Last Online
    07-07-2008

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Double Feature reviews..."Slacker," and "Brazil."

(Some minor spoilers in both reviews...)

---

Double Feature Review

"Slacker" - 1991, Directed by Richard Linklater.

I recently purchased the three disk ultimate edition of Kevin Smith's "Clerks,"
    on Amazon. Soon after it arrived in the mail, I saw on my computer that a new
    movie was recommended for me: Richard Linklater's "Slacker." I had about a
    hundred bucks leftover to blow, so I picked that up and a couple other DVDs...
    I didn't know I was in for the most mind-blowingly psychedelic indie-film ever.

The movie opens very strong, a scene of a man getting off a bus and getting into
    a taxi, talking to the driver non-stop from the backseat, going on and on about
    this wonderful theory about how "for every thought you have, it breaks off and
    becomes its own reality," that scene alone had me absolutely hooked on watching
    this movie. Unfortunately, the rest of the movie has nothing to do with this
    character, but on the up-side, every other featured character is just like him.
    They're all slackers, drifting around the streets of Austin, Texas (Linklater's
    hometown, I think.) where they follow strangers, talk about life and pick apart
    pop-culture (the 'Smurfs' scene at the bar is priceless). Slacker is only about
    ninety minutes long, but every second of it is rewarding, from the man who should
    have stayed at the bus-station to the old anarchist, to the people running up the
    mountain with Super-8 cameras. This movie is not so much a movie, but a portrait
    of the life of the unemployed, the slackers and the lost souls who very much
    still roam the earth today. I give "Slacker," four out of five stars.

-

"Brazil," (Ultimate Final Cut) - 1985, Directed by Terry Gilliam.

In 1984, a movie called "1984," swept the world with it's dystopian vision of a
    beaurocratic future. One year later Monty Python's Terry Gilliam unleashed his
    vision of a beaurocratic future, he called it, "Brazil." I picked this three
    disk version of the movie at a Barnes and Noble's recently, the cover was enough
    to draw me in. I took it home, watched it and was blown away by the dark vision
    painted before me and have not been able to stop watching it since...

The film opens with something very similar to what we deal with today: terrorist
    bombings. Then it descends into the story of a man named Sam, who by day works
    at information retrieval, but by night dreams he is a superhero/angel rescuing
    the girl of his dreams. During the course of this, an administrative error is
    made, and Sam tries to fix it, but in turn, he accidently becomes an enemy of
    the state. Misadventures ensue and mayhem goes down. I don't want to spoil what
    happens, because this one of those movies you'll have to watch more than once to
    fully understand. But I will say this, Terry Gilliam, who directed movies like
    "Time Bandits," and "The Meaning of Life," was/is fifty years ahead of his time
    in terms of special effects. Almost everything in this movie looks real, I was
    completely dazzled with the special effects. They really put CGI to shame. Also
    I should note that the acting is top-notch and the movie runs at two-hours and
    thirty-some minutes, if you're watching the Ultimate Final Cut-- which is the
    only 'real' version of the movie. I highly recommend this film to everyone. It
    should be required viewing for every human being. I give "Brazil," 5/5.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Reality is a state of mind.

UHM's King of the Night
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1
    Bought the Clerks X package years ago... it's great. Slackers is the type of film that I watched once and enjoyed it but as long as I remember what happens I'll never watch it again.

Thy flesh consumed.
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    07-07-2008

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Another couple of good movies are "Videodrome," and "Naked Lunch."

Reality is a state of mind.

One Suave Fucker!
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    01-20-2009

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    brazil I still on my to watch list.... I've seen parts of the film but never the whole thing
    thanks for the review

No one ever wins, no one finally loses... except the dead. Under the sun, they rot together with absolute biological equality

Diz mutha F'er got banned!
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-06-2011

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Videodrome rules