Visit Scaremonger's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID midnight_rider71

RIP Vampira

January 11: RIP Maila “Vampira” Nurmi

Fango is saddened to report that actress, horror host and Goth icon Maila “Vampira” Nurmi has died. According to Nurmi friend and Arkham Studios FX artist Bryan Moore, the actress passed peacefully in her sleep Thursday, January 10 at her home in Hollywood, CA. She was 86.

“It was only a month ago that Heather [Saenz] and I picked her up in our 1951 hearse [featured in Tim Burton’s ED WOOD] for her birthday,” Moore tells Fango. “Our hearse club celebrated with a short tour of Hollywood Forever Cemetery and then on to The Stinking Rose [a local Hollywood restaurant]. She was an amazing lady, and her likes will not be seen again.”

Born Maila Elizabeth Syrjäniemi on December 21, 1921 in Finland, Nurmi made her way to Hollywood (after her family relocated to Ohio) at age 17 to pursue a career as an actress. She’s best known for her 1950s persona of Vampira, a character she created and which she used to great effect as the horror hostess of THE VAMPIRA SHOW (a weekly series which aired on a pair of Los Angeles TV stations from 1954-1955, and was nationally syndicated) and in director Ed Wood’s cult classic PLAN NINE FROM OUTER SPACE (1959). Nurmi’s influence on horror, fashion (Elvira, anyone?), film and music (punk-Goth acts The Misfits and The Damned both recorded songs about her) can be felt to this day.

Such was her universal appeal that she received an Emmy Award in 1954 for “Most Outstanding Female Personality” of that year, and while she’s a cult figure now, the actress counted among her acquaintances icons Elvis Presley, Marilyn Monroe and director Orson Welles (whom she dated), as well as James Dean and sci-fi mogul/Famous Monsters of Filmland editor Forrest J “Forry” Ackerman. Nurmi’s additional screen credits include the 1998 feature I WOKE UP EARLY THE DAY I DIED (the last Ed Wood script to be produced, in which she appeared opposite Billy Zane) and the documentaries SCHLOCK! THE SECRET HISTORY OF AMERICAN MOVIES (released in 2003 and directed by Ray Greene), AMERICAN SCARY (2006, directed by Robert E. Hudgens) and most recently director Kevin Sean Michael’s docu VAMPIRA: THE MOVIE (2006).

Moore relates that in 2005, “Maila also served as the Grand Marshal for the World's Longest Hearse Procession at the Petersen Automotive Museum [in Los Angeles]. We set the record with 76 hearses. She was sharp as a tack until the very end, and her warmth and humor endeared her to all.” As for funeral arrangements, “They are pending legal steps, as Maila had no relatives,” says Moore. “We are going to do our best to see if we can get her a spot at Hollywood Forever, and will likely plan some sort of hearse procession for her.” Fitting, as Ed Wood's wife and Nurmi's friend Kathy is interred there as well. You will be missed, Maila. —Sean Decker

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=5748

-----------------------------------

A monster kid legend in the 50s who paved the way for horror tv hosts, including the knockoff Elvira, and the subject of a Misfits song.

There was a recent DVD released called 'Vampira The Movie', and I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I hear it's pretty poorly done. Too bad, as I know her story is worthy of a more competent release.

R.I.P.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Diz mutha F'er got banned!
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-06-2011

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Rip

Last edited by dead breed; 01-12-2008 at 01:34 PM.

Life... 2 inches to the left.
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-23-2011

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Theres a trip down memory lane for me... RIP.

Our immortality is found in the words and actions of our children.

You see relatives at holidays, weddings, and funerals, but family is always with you.

Do not steal, rape, or murder. Everything else is fair game.

Facing failure is easier than running from regret.

Knight
    This user has no status.

RIP

The Misfits tune is groovy as hell.

Chief of UHM
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-22-2015

Member #
    Threads