Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle_Julia View Post
    This movie was fuckin amazing and in my opinion if u dont like it ur not a true horror fan
    In my opinion you have no opinion. You just like the movies other people like. Which explains your compelling urge to buy every movie someone else likes (Fright).

You can dislike a movie and still be a horror fan... Jungle Julia :stone:

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by steelba; 05-30-2008 at 08:20 PM.

Steelbaz Youtube Channel

Nosferatu = UHM's Snitch

UHM's Battle Royale Survivor
    This user is too awesome to
    have a status

Status
    Last Online
    05-18-2022

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag UHMs Misfit
    Its true name 1 horror movie that came out in theaters this years that is better then the strangers....prom night :shakehead not lol have u even seen it yet u ass?
    cause you know it all it must be true

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-20-2014

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    great movie - 9/10

Thrash or Die
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    02-23-2013

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Hmmm I'll have to check this out this weekend. Finally good to hear that theres a good american horror movie out, for w hile I've been getting my horror from video games (which is why I'm stoked for Dead Space this fall)

Killing Is My Busines... And Business Is Good!

Rotting Zealot
    MidnightMovieGuy

Status
    Last Online
    06-18-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Busy
    Follow BooBerry On Twitter Add BooBerry on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Expecting some deleted scenes at least on the DVD release. These images didn't seem to make it to the final cut because I didn't see them in the film last night.

Last edited by BooBerry; 05-30-2008 at 09:09 PM.
    Last Flick Seen: WolfCop - 5/10 The Quiet Ones - 2/10 Starry Eyes - 6/10
    Midnight Movie Gay - http://midnightmoviegay.wordpress.com
    Instagram: MidnightMovieGay

Hello?
    hi guys

Status
    Last Online
    04-22-2016

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Doh
    Add Get Some on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 5
    can't wait to see movie tomorrow night! especially after reading your review and everyones responses

RIP JJ

Horror Character Draft Winners
    1-IKickAssFortheLord
    2-2011 Darkgod

Non Horror Character Draft Winners
    1-Shreds of Flesh
    2-2011 Woodenheart

TV Character Draft Winners
    1-Mudvayne_Eternal

My little DVD collection- http://getsome.dvdaf.com/owned

UHM's Zombie Killer
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Follow Il Duce On Twitter Add Il Duce on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Sounds good, i'm most likely gonna check it out tomorrow early showing with some friends.

UHM's Deli Man
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    01-09-2009

Member #
    Threads
    Add XdrewX on Facebook
    Thumbs Up

\m/

Just got back from seeing it a 2nd time Not as good as the first one of course but it was still the best time I've had at a theater in a long time seriously. I dont I've had that much fun since the Scream movies haha The crowd was very lively and screaming and jumping it was great! When I saw it last night, I saw it with 5 other people and I saw it with 4 different ones tonight and so far they've all like it. I think if you like Halloween, you'll like this movie

Fresh Zealot
    I am high.

Status
    Last Online
    11-19-2019

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 10
    XxlamexX

Steelbaz Youtube Channel

Nosferatu = UHM's Snitch

UHM's Deli Man
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    01-09-2009

Member #
    Threads
    Add XdrewX on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    lol XNOTLAMEX!

The Gay One
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    07-31-2013

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    steelba pickin on the noobs again.

"He's a real gentleman. I bet he takes the dishes out of the sink before he pees in it." Shirley Maclaine as Weezer

too many BANNED MOFOs
    Bo-rack Obama mutha fucka

Status
    Last Online
    06-06-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    ugh, I really hate bursting bubbles like this but... i'm kind of torn over this film.

**********Spoilers in black***********but just to be on the safe side, don't read it anyway if you don't want anything spoiled....

Okay, so I just got back from seeing it, and maybe my thoughts haven't gathered on how I truly feel about it, and it may have been the annoying mother fuckers who literally didn't stop talking loud enough for the theatre to hear until 20 minutes into the movie, with random yells throughout as well.

I began thoroughly enjoying it. The opening was wonderfully original. The acting was top notch, and the cinematography and soundtrack also get an A+, plus Scott Speedman was nice to look at.
    I also adored the setting, the pine trees and 1970's architectural style home were magnificent, and far above any shitty modern "When A Stranger Calls" remake home would ever be.

The main bone I have to pick with the film was that it seems to just drag us into some rather long and unoriginal scenes. Even scenes that were supposed to be suspenseful, if watched in fast-forward, you'd probably think "there is no way I would have sat through all that at normal speed" (such as... the crawling through the yard/barn scene)
    Also, the character development wasn't what I thought it should have been. I just didn't care that they died at the end, and with the type of death they got, I should have atleast felt something. I think I felt more sympathy for the people who were brutally stabbed at the picnic in Zodiac, and they barely had any dialogue. Of course, this is likely due to the fact that I didn't get a chance to know the characters because I was extremely annoyed by the people sitting behind me. The perceived lack of character development also made me question the films purpose. Immediatley after watching the brutal deaths I was just thinking "okay.. so what was the point of all of this. I feel no emotion, and if anything it feels as if they were attempting to acheive sensationalism"
    I don't really have a problem with the killers. I like how they never show the faces in full view, helping the audience read into much more terror than is actually there. The scene with the mormon kids was excellent, and even though I knew what was going to happen to the brother/best friend whatever dude long before it happend, I still give them credit for lingering on the scene enough so that I questioned my own judgement. I did not like the last few seconds of the film, it made me feel like the director was trying to make more of a pop-up scare film, rather than a horrific look at violent crime.

I think that's about it. And after proof reading what I've written, it also sounds like I really ought to rewatch the film with few people in the theatre.

And oh yeah, fuck you jungle julia.

MAYBE
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    01-08-2010

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    I'll be seeing it on my days off next week. Most likely Wednesday. I hate working 4pm-12:30am.

FINALLY, A MOVIE LIVES UP TO IT'S HYPE!

Rotting Zealot
    MidnightMovieGuy

Status
    Last Online
    06-18-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Busy
    Follow BooBerry On Twitter Add BooBerry on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    I disagree with you Thorn, on the character development. I thought they were as close as real people as you could get in a horror film.

But I agree with you about the scene with the friend from the wedding. Saw it before it happened but they did do it nicely.

Last edited by BooBerry; 05-31-2008 at 10:45 AM.
    Last Flick Seen: WolfCop - 5/10 The Quiet Ones - 2/10 Starry Eyes - 6/10
    Midnight Movie Gay - http://midnightmoviegay.wordpress.com
    Instagram: MidnightMovieGay

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-03-2011

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    my favorite thing about the film is that it doesn't treat the audience like idiots.

From the opening, with the silence between the couple, we are given lots of story without actually being told too much.

Then from time to time, there are scary sequences where the audience knows what to expect is happening, but then, the director lingers just a bit too long that the audience begins to doubt their own preconceived notions about what is happening....such as the closet scene, or the friend scene.

It's been a long time since I've seen a horror film that doesn't treat the audience like idiots, and I truly appreciate that. I hate to say this about films that just came out, but this has made its way into my favorites list.

From the setting, to the set decoration, to the wonderful music, to the fantastic acting, and the superb script and masterful direction, this is the horror movie to see in 2008.

"Suzy, do you know anything about witches?"

Chief of UHM
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-22-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    watched it last night, and while it wasn't perfect its well worth the view and its way better than most crap that hits the theater in our beloved genre.

I cared for 1 out of the 2 characters. Scott Speedman, even though he didn't get what he wanted he still treated her with respect and did what he could to protect her, and I admired that in him. He didn't have to do that. While Liv on the other hand is your typical idiotic female that directors love to put into horror flicks.

I'm not being sexest here. But horror directors love their stupid chicks. She runs outside and the first thing she does is what?? Falls down and hurts her ankle, thats right folks. The cliche to end all cliche's in a slasher/stalking killer flick. And it doesn't even take her anytime to do it. She runs outside and boom shes down. And when she goes into the shed and see's all those shiny weapons she could grab does she take anything??? of course not, why would she? Shes a moron.

I thought the killers were done really well. I loved how they played absolutly no music when the guy walked in and was watchin Liv smoke a cig. that was creepy as hell, and hearing everyone in the theater gasp just made it that much more effect.

Although my favorite of the strangers was the blond girl. She struck me as even more psychotic than the other 2. When shes sitting on the swing with that mask on....that was just creepy. I really dug that chick. I did feel like the ending sucked but I was expecting that kind of ending so it didn't bother me as much considering I was expecting it. And I didn't like how in the first scene of the movie the ending is spoiled for your. So if you get the ending spoiled before you see the movie don't be to upset. The beginning of the movie does it for you anyway.

But all in all this is a good movie, parts of it really reminded me of Halloween. Which is what I was hoping for. The setting was great, the atmosphere worked and the killers were creepy. Its got its flaws, especially with the ending. But its worth your time. And I'm glad to see it making enough money. It only cost $9 million to make and its made $20. I'm hoping this has an effect in the future with what kind of horror they put out.

Zombiefied Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    05-30-2010

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    This movie was fuckin amazing and in my opinion if u dont like it ur not a true horror fan best horror film so far this year
    Guess I'm not a true horror fan. It annoyed the shit out of me.

But then again, you never saw Scanners until recently, wich IMO is a horror staple.

Last edited by opterasis; 06-01-2008 at 03:45 PM.

UHM's Battle Royale Survivor
    This user is too awesome to
    have a status

Status
    Last Online
    05-18-2022

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag UHMs Misfit
    Quote Originally Posted by RampantChaos View Post
    my favorite thing about the film is that it doesn't treat the audience like idiots.

From the opening, with the silence between the couple, we are given lots of story without actually being told too much.

Then from time to time, there are scary sequences where the audience knows what to expect is happening, but then, the director lingers just a bit too long that the audience begins to doubt their own preconceived notions about what is happening....such as the closet scene, or the friend scene.

It's been a long time since I've seen a horror film that doesn't treat the audience like idiots, and I truly appreciate that. I hate to say this about films that just came out, but this has made its way into my favorites list.

From the setting, to the set decoration, to the wonderful music, to the fantastic acting, and the superb script and masterful direction, this is the horror movie to see in 2008.
    i remember you, its been awhile sense you been online

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-24-2009

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    if u dont like it ur not a true horror fan
    You can't be serious?

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-13-2010

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    I'm sorry, this is gonna sound sexist, but I'm really fucking tired of this female empowerment stream that's been running through slasher movies since the seventies, where the only person to survive (or at least the last person to die) is a "strong female figure." Not that women can't be strong and work their way out of situations - but seriously, how often is the huge, angry bodybuilder gonna get the knife easier than the small, skinny-as-an-ethiopian-with-body-issues, screaming and sobbing virgin?
    And anyone who's ever met a true, honest-to-God slut knows that the slut would put up way more of a valiant fight than the timid virgin *coughcoughNeveCampbell*.
    But yeah, even though Liv Tyler doesn't take nearly as harsh a beating in Strangers as Scott Speedman does, this is much more of a balanced act.

Does anyone agree with me or should I change my usertage to "UHM's Sexist Pig?"

"This is not an exit."

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast