Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 94

Was Bruce Lee The Best?

I'm starting to get into Kung-Fu (Karate-whatever) movies again and was wondering who is kicking ass like the MASTER - Bruce Lee?

It's been about 1 year since my last KF flick.

Was he the best or is there someone out there now that matches BL's talent?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by koolmike; 02-05-2008 at 01:43 PM.
    "Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."

skybrick
    This user has no status.

old Jackie Chan stuff before he did American movies. Those movies are some awesome stuff.
    Believe it or not Chuck Norris had a karate movie or two.
    Bruce Lee stands alone though, I personally think he's the best.

EDIT: oops skimmed over your post and didn't see that you wondered about any body "now".

Last edited by skybrick; 02-05-2008 at 03:40 PM.

UHM's #1 Killer
    Half of life is fucking up,
    the other half is dealing with
    it.

Status
    Last Online
    11-25-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0
    Tony Jaa is excellent.

"(Insanity) is not hubris, not pride; it is inflation of the ego to its ultimate - confusion between him who worships and that which is worshiped.
    Man has not eaten God; God has eaten man." Philip K. Dick The Man in the High Castle (1962)

Driden
    This user has no status.

Bruce Lee was real and ahead of his time. He was the father of MMA. He created the mixture of styles, what worked, what didn't. Jackie Chan was a stunt man imo. Have you seen how many takes it takes him to do 1 scene right? that stuff doesn't work. Tony Jaa is 1 dimensional and would be dominated by any MMA fighter.

Bruce Lee had self defense books that actually workedand Bruce Lee actually competed.. sort of. not not to mention Bruce Lee created his own moves like the 1 inch punch. I remember growing up people always compared and debated with Jackie Chan and they said Jackie was a better actor/entertainer and his movies were better but then again did Jackie Chan do his own choreography like Bruce Lee did?

Is there anyone as good now? no. talented as him? no. smart as him? no. Bruce Lee studied over 26 styles man and created his own Martial Art Jeet Kune Do. There will never be another Bruce Lee.

Last edited by Driden; 02-05-2008 at 04:30 PM.

Theatricality and Deception
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    07-02-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    as far as martial art talent goes, Jet Li ranks up there. His movie Fist of Legend is my all time favorite martial arts movie, if you haven't seen it, it's a must see

Master of Brutality
    Back at it again.

Status
    Last Online
    10-10-2020

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Add UzumakiW on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 75
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID UzumakiW Steam ID UzumakiW
    Besides Bruce Lee, some of my favorites are

Tony Jaa
    Jet Li
    Old Jackie Chan movies

"We all go a little mad sometimes"

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-13-2010

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Jean Claude...O wait, Steven Seag... No, I'll go with Ralph Machio. :nod:

"I'll make him an offer he can't refuse" -Michael Corleone

UHM's Battle Royale Survivor
    This user is too awesome to
    have a status

Status
    Last Online
    05-18-2022

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag UHMs Misfit
    in a real life spar i really dont think anyone (livng or dead) could beat bruce lee.

Knight
    This user has no status.

Just about anyone trained in special forces fighting techniques could probably kill a guy like Bruce Lee rather easily.

Big difference between the crap you see in martial arts films and stuff that actually works in the real world.

UHM's Battle Royale Survivor
    This user is too awesome to
    have a status

Status
    Last Online
    05-18-2022

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag UHMs Misfit
    bruce is more then movie crap.

Knight
    This user has no status.

Really? Based on what?

How many armies and elite Special Forces units teach their soldiers Jeet Kun Do?

anti-social worker
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    02-18-2010

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Oddly enough, one of the sports radio shows in town just did a segment on "biggest bad-asses" today and Bruce Lee was the hands-down winner.

As far as how much he did would translate to real life "don't fuck wit' em"-ness, the years he spent in developing his skills against various opponents' styles before the movie years leads me to think he could definitely hold his own against a helluva lot.

"Lee believed that the fight had lasted too long and that he had failed to live up to his potential using Wing Chun techniques. He took the view that traditional martial arts techniques were too rigid and formalistic to be practical in scenarios of chaotic street fighting. Lee decided to develop a system with an emphasis on "practicality, flexibility, speed, and efficiency". He started to use different methods of training such as weight training for strength, running for endurance, stretching for flexibility, and many others which he constantly adapted."

Quote Originally Posted by Knight
    How many armies and elite Special Forces units teach their soldiers Jeet Kun Do?
    S it happens, Lee only went on to certify four students as instructors in Jeet Kune Do. Beyond that, the problem with your benchmark is, any effort to teach Lee's technique as a "system" renders it an inherently imperfect copy. The flexibility and adaptability Lee, himself, brought, to Jeet Kune Do is what made it advantageous. It seems to me, that's precisely what makes it most effective, but also what makes it most unteachable.

Patriot, n. One to whom the interests of a part seem superior to the interests of the whole. The dupe of statesmen and the tool of conquerers. ---Ambrose Bierce

Knight
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    Oddly enough, one of the sports radio shows in town just did a segment on "biggest bad-asses" today and Bruce Lee was the hands-down winner.
    Honestly, given Bruce Lee's mystique and popularity, sounds like a win-by-default thing to me. Bruce Lee had a decent boxing record in China prior to his film career, but outside of that, there's not much to go on about how effective he would be in a true life or death situation.

It seems to me, that's precisely what makes it most effective, but also what makes it most unteachable.
    Right, it's a philosophy more than anything, but I just haven't heard much about it being taught for real world application outside of MMA or competitive fighting.

Bottom line though, the notion that Bruce Lee, who was 130 lbs and 5-7, could destroy anyone barehanded regardless of that person's training and fighting ability, sounds like buying more into the legend than it does common sense.

Diz mutha F'er got banned!
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-06-2011

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by misfit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Really? Based on what?

Misfit means Bruce had more to him then fake movie crap, your just looking for an argument. It's common sense he was more then just the "easy" "quick" moves he did in his movies.

The Man, The Myth, The Legend
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads

Visit Scaremonger's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID midnight_rider71
    The only way someone can be judged anywhere near a definitive way is by looking at what they did at their peak, how they stood out from their peers in that particular time, and what the opinions were of those peers, who were in the best position to judge at the time. By most accounts, Lee was king, and not only in movies. On that alone, his legend status is most likely warranted. I do know he lost fights. We're not talking perfection here.

I think the bottom line is that the only way to measure greatness is by looking at how they dominated the field they were in their era. An example of this would be sports teams, or individual athletes.

The Bruce Lee thing is tricky, because there's really not a lot to go on outside of what other greats thought at the time. His interest went to movies rather than competitive fighting.

Knight
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by dead breed View Post
    your just looking for an argument.
    You're one to talk. You make it your own personal mission to bait me in almost every thread. Tip: There's a big difference between 'looking for an argument' and engaging in a debate/discussion. Instead of trying to call someone out on absolutely nothing you could always contribute to the discussion at hand. Think about that next time you carelessly hit the 'Submit Reply' button.

It's common sense he was more then just the "easy" "quick" moves he did in his movies.
    I'm not even sure that's what I was fucking saying in the first place, but feel free to elaborate.

Last edited by Knight; 02-07-2008 at 12:05 AM.

This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-06-2011

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    He was obviously experienced in martial arts because he taught it:

Lee got a job teaching the Wing Chun style of martial arts that he had learned in Hong Kong. In 1964, at a tournament in Long Beach, Calif. — the first major American demonstration of kung fu — Lee, an unknown, ripped through black belt Dan Inosanto so quickly that Inosanto asked to be his student.

http://www.time.com/time/time100/her...ile/lee02.html

-------------------------

Misfit just meant that there was more to Bruce then what you see in the movies. He didn't say Bruce could beat a soldier that's in the elite special forces or anything (I'm not saying you said that either)

This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-06-2011

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    You're one to talk. You make it your own personal mission to bait me in almost every thread. Tip: There's a big difference between 'looking for an argument' and engaging in a debate/discussion. Instead of trying to call someone out on absolutely nothing you could always contribute to the discussion at hand. Think about that next time you carelessly hit the 'Submit Reply' button.

I'm not even sure that's what I was fucking saying in the first place, but feel free to elaborate.
    Well what were you trying to say then? Feel free to elaborate.

Knight
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by dead breed View Post
    Misfit just meant that there was more to Bruce then what you see in the movies.
    Obviously, considering he was a boxer before a movie star. And yes, what people mostly know of him is what they see in movies. As previously stated, most of Bruce Lee is mystique and Hollywood legend. He taught martial arts...great, but isn't there thousands of martial arts instructors out there? Combine that with the fact that a lot of people don't know how to separate movie fiction from reality and you have the recipe for Bruce Lee being this invincible super god rather than a for what he actually was; a good martial artist, philosopher, a charismatic actor, and a wonderful fight choreographer who brought the martial arts film to a new level and audience. 'The Best'...I don't know. There's a lot of great martial arts stars of the era who I would personally put on the same level.

This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-06-2011

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by misfit View Post
    Really? Based on what?

Well you just agreed there was more to him then what you see in the movies, but I'm wondering why you said "Really? Based on what?" If you already knew Bruce was more then movie crap, why would you ask Misfit that question?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast