Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Add woodenheart on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 167
    The opening scene in The Night Of The Living Day 1968...til this day freaks me out...yeah simple scene but the atmosphere and the black and white does it for me. Also when I was a kid my brothers and I watched The Texas Chainsaw Masscre. I handled it ok...went to bed...then they went to the shed and got our chainsaw and went under my window and started it up......needed new bed sheets!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Fresh Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-07-2008

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by ASoron0424 View Post
    I thought that for years but then screamed repeatedly in The Strangers -- which is ridiculous, it's not even terribly scary, but on opening night I think the atmosphere was such that everyone kinda gets scared together. Whether or not you can be scared by a movie has a lot to do with aspects the movie has no control over: culture, audience, audience setting, current events, personal experiences, etc. I think everyone still has the potential to be scared by a movie, it just has to strike the right personal/atmospheric chords, and for someone who's such a huge fan of the genre we pretty much develope an immunity to the usual fright tricks of movies, so at a certain point of experience in the genre, an experience level so high that even the most original horror movies seem at least a bit formulaic, we need to get personally involved in a movie to really feel an affect.

I saw The Strangers a second time two days later and was totally unfazed by it, which convinced me of the impression your surrounding audience can make on the experience.
    Anyone else not like The Strangers or am I alone in this one? I watched it last night and was bored most of the way through. I know I should have enjoyed it, as it is just the kind of movie I usually look for but I just couldn't connect with it in any way. The lengths of tension and dread were lost on me because I didn't feel for the characters and was just hoping one of them would die soon.

If I was watching it in the cinema though I probably would have got more involved and found the experience much scarier. The whole mass hysteria effect while watching a horror movie in the cinema is such a buzz.

My List
    Older Movies:
    Nightmare on Elm Street
    Candyman (not scary in itself but the whole premise freaked me out as a child)
    The People Under the Stairs
    Poltergeist 3 (scary things with mirrors freak me out)
    Childs Play (mainly because my sister had a life sized doll at the time which I had nightmares about practically every night for 4 years till she got rid of it)
    The Exorcist
    Pet Semetary
    Evil Dead 2(my fave film of all time. The bit where linda is sitting there laughing and saying "we're gonna get you" creeps me out so much)
    The Vanishing/Spoorloos

Newer Movies:
    Event Horizon
    Thirteen Ghosts (not a great film but the ghosts were original and scary)
    High Tension
    Ju On: The Grudge
    The Descent
    Them/Ils

Haven't found many recent films that genuinely scare me, most newer ones seem more about the shock factor and dishing out buckets of gore than genuinely building up a terrifying tension and atmosphere.

I think part of the reason the older movies are so much scarier to us is the sense of nostalgia they carry, which brings us back to all our childhood fears.. when we really were scared of monsters in the closet.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567