12-20-2014

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

The Crow remake: Starting Jason Statham?

Jason Statham talked today with IESB about The Bank Job, Crank 2, Transporter 3 and, believe it or not, Namor, the Sub-Mariner.

Sitting down with Jason Statham, it’s hard to separate the man from his work. That’s maybe a blessing and a curse for an actor who seems to exude natural bad-assery. He joked with reporters earlier in the day that even when he gets straight forward dramatic roles, they always end up writing in a fight scene.
    IESB: When you started acting, did you ever picture yourself becoming such an action hero superstar?

Statham: Maybe in a dream, one day. But no, I’ve always been very motivated to take it as far as I can. The fact that you do a movie that people enjoy and that it has a certain amount of success is like a boost. You go “Great, fuck, I did something that people liked.” Then you think, fuck, how can we take it to the next level? Can we do something a bit bigger, a bit better. Give a few more good actors in. You’re always trying to top what you did the last time so you’ll never be content. I don’t think you’ll ever sit on top of the mountain and go, “You know what? Fuck, I did it. I did what I wanted to do.” I feel I’ve got a long way to go. I regard that as a motivating factor. So yeah, I made a couple of decent films. I’ve made a couple of not-so-decent films. So the drive is certainly there.

IESB: Now when you say “not-so-decent”, are those still good experiences?

Statham: Yeah. I mean, you can only learn by your mistakes. A lot of the time you’re not responsible for the way a movie finishes. Some of the time you have a certain amount of responsibility but, you know, you learn to be more rigid with your decisions and less risky. As the stakes get higher, you want to be a bit more careful, you know? I think now I’m in a position where I don’t want to take too many risks. I just want to work with decent people and I think to work with someone like Roger [Donaldson] was a real indication of that. When I finished the movie with him, it was like, fuck, he’s so protective with something like that. He understands the narrative. He understands the characters. He understands where he’s gonna cut and where he’s not. You know, he’s got it all pre-planned. You’re not wasting time shooting ten hours of coverage. He knows what he needs. You just surrender all your fears. They just disappear because you’re working with someone you trust. The same thing happens when you work with someone like Guy Ritchie, you know. You just don’t care because you know they’re going to make a good movie no matter what.

IESB: Speaking of Guy Ritchie, he’s moving into directing The Dirty Dozen. Has he talked to you about appearing in that?

Statham: No, he hasn’t. I haven’t seen Guy in a little while. But we’ll get together soon enough. But I’ll work with him until I can’t even fucking walk anymore. You know, he’s there forever in my eyes.

IESB: Do you have a dream project that you’ve always wanted to do?

Statham: Yeah, I’ve got a few. I think my dream project would be to work with somebody like Michael Mann or Martin Scorsese and within that project there to be someone like Russell Crowe there. To do something where I could expand upon my other sort of area. I think that’s what I’d like to do. At the same time, I’d like to do a dream action movie. Something that has enough of a budget, enough of a great script, enough great locations and a real character-driven action movie. Not just some bit of fluff to try and sell straight to DVD. Something that has a bit of longevity – a bit of quality – to it. An adult action movie. Not to say that adults don’t go to see films like Crank and Snatch but I’d like to do something that’s a bit more of a thriller.

IESB: Are there any comic book characters that you’d like to play in a film?

Statham: Yeah, absolutely. That’d be another area of my wishlist. I’d love to play one, yeah.

IESB: Anyone in particular?

Statham: Let me think… It’s funny, I took a meeting for Sub-Mariner. I don’t know if I’d look right running around in a tight speedo with wings on my ankles but there’s so many cool fucking characters. The Hulk, I’ve always been a big fan of but Ed Norton’s doing that. And rightly so. He’s fucking amazing. And he’s working with Louis Leterrier, believer it or not who did The Transporter. I’m trying to think of what would be a good comic book character for me to play. You know, there’s talk of them redoing The Crow. That was a good movie with Brandon Lee, although that was years ago. So if that one comes my way, bang! You know, there’s so many comic book movies out there and most of the time there’s only a handful of people who can do them any justice. Hopefully, they’ll come my way for one of them.

IESB: What about getting on the other side of the camera? Ever wanted to write or direct?

Statham: Writing, no way. Directing? Yeah, I could see some possibility of that down the way. I’ve made some silly home videos. You want to see them? (Laughs) I’ve had a video camera since I was a kid. My buddies used to come over and we’d make some videos. Some silly ones. I’d edit them on my computer, you know. I-Movie and very simple linear editing. But yeah, I’ve always had my finger in a pie in that sense. And I love photography so it’s just an extension of that. And understanding the characters and putting the story together. So yeah, I wouldn’t rule it out. But I’m having a lot of fun on the front side. When I get old and the joints stop working, maybe I should slip around the other side.

IESB: Now Guy Ritchie actually wrote a comic called Gamekeeper that he’s talked about making into a film.

Statham: I haven’t looked at it but he’s very excited about it. (Imitating Ritchie) “Yeah, I really want to do this one. It’s fucking going to be great.” So yeah. I’m sure there’s a huge trend for this kind of film and I’m sure he’ll do a good job of it.

IESB: So coming up next is Crank 2 and Transporter 3…

Statham: Yeah, two franchises. Fucking hell. It’s crazy because over the past few months, I’ve had a ton of offers. You want to do something you want to do and you want to do something that people want you to do. You don’t want to just do a movie to be different. It’s like, does this work for me? Right? It’s a character I’ve played and the script’s okay but where do you score in that film? So you just have to put everything on the scale. Right at the time, Transporter 3 and Crank 2 made the most sense because they’re the characters people like. But people like to pigeonhole you into the corner of that’s all you can do but they’re going to do that anyway. If you do something that is away from appealing to the public they go, “Why didn’t he just do Transporter 3? Everyone wanted to see that!”. You can’t fucking please everyone so you just have to please yourself. If everyone enjoys it, then great. You can never please everyone.

IESB: So you’d like to work on smaller films, too?

Statham: Yeah, I did a film called London. I don’t know if anyone ever saw it. It’s a great thing. I filmed it in like 20 days. There’s pages and pages of dialogue. It’s great. I can really sink my teeth into that kind of stuff. But not a lot of people go to see those films. They’re very art-housey. There’s a fine line. You can’t keep making too many of those. You have to strike a balance between something not too ridiculously commercial and something that will win the attention of the people out there and at the same time give you a little bit of credibility. I think that The Bank Job catches both sides there. It’s entertaining, isn’t it? It’s fun. It’ll be interesting to see how The Bank Job does.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option...4182&Itemid=99

The Crow does NOT need a remake.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

UHM's Zombie Killer
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Follow Il Duce On Twitter Add Il Duce on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    I think he should stick with just doing sequals such as Transporter 3 etc dunno about a Crow remake which it doesn't need.

Driden
    This user has no status.

This better not happen. Jason is done anyway. He's doing lame Uwe Boll films, remakes and poor Martial Art films with has been Jet Li. If he touches The Crow I'll hate him

I paid $20 for what?
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    07-01-2010

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow Luris Blear On Twitter Add Luris Blear on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID arcanasphere
    I would love to see the Crow remade. Maybe this time it would make any kind of sense to someone who read the comic book first.

Fresh Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    02-16-2008

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    No need for this movie.

And The Crow II featured another actress who would later pass away (I know its common, but still) so it'd leave a bad taste in my mouth...I'm paranoid. I'm talking about Thuy Trang, by the way. She played Trini Kwan on Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and died in 2001 in a car accident.

This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 10
    The Crow should be Brandon Lee's legacy.

Leave it at that.

Jason Statham is totally unlikeable IMO. In terms of actual talent, hes more of the same type of action star hollywood has tried to shove down our throats over the years along the lines of Diesal especially.

Chief of UHM
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-22-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    some guy dies and comes back to life to get revenge. Granted none of them can touch the Brandon Lee film but the sequals have pretty much been remakes in their own right anyway. I personally think if they did another crow it needs to be a female character, just to make it a bit difference. maybe make her pregnant while she was alive or somethin.

Anyways I'm a big Statham fan so I'll watch just about anything he does. And I wouldnt mind seeing him play a comic book character. Granted he has an english accent but I wouldn't mind seeing him as Lex Luthor. And I mean the Luthor thats pretty built and wears that big green suit that he goes out and fights in. I could see him doing that. He could also be Panthro in a thundercats movie! lmao. But in all serious I guess I could see him playing Namor actually. I mean making that character not look dorky in real life would be difficult, but I've always like Namors jackass attitude. Statham could do that.

Rotting Zealot
    bears, beets, battlestar
    galactica

Status
    Last Online
    02-13-2021

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 40
    He could also be Panthro in a thundercats movie!
    It's quite obvious Panthro is a brother.

The Priest
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-29-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    The Crow is a awesome. I can't see anyone else playing the role. It would be a recipe for disaster.

I once was lost but now i'm found

My dvd collection

You'll Never Walk Alone

UHM's Reverend
    I take what I don't need... I
    crush... You BLEED...

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Follow WarBeast On Twitter Add WarBeast on Facebook
    Visit WarBeast's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 2
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Nope. PSN ID Dada Steam ID Don't want to share it. Wii Code Zilch
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Falling Rock View Post
    I personally think if they did another crow it needs to be a female character, just to make it a bit difference. maybe make her pregnant while she was alive or somethin.
    There was a Crow comicbook miniseries that was exactly that. She had a crow painted on her face with the wings painted over her eyes... it was pretty cool.

I would love to see a movie based on it.

Plucking Eyes, Sockets Red, Swarming Flies, EAT THE DEAD!!!!!! - Me

"The blackest night falls from the skies,
    The darkness grows, as all light dies,
    We crave your hearts and your demise,
    By my black hand— the dead shall rise!"

UHM's #1 Killer
    Half of life is fucking up,
    the other half is dealing with
    it.

Status
    Last Online
    11-25-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    I thought The Crow was pretty awesome, doesn't need a remake at all.

"(Insanity) is not hubris, not pride; it is inflation of the ego to its ultimate - confusion between him who worships and that which is worshiped.
    Man has not eaten God; God has eaten man." Philip K. Dick The Man in the High Castle (1962)

UHM's Serial Killer
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    07-21-2011

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Crank 2? What the fuck?

*Spoilers*Didn't he go SPLAT at the end of the first one?*Spoilers*

I paid $20 for what?
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    07-01-2010

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow Luris Blear On Twitter Add Luris Blear on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID arcanasphere
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_of_Gore View Post
    I know that the comic is a classic and much better, but the film adaptation set the bench-mark for all films like it after it.
    I guess in order:

I thought the comic was kind of out there. It was like everyone in Detroit was part of the local glam scene. (Don't get me wrong here -- I love Detroit's glam scene.) But the "Skull Cowboy" character was crucial to my enjoyment of the series. His purpose set the tone for a lot of the story that was completely torn apart by the "Kill the crow, kill the man" subplot. Really, that was my big sticking point.

I'll take Crow #3 as a victory from that camp. (Damnit, though, red and green lights do not make everything scarier.)

And there are some things I would dislike about a remake. The original did feel seedy and dirty, plus had a cameo by the Thrill Kill Kult.

I do not want to see it remade because I think the original is that bad. I would simply like to see someone with a respectable budget tell a story closer to what I was looking forward to.

Blog - Facebook - Myspace
    Night Shine Islands - Fantasy podcast, Last update: October 8
    I survived Camp Hacknslash

Driden
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Luris Blear View Post
    the "Skull Cowboy" character was crucial to my enjoyment of the series. His purpose set the tone for a lot of the story that was completely torn apart by the "Kill the crow, kill the man" subplot. Really, that was my big sticking point
    I know they originally had planned to use him. They even casted the Hills have Eyes character for the role. I saw a picture of him like this

budget constraints or time limitations I forget lead to him being cut out. I think it really took away from the death/revenge aspect of coming back

+ Reply to Thread