Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie

No Country For Old Men *spoilers*

Good movie, but I was incredibly disappointed by the ending. The film pretty much kicks ass from the start, and we seem to get a build up for a final showdown between Brolin's character and the badguy "Anton", but instead, we're only shown the aftermath.

I kept expecting to see a flashback of the events that unfolded, but it just ends with Tommy Lee Jones talking about his dreams(!?). We don't even see Brolin's corpse, which also led me to believe that he would show up again towards the end.

This was leading up to be one of the best movies in '07 had it not been for the lacking conclusion. To me it seemed like the Coen bros were just mashing stuff together towards the end just to tease the viewers into thinking we'll be shown what happened. Then it ends. Very disappointing. However, still a good movie.

8/10

http://imdb.com/title/tt0477348/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Theatricality and Deception
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    07-02-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0
    we actually see his body when Jones' character goes to the hotel where Moss was killed by the mexicans he took the money from. They don't show what happened though. I thought it was awesome when they show Anton leaving the wife's house and he checks his shoes for blood, very chilling. Awesome movie. 10

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

I remember seeing a body, but didn't know it was the guy's since it was kinda dark. Regardless, I still would have preferred to see what actually happened.

Chief of UHM
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-22-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    I heard about the crappy ending and it keeps me from wanting to see the movie.

UHM's Zombie Killer
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Follow Il Duce On Twitter Add Il Duce on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    The rest of the film definately more than makes up for the lacking ending still not as bad as most endings.

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-13-2010

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Best movie ive seen all year, if it wasnt for the weak ending which isnt as bad as it sounds, but compared to a almost perfect movie the ending leaves you with a empty feeling. 9/10...would have given it a 10/10 if the ending had a better conclusion. BUT GO WATCH THIS FLICK!

"I'll make him an offer he can't refuse" -Michael Corleone

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Was definitely thinking of giving the flick a 9/10 until the ending came.

skybrick
    This user has no status.

I didn't mind the ending, I think this was a good movie to answer the questions yourself outside the theatre.
    Who got the money?
    Did Anton shoot the wife?
    What is the meaning with Tommy Lee in the last scene.

Awesome movie, just caught it today, so I am still pondering those questions.

Knight
    This user has no status.

Anton got the money. He knew about Moss hiding it in the vents. It showed the vent covering and screws laying on the floor in one scene towards the end.

Yes Anton killed Moss's wife.

Big Blue
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    01-02-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    in the end he checked the bottom of his boots which led me to believe that he killed the wife. Great movie 9/10 I wasn't sold on the ending at first but thinking about it it was fine.

UHM's #1 Killer
    Half of life is fucking up,
    the other half is dealing with
    it.

Status
    Last Online
    11-25-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Movie looks sweet, love that thing he uses to kill people.

"(Insanity) is not hubris, not pride; it is inflation of the ego to its ultimate - confusion between him who worships and that which is worshiped.
    Man has not eaten God; God has eaten man." Philip K. Dick The Man in the High Castle (1962)

skybrick
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Anton got the money. He knew about Moss hiding it in the vents. It showed the vent covering and screws laying on the floor in one scene towards the end.

Yes Anton killed Moss's wife.
    I was swayed that he didn't but hell I dont know.
    The viewers never heard a gun shot and he never walked out of the house with that air gun so I lead that he didn't.

Knight
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by skybrick View Post
    The viewers never heard a gun shot and he never walked out of the house with that air gun so I lead that he didn't.
    The Cohens decided not to show it for whatever reason. Regardless, he had to kill her according to his 'code'. He warned Moss what would happen if he didn't fork over the money and Moss refused. Anton's the kind of guy that believes in making good on his promises afterall.

He gave her a chance at a coin toss (like he did with the old guy earlier in the movie) and she refused, so it's assumed that she was killed. It really didn't need to be spelled out.

Assistant Webmaster
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    05-27-2020

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    The Cohens decided not to show it for whatever reason. Regardless, he had to kill her according to his 'code'. He warned Moss what would happen if he didn't fork over the money and Moss refused. Anton's the kind of guy that believes in making good on his promises afterall.

He gave her a chance at a coin toss (like he did with the old guy earlier in the movie) and she refused, so it's assumed that she was killed. It really didn't need to be spelled out.
    *SPOILERS*

Knightz hit it on the head.

He checked his boots when he left the house. There's your biggest hint...he never let his boots get bloody throughout the film. Why else would he be so worried about what condition his boots were in?

Also, I LOVED the ending. It's something that isn't easy to catch onto immediately, but when you put the pieces together and consider Tommy Lee Jones' speech at the end, you'll get it.

Also, remember the title of the movie: "No Country for Old Men." Watch the Jones speech again with that in mind, and consider the fact that all in all, Anton got what he wanted. He didn't lose. Now, consider what his character is symbolic of (think reality) and then once again consider the title..."No Country for Old Men."

This is one of my favorite movies of all time. Up there in the top 5 or 6.

Last edited by H78; 01-05-2008 at 11:35 PM.
    FrighT MasteR : in all seriousness, i really do think he's a little slow in the head

Knight
    This user has no status.

It's a rather difficult movie to 'get' with only one viewing. It's something you'll need to watch a few times to catch all the little things that make it really good.

I watched it twice and appreciated it about 2x better the second time around.

Assistant Webmaster
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    05-27-2020

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Yeah, it definitely needs to be seen multiple times.

I only watched it once, but extensive conversation about it with a good friend of mine helped both of us see a lot of the symbols drawn out throughout it.

What a great film. If you haven't seen it, get out and see it!

Last edited by H78; 01-05-2008 at 11:49 PM.
    FrighT MasteR : in all seriousness, i really do think he's a little slow in the head

Zombiefied Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    It's a challenging movie in that none of the story lines climax in a traditional "movie" way. That is to say unsatisfying for some. I think some of this is due to the fact that the Mexicans kill Brolin which seemingly comes out of left field. (although it's not really.) It's an extremely anti-climactic end to a main character that I haven't seen...maybe ever. Jones's climax comes in a discussion with his father. Bardem's climax is the one that I can't put my finger on. I'm not sure it was the right choice...but then again it may be perfectly acceptable. If he dies in the car wreck, then it's case closed. Since he doesn't...and then he asks for the clothing from the boys (the same way Brolin asks for clothing from the young guys when he crosses the border after being shot up by Anton), there is a connecting thread there that may be too subtle for it's own good. All of these very subdued climaxes are then followed by Jones's epilogue which does seem to cap the film...but I'm not sure it's as effective as it could be.

Having said that, I think "No Country" is hands down one of the best films released in years. I give the Cohen's a lot of credit for so effectively adapting McCarthy's novel (which if you've ever read a McCarthy novel, you know what an achievment that is). THIS is why I go to movies, and unfortunately Hollywood has gotten away from producing material like this. The Cohen's haven't made a good film since FARGO, so it was a real treat to have them back like this...in a big way.

**Two new McCarthy novels are being prepped for the big screen. THE ROAD -directed by John Hillcoat. (Incredible book. Viggo is attached to play the father.) BLOOD MERIDIAN - directed by Ridley Scott. (Amazing book. Not sure about Ridley though. He certainly is equipped to deliver the look that the book requires...but I'm not sure he's equipped to deliver the story. He hasn't done anything this heady since Blade Runner.)

A relatively unseen classic!

skybrick
    This user has no status.

I rewatched it again and I have to say I like it a little more and I see what your saying by checking his boots but he still had no gun. 10/10 for No Country

One part I dont remember though is when that one guy says
    "Thats a dead dog"
    and Anton says "Yes it is"
    Anyway I dont know why but thats funny.

anti-social worker
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    02-18-2010

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Phibes View Post
    I think the ending was a bold choice, artistically. I think it follows that the ending illustrates the fact that there will be bad guys, doing what they do, and good guys doing what they do - even if they choose to retire.

I felt the story, including the last scene, was quite satisfying, even if there was no resolution in terms of reckoning or justice. I believe that was the point. Interesting that Anton, although a terrible man, had his own self-imposed rigor, or 'code.'
    Spot on. Easily the best flick I've seen in quite some time.

Patriot, n. One to whom the interests of a part seem superior to the interests of the whole. The dupe of statesmen and the tool of conquerers. ---Ambrose Bierce

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    11-29-2022

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    I heard the next Coen Brothers movie is going to be a spaghetti western with lots of torture scenes including one where eyelids are cut off.

Sweet!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast