, and that ending kicked some serious ass. That was some dark shit! The religious angle really added to the entertainment, and the acting wasn't too shabby.

chinese... good choice...

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-13-2010

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    I've been hearing great things about this so far, but what people keep pointing out about it more than anything is that it's done the best job of any of his recent movies to really catch the feel of a Stephen King story, in almost every respect. I've always thought Misery was his best adaptation, and as good as this may be, I don't think it'll change that opinion.

"This is not an exit."

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-29-2010

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    ***Contains small Spoiler***

I liked the movie. I keep hearing about how people didn't like the ending so much. I thought the ending was good. Didn't really see it coming because they usually don't kill kids in the movies. For some reason they're usually the hero which ruins the movies. What do you think was wrong with the ending? And how would you have ended it?

Easy like Sunday mornin'
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    05-16-2010

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
    What was confusing about the ending? One of the better horror movies of late. The american audience cannot fathom the ending because it is so dark, sinister and depressing. There is abosultely nothing in this movie that is uplifting. This makes it much harder to watch for any viewer. The final sequence had me pinned to the edge of my seat and truly left me in schock. Thomas Jane was extremely credible in this as well. Same can be said for the entire cast actually.
    My thoughts exactly. Who the fuck said that horror movies had to have happy endings anyway? IMO the ending should be as dreadful and dreary as the movie itself. Did I want everybody to be okay? of course I did. Did I want the punisher to kick some mist monster ass? Yes I did. But the bottom line was it was a HORROR movie, and to me the most horrific part was the ending, which I thought was great. Yes, I admit I didn't like it at first, but when I left the theater, the ending left with me. I questioned it over and over, I reviewed the audience's reactions to it. I listened to the morons grumble and complain over it. And that's when it hit me: Like it or not, that fuckin ending was effective. And that's what counts.

King said in an interview that the ending Darabont wrote was more terrifying than anything he himself ever could pen, and though I don't agree with that, it still shows that the man who wrote the freakin story was effected by that ending, and to an aspiring/lazy/wannabe writer, that's awesome.

Rotting Zealot
    MidnightMovieGuy

Status
    Last Online
    06-18-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Busy
    Follow BooBerry On Twitter Add BooBerry on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Quote Originally Posted by GruesomeDuece View Post

King said in an interview that the ending Darabont wrote was more terrifying than anything he himself ever could pen, and though I don't agree with that, it still shows that the man who wrote the freakin story was effected by that ending, and to an aspiring/lazy/wannabe writer, that's awesome.
    Yeah, I read that too. Something like if he had thought of it back then when he wrote it he would have used it.

Last Flick Seen: WolfCop - 5/10 The Quiet Ones - 2/10 Starry Eyes - 6/10
    Midnight Movie Gay - http://midnightmoviegay.wordpress.com
    Instagram: MidnightMovieGay

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 94
    Started out OK and then got boring. Cool looking spider monsters.

"Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."

Fresh Zealot
    I am high.

Status
    Last Online
    11-19-2019

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 10