Last Online
    11-10-2009

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by ASoron0424 View Post
    ...The movie builds you up with this kind of creepy atmosphere for ten minutes or so, then a jolt. Builds you up for fifteen minutes again, then another jolt; etc., etc.
    I'm well aware of Carnival of Souls and Signs is no where near that style of filmmaking. Signs is an utter failure on so many levels, by the obvious horrible writing put in it's easy to tell the alien "threat" was thrown in last minute to make the movie more marketable. Signs is a family drama first and foremost, it becomes at most a suspense film second. There is no sense of macabre or dread in the so called atmosphere of Signs, at most the audience is left to question, "why are the aliens here and what do they want?" That is not horror as the audience does not know what they are there for, they don't know what the plan is. Not knowing the intentions of a "threat" is not horror but suspense.

What the audience is given is a family that has had this great tragedy forced upon them and we watch as they try to stay as a family and a once religious man questions faith. With occasional random scenes of aliens outside the window as a way to lie to the audience saying "oh by the way an alien invasion is going on so this is really a suspense movie." Your attempt at defending the jump scares did nothing but prove my point that they were there just to get a few seconds of a reaction, it added nothing to the supposed atmosphere that the defenders keep referring to and it does nothing to qualify as horror.

I do agree Saw was not a violent movie since all we really saw was an aftermath but Saw is far more horror than Signs as Saw lead you to believe death was inevitable for these characters. Whether the killer or not was the one who was actually going to kill them the audience was lead to believe they were going to die and could only hope they found a way out. Which is why Saw is one of those films that could go to either side. (I'm only referring to the first Saw movies as the sequels/series have become nothing more than a gimmick much like Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street.)

Going by your definition as to what can be considered horror and what is not isn't wrong and that's not the problem but people have decided that if they are scared or horrified by what they see then they're free to call it horror. Which is fine if we are just talking about opinions but it doesn't work that way for deciding what is and what is not horror.

Yes there are the blatant horror movies, then there are ones that have more going on that just person X hacking up random people. To give the best example in comparison to Signs, The Host is a movie that has its story and characters that can qualify as horror. Once again The Host has alot to do with a family drama but the story is about a family that is torn apart after a monster went on a rampage took several family members, while Signs is about a family and there just happens to be an alien invasion going on aswell.

There is alot to consider when deciding what genre a movie fits into, especially when looking into the context of the story, it's those things (and more) that separate the movies from horror, action, drama, etc. Not ones personal reaction to a movie or if happens to have minor themes that are from another genre.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Cataclysm; 01-05-2008 at 03:30 PM.

Knight
    This user has no status.

Not sure how 'Saw' has brought down the horror genre any more than it was already 'down' to begin with.

People like to come on here and pretend that the horror genre is all about high art and that only horror films with 'atmosphere' and 'tension' should be considered 'true horror' and movies that are out to 'shock' and 'offend' should not since that's somehow in their mind a much cheaper tactic than jump scares.

Fact: The horror genre has ALWAYS been about trying to 'shock' and 'offend'. Even some of the most respected horror films (The Exorcist, The Omen) have moments of 'shock' thrown in which work just as nicely as any jump scare or wannabe Hitchcock 'tension' that hacks like M. Knight could ever create.

Last edited by Knight; 01-05-2008 at 04:54 PM.

Diz mutha F'er got banned!
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    11-10-2009

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Not sure how 'Saw' has brought down the horror genre any more than it was already 'down' to begin with.

People like to come on here and pretend that the horror genre is all about high art and that only horror films with 'atmosphere' and 'tension' should be considered 'true horror' and movies that are out to 'shock' and 'offend' should not since that's somehow in their mind a much cheaper tactic than jump scares.

Fact: The horror genre has ALWAYS been about trying to 'shock' and 'offend'. Even some of the most respected horror films (The Exorcist, The Omen) have moments of 'shock' thrown in which work just as nicely as any jump scare or wannabe Hitchcock 'tension' that hacks like M. Knight could ever create.
    Very much agreed.

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-13-2010

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Yeah, that's true, but it's the horror movies that are made with the sole purpose of shocking and offending that are kind of sneered at by horror fans. I think it's safe to say no critic hates Eli Roth more than a snobbish horror fan (which I hope nobody here has hangups about admitting they are one).

And Cataclysm, I see what you're saying about Signs, and I understand you much more now that you've kind of expanded on what you were saying, but I think we've just hit a brick wall with perspective. You saw a family drama with a secondary story about aliens - I saw a horror movie with a secondary story about a former priest's conflicted faith.

"This is not an exit."

Fresh Zealot
    I am high.

Status
    Last Online
    11-19-2019

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 10
    Quote Originally Posted by dead breed View Post
    Don't get the cynical bastard excited.
    The Molson is on you

Steelbaz Youtube Channel

Nosferatu = UHM's Snitch

Knight
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by ASoron0424 View Post
    I think it's safe to say no critic hates Eli Roth more than a snobbish horror fan (which I hope nobody here has hangups about admitting they are one).
    Hating Eli Roth doesn't make you a snobbish horror fan. It makes you a smart person.

Life... 2 inches to the left.
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-23-2011

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Hating Eli Roth doesn't make you a snobbish horror fan. It makes you a smart person.

Hey, we agree on something. Imagine that...

Our immortality is found in the words and actions of our children.

You see relatives at holidays, weddings, and funerals, but family is always with you.

Do not steal, rape, or murder. Everything else is fair game.

Facing failure is easier than running from regret.

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-13-2010

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by slimeisacharacter View Post
    Hey, we agree on something. Imagine that...

"This is not an exit."

Knight
    This user has no status.

Unfair to label 'Saw' as the downfall of horror when 'Hostel 2' probably set it back 10 years.

Life... 2 inches to the left.
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-23-2011

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Unfair to label 'Saw' as the downfall of horror when 'Hostel 2' probably set it back 10 years.
    And Turistas kicked the genre in the nuts right after that...

Our immortality is found in the words and actions of our children.

You see relatives at holidays, weddings, and funerals, but family is always with you.

Do not steal, rape, or murder. Everything else is fair game.

Facing failure is easier than running from regret.

Master of Brutality
    Back at it again.

Status
    Last Online
    10-10-2020

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Add UzumakiW on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 75
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID UzumakiW Steam ID UzumakiW
    I don't believe Hell Boy is full on horror. It has horror elements, but I don't consider it full on horror.

And in my opinion, the true downfall of horror movies are these crappy remakes. Not saying that all remakes are bad, because some are good, but these crappy ones are ruining it. Such as th recent one to come out, One Missed Call.

Last edited by UzumakiW; 01-06-2008 at 01:26 AM.

"We all go a little mad sometimes"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123