Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 433
    Yeah. Some classes I think needed it big time. Feral DPS, for instance, was a nightmare. It was the most complicated class in the game, from a mechanics standpoint, though your average warlock and hunter had even more situational spells and abilities. By lvl60 I didn't have any unused keybinds for my hunter and by about lvl40 on my warlock (I leveled him just high enough for Chaos Bolt) was nearly the same. Folks have long joked about hunter being the "easiest class in the game" and it's bullshit. Not if you actually try and use all of the hunter's abilities. It's crazy. Maybe it's a little better now.

For the most part my rogue hasn't changed nearly as much from Lich King until now as it did all the way up to Lich King. I miss not having full, real talent trees. I miss the specs from Burning Crusade the most. Hybrid combat + subtlety especially. But mutilate (assassination) spec works pretty much the same as it has since it was introduced.

My DK though, every expansion the specs and mechanics get changed big time. I started out playing Unholy, loved it, then loved Frost. Now Unholy is no fun at all and just a tedious pet spec while Frost has lost a few of its most fun abilities. It's not as much fun as early Lich King. And I was, at first, unhappy with the changes to Blood but I dig it now and it's still the best class + spec for soloing elites and bosses.

My Paladin became less and less fun after they made it so that your shield didn't hit that hard. I'm hoping that the new expansion makes it fun again for PvP.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    So I played at launch and got about 1/3 or 1/2 through the intro scripted quest line that takes you to old Draenor before the DDOS took down Skullcrusher and sent everyone's ping into the thousands. A day or so later I got back on, finished this out to the point that my Alliance mage was in Draenor and then switched over to my Horde paladin so that I was sorta pacing with a friend of mine.

I got into a lot of deadlines at work so my playtime became really spotty but the leveling process from 90 hasn't been too bad. You're more or less "on rails" and progressing through a storyline, at least until you're at a level for the next zone. This aspect, which was introduced in Cataclysm, is my only real beef because I feel like if you're good enough with your class and of a sufficient enough gear level you should be able to skip as far ahead as you're able to kill stuff and wear whatever loot drops off of them. Still, progress is rather fluid and I'm not quite halfway through lvl99 now from questing and Garrison work alone (no dungeons yet).

I wasn't expecting to like Garrisons, because they're more or less compulsory up to a certain point. But I've got fourteen or fifteen "followers" now going out and getting me stuff, including one that will follow me around and assist while I quest that, unlike warlock or mage or hunter pets does damage pretty equivalent to playing with another player. In addition to getting me resources to build and expand my garrison, from quests that I send followers out on, followers can bring back raid quality gear on rare occasions. Based on the return from quests, return from selling items harvested in my Garrison, etc. I've been hovering right around the amount of gold I started out with after upgrading my Garrison and all sub buildings to their highest level (Tier 2, you can't go to Tier 3 until you're 100).

I dunno if I'll ding tonight or not but I'm itching to get to the World-PVP happening in Ashran. By all accounts it's an almost never-ending battle of upwards of 150 on 150 for control of the zone. Unlike Wintergrasp and the other PvP zones, Ashran is always active.

I could have been 100 by now but I spent all Friday night in a mega raid group staking out this rare on an 80+hour respawn timer that has a 100% droprate on a mount version of itself for all players that damage it before it dies (a ridable gronn, which is kinda like what you'd get if an ogre screwed an ape). While just hanging around in the zone I watched at least three movies, a full Judas Priest concert from the '80s and a full Scorpions concert from the '80s before calling it and sleeping. After ding'ing 98 the other night I did the same thing for a few hours before someone revealed in chat that proof was posted that it had been downed on that server earlier in the day, which potentially re-starts the timer though nobody really knows because of the way phasing works which splits a zone into what amounts to multiple instances of itself based on the number of players in a given spot. It gets rather messy. The simple fact of having a couple hundred of us sitting there waiting for him to spawn could have split us off into another "dimension" with its own clock on the respawn timer.

Last edited by BurnetRhoades; 11-30-2014 at 11:54 PM.

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    Since my hunter is only level 83 still I haven't done anything with the new expansion. I have thought about creating a new toon and using that thing that levels them to 90 instantly (since I got it free when I got the expansion) but I'm still not sure yet.

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    The catch with the free lvl90 is you're not fully exploiting this option if you apply it to a toon you've not leveled to at least lvl60, which goes by wicked fast anymore due to compressed XP, compared to leveling 1-60 in the original game, and the fact of Heirloom gear, which now exists for almost every slot, though you can't get them all from one vendor or for a single type of currency, unfortunately (some for money, some for honor, some for dungeon/raid currency). But lvl60 or higher toons that get the boost get both major professions upgraded to their lvl90 max as well, 600/600. That's a pretty huge deal for expensive crafting professions (Engineering in particular).

The gathering professions can all be maxed in about a day's worth of play but this is tens of thousands of gold worth of boost and a lot of running back and forth between the AH and the mailbox (even if you were to buy a pre-packaged user made profession kit that has every piece of ore or skin you'd need to max your prof, it's gonna cost you and mean a lot of travel between mailbox, bank and AH or vendors to get rid of the stuff you make while you level.

You get nominal, attractive and decently stat'd set of green starter gear for each slot but knowing you could then spend gold on crafting things that would be immediately useful or provide massive upgrades is huge. You still have to buy the recipes (you get max skill without any of the recipes that it would have taken to get to max skill) but now you can pick and choose only those you want, that are useful or that you can make money with, and you don't have to deal with a recipe/plan book full of junk that just had to be made so that you could progress.

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    So the last couple weeks I've had barely enough time or energy in the evenings to do more than my Garrison dailies for Apexis crystals (a new form of currency for reputation and other PvE vendors), run follower missions to level them up and hopefully get them gear upgrades from mission salvage and do my crafting dailies. This whole time I hadn't been doing my Inscription and Enchanting dailies, like a noob, because they weren't 600/600 on this character, the first one I leveled to 100.

I'm up to 19/20 followers and a majority of them are lvl100 now. I've got two "bodyguard" followers now and that trait makes them like having a pet, if you're not a pet class, or like having a second pet if you are. Followers can have their gear upgraded but unlike the "helpers" that sometimes spawn from items or trinkets to "fight with you", these guys actually do some damage. Like, I was sitting down to eat and a mob my level came up to attack and my "bodyguard" went into action and killed them and they didn't interrupt the eating/drinking. Bodyguards also, as you level them, develop new abilities and a final bonus ability once you've maximized your reputation with them by killing together. The one I use most of the time is Vivienne who's an undead mage. She does an AoE that ticks for a fair bit of damage as well as the occasional bigger "meteor hit" attack. Now that I've maxed her rep and gotten the "Personal Wingman" achievement she can generate a portal back to my garrison that I or any party member can use. Other bodyguards have different abilities, like the resto-shaman I picked up that has a lightning bolt, a chain-heal that they'll use if you drop below 50% health that also jumps to party members and then at max rep they give access to a mobile war table that lets you retask followers in the field, without needing to be back at your garrison or at a zone outpost.

Last night I ran the special 40-man LFR (Looking For Raid) version of lvl100 Molten Core that's only going to be around until early January, when the WoW 10th Anniversary event ends. I never ran it in Vanilla because I only leveled to 60 about six weeks before the release of Burning Crusade but it was fun. For the LFR version only Ragnaros, the end boss, drops any loot. Nothing else drops real loot, BUT, Ragnaros awards all raid members with a guaranteed ilvl 640 healm that looks like a crown of flame and when you port out you have mail waiting and inside is a corehound mount, currently the most badass new ground mount in the game.

5738.png

...only a week or so left though and then there will be no way to get it again.

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Decided to return for a month to see how things are with the new expansion. Lots of changes since I last played (over a couple years), but the whole garrisons thing is pretty damn neat. I haven't done much with the latest expansion yet, but I plan to mess around with it a bit more when I have extra time

Rotting Zealot
    Inquisitive

Status
    Last Online
    01-05-2021

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 86
    The last xpan I played was lich king. Had an 85 of every class. I hated end game so every time I got to max level, I'd make an alt. For the Horde!

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by autorico View Post
    The last xpan I played was lich king. Had an 85 of every class. I hated end game so every time I got to max level, I'd make an alt. For the Horde!
    Yeah I usually stop playing once I reach max level. I don't really do dungeons much since they take so long

Rotting Zealot
    Inquisitive

Status
    Last Online
    01-05-2021

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    I didn't mind dungeons, it was the raids that were a pain in the ass for me. Other than Karazhan, I fucking loved that place for some reason.

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

I really hate how difficult blizzard has made it for people to fly in these new zones. I just want to fly damnit, not spend the next month trying to get tedious achievements

Rotting Zealot
    Inquisitive

Status
    Last Online
    01-05-2021

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Are you doing subscription or free to play?

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

The only way to play is by subscription, unless you collect enough gold to get tokens

Rotting Zealot
    Inquisitive

Status
    Last Online
    01-05-2021

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Is it true that when you go free to play, you level at a slower pace? Last time I played with a sub, it was waaay to easy to level. Took me less than a week to get to 85 (top level at the time).

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

It'll only let you play free up until level 20 and there are a lot of other limitations that I can't remember. It is still pretty easy to level though, especially the earlier levels. Right now I'm 103 and I'm leveling at a pace that feels right, not too fast and not too slow.

Rotting Zealot
    Inquisitive

Status
    Last Online
    01-05-2021

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    I love leveling characters, so I want to drag it out as long as possible.

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by autorico View Post
    I love leveling characters, so I want to drag it out as long as possible.
    Same, I enjoy leveling the most, which is why I normally stop playing when I'm maxed out. I'd say it's worth jumping back into at this point, there are a lot of cool new zones to explore and level up in and if you grab the Legion expansion you can level up to 110 and also try out the Demon hunter class. Garrisons are also pretty cool to mess with as well.

UHM's Arrogant Metal Head
    If anything is possible, is it
    possible for something to be
    impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 570
    Given: 1,294
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag DMHead777 PSN ID dmhead777 Steam ID whittem0re
    I'd dabble in WoW again, but I don't personally see the point of it if I don't have time to raid. I have put thousands of hours into other MMOs, but that's when I had more time. Being on dedicated raiding teams three-four nights a week is something I cannot do anymore

As much as I want to drag myself back in, I think it would be a waste of money every month.

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by DMHead777 View Post
    Being on dedicated raiding teams three-four nights a week is something I cannot do anymore
    That's something I can't do either, just don't have the time for it. I just enjoy the whole leveling system, so once I hit max I'll probably just be done with it like I usually am

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Thought I'd rez an old thread to post this video I randomly stumbled onto, which perfectly captures the feels for not only people that played WoW, but any early MMO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112