Status
    Last Online
    01-31-2010

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    I thought it was decent enough. Never played the game but friends that had said it was a good adaptation.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Fresh Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    02-18-2009

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    K, ive played every silent hill game and i am obviously a huge fan of it. And in my opinion the movie was crap. I mean it was ok if u didnt play any of the games or follow the story but because i did it was a huge disapointment. The coolest part of the movie was Pyramid Head ( the big bad guy with a giant tin can on his head) they did a fantastic job with him. And i just want to know whose brilliant idea it was to use the mom instead of Harry ( the dad ) , lame...

horror freak from overseas.
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    06-09-2013

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Confused
    Thumbs Up
    felt like watered down silent hill game to me. Not as scary, but the atmosphere was at least right. Bit like a swedish vodka. Tastes like vodka, but is very lame otherwise.

Fresh Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-26-2009

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    i enjoyed the scenes of the movie and i am 50/50 on the story but i hated the very ending of the movie i would of preferd them not to make it back home at all rather than the way they did it. the part in the church was quite nice a thought, the bitch got what she deserved with the barbwire.

the one thing i would really thank for is the effects since i watched the making of it and for most part it was basicly actors in suits acting out with cgi too cover the areas that couldn't be done any other way.

the toilet scene for example was actualy a guy in make up and costume and basicly the only cgi used was some elementals on him and the walls were he puts his hand, they could of easly done all that cgi wise but they chose not too wich i like and we should be greatful for in this crappy world of cgi movies.

what did it miss? probably more of the creepyness of the children, walking body that spat out black goo and general horror characters of that nature all coming out to get you, trouble with doing that is you need a bigger cast in order to kill half of them off :nod:

A Big Bag of Tricks
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    07-09-2010

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    its on my favorites lists.

Fresh Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-25-2008

Member #
    Threads
    Add Moar Brains on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    I hated it. I expected it to be extremely scary and it really was pretty crappy.

UHM's Pedophile Hunter
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    06-08-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 22
    While it had a great. creepy atmosphere and decent special effects, this movie is lacking in story and script. I wouldn't say it "sucked" necessarily, but it could have been a lot better than it was. I found it pretty dull, and I won't be watching it again.

Check out my Movie Review Blog: http://www.kaysfilmcritiques.blogspot.com/

As well as my Book Review Blog: http://kaysbookcritiques.blogspot.com/

Fresh Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    01-08-2009

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Had it on pirate and i thought it was bad

Diz mutha F'er got banned!
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-24-2009

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by dead breed View Post
    My brother loves this movie, I think it's ok..just seemed to be something missing. What do you guys think of it?
    yea i would have to agree...it did feel like there was something missing...at the end i felt somewhat lost and i wanted them to like explain more what was going on...but then again its prolly my fault for not really following with the movie...but it was pretty good...i like the monsters in that movie...all looked scary...especially that one big thing with a weird looking head...like a knife or something idk what the heck it was but it was pretty crazy

Rotting Zealot
    Go quickly, travel safely, my
    young friend, to the land of
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 228
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    I love this flick. Pyramid Head is so badass. Too bad about the sequel, though.

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    The sequel

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    3 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Toby On Twitter Add Toby on Facebook
    Visit Toby's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 458
    The first movie I appreciate years later, since I didn't really like it when it first came out, but now since that terrible sequel SH:R 3D exists, the first movie is a fucking masterpiece in comparison, even though the first movie still has a lot of glaring problems, it goes off the rails toward the middle and the ending like a gory treat was still senseless with the plot and what not. The first movie has the look, the music, the monsters, the atmosphere, but it just sucks in the story and character department.

"It's a Freak Show! A Freak Show! See the strange and bizarre! Step right up, we'd love to see you! We think YOU can be the STAR! Hahahaha! Oooh! Hahahahaha! Ooohh! Hahahaha!"-Umlaut (CarnEvil)
    GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

"Ignorance must die if creation is to survive.."-Dillon Mason (Hacksaw: Documentary of a Psycho Killer)

Rotting Zealot
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    Didn't it follow the story and characters of the first game? Except changing the main character to a woman? I'm not too familiar with the story, as I haven't played the first game. I've played all the sequels, though.

I think a lot of people have problems with the religious cult that turns up halfway through the movie. I have no problem with that, personally. It's at heart a revenge story and the cult members get owned in a spectacular Hellraiser-like fashion.

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    3 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by CountOrlok View Post
    Didn't it follow the story and characters of the first game? Except changing the main character to a woman? I'm not too familiar with the story, as I haven't played the first game. I've played all the sequels, though.

I think a lot of people have problems with the religious cult that turns up halfway through the movie. I have no problem with that, personally. It's at heart a revenge story and the cult members get owned in a spectacular Hellraiser-like fashion.
    It does follow the story of the first game really well in the first half, the first half is great, and as soon as they get to the cult members that's where it falls apart because in Silent Hill it was far scarier when there was less and less people running around and just more monsters lurking around and it gets to a point at the end of the game where your missing daughter transforms into a god of fear and destruction and you defeat them and get a baby in the end or everyone just dies depending what you do in the game.

Once the cult got involved and it started explaining more story about Alessa and how she got her power and how the town became to be being spoon-fed the story it sucks out all the mystery and the effect of how scary the town is and now you know everything and you're not so scared by it and that's the problem.

I don't think we'll ever get a new or good Silent Hill movie ever...if they ever do they NEED to make Silent Hill 2 the main focus because it has a much more powerful and disturbing story, I love SH 1-4, but 1 and 3 are really weird in comparison to Silent Hill 2.

"It's a Freak Show! A Freak Show! See the strange and bizarre! Step right up, we'd love to see you! We think YOU can be the STAR! Hahahaha! Oooh! Hahahahaha! Ooohh! Hahahaha!"-Umlaut (CarnEvil)
    GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

"Ignorance must die if creation is to survive.."-Dillon Mason (Hacksaw: Documentary of a Psycho Killer)

UHM's Arrogant Metal Head
    If anything is possible, is it
    possible for something to be
    impossible?

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Tired
    Add DMHead777 on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 570
    Given: 1,294
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag DMHead777 PSN ID dmhead777 Steam ID whittem0re
    I don't care for the first film, maybe I have to watch it again. Girlfriend who is a huge fan of the games likes the movie a lot.

Fresh Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    01-04-2016

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    I think the big problem with taking a video game and making a movie out of it has many points

1.) There is going to be expectations for the movie to follow a game exactly like a book. So the Fans of teh game are going to be expecting the movie to be exactly like the game a almost frame by frame thing. However the issue is each gamer has a different outcome in respect to how they played it. from lets say playing a horror game in a casual feel to a rock and roll try and kill me bastard I am God Incarnate I Am Lemmy Bring It On. I hope not to offend but there are some game players who have some pretentiousness on how they would have made a movie. Well in the immortal words of Kevin Smith who brought us the View Askew Universe. hey kids in your smart phone is teh very tools you need to make Clerks. If you want to make a movie get a smart phone and make it. Kevin Smith will tell you straight up if someone had tossed him a Smart Phone like the latest iPhone back 20 some years ago it would have cut his budget greatly. So as the gamers wish that the movie could have been true to the game . remember there is a budget . they wanted to tell a story . they where not doing a Video Game Movie Shooter.

2.) lets talk budget a few have lightly brushed on this fact. bear in mind you can only do so much in a movie. Do Too much and it's overload sensory wise. Your mind is drawn all over the place. case in point Go to a Cirque Du Soleil performance of Alegrei . There is so much you miss going on around you if you focus on teh main stage performace . there is stuff going on behind teh stage performance The same thing with Blue Man Group . Seriously they have a performance set for those who are autistic who cant deal with sensory overload. Likewise for a movie you can only do too much before you overload your viewers. consider that it cost a lot and seriously

3.) i hate hearing idiots complain about CGI . real world would cost A LOT of money to make things non CGI and A LOT longer . Lets consider Star Wars or teh latest Jurassic World film Back in the early days to film star wars they made models and those models cost money and time. i dont know exact figures . but i am sure they had guys working around the clock making sets and models of ships etc back in those days it took a long time to film every thing / today we have CGI and while its not perfect yet . its getting hella better. would ya rather wait till your 95 to see a silent Hill film finally be made taht was perfect CGI wise or where they shobe a spike in ya head and ya get to live otu Silent hill and ya the main char. I think the cgi worked great

3.) Budgets. Be it the use of CGI or actors or a combo . everything cost money . getting the look right from teh nurses to the various creatures , the look of teh town the cost to obtain music for the film ( you ever wonder why hey why didnt they use .. song by so and so for this film? hey those bands say hey if ya going to use our song in that film we want x amount do soem research into a popular tv series WKRP in Cincinnati . they replaced a lot of teh music cause of music labels said no for the dvd releases ) The Actors need to get paid . they need to be covered insurance wise while on the set. food cost ya have to hire some caterer to make food for the people. your CGI folks need to get paid well . do you know what kind of life they live . its 3 am and director so and so is like an insomniac and reviewing some cgi stuff and is not happy called up team CGI Rocket . hey i was reviewing time index ... and i noticed a few flaws from .. to .. . i need this fixed now . team rocket CGI wakes up and goes to work at 3:30 am and doesnt stop till director so and so is happy with teh cut . its nuts

for teh tiem frame Silent hill was made it did a effective job in telling a story about silent hill . its not meant to be like Doom its a story of many stories that center around Silent Hill and they did a awesoem job with it Bravo. its a shame that many of the fans of the film dont focus on the greatness of a from video game to movie transition it was and how it coulld even open up a lot more films that center around Silent Hill.

I Liken this to how Steven Speilberg could have done a few War Of The World films . maybe how from a Japanese Military standpoint of how they dealt with the invasion. How about war Of The Worlds In Africa and a few other places maybe how a town in Montana got smart and was able to hold off teh war machines cause they laid remote controls bombs in the paths of the tripods a innoculas car turns out to be a bomb as teh tripod walks by it bang and it takes out teh legs and so forth.

Silent Hill has potential for alot of films keep that in mind. put aside preconceived pretentious notions and atch it for what it is a film about one aspect of Silent Hill and ya will be Wow that rocked

Rotting Zealot
    ghosts.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag amniac
    Most of the creatures in the films were practical except the little demon bugs and the mannequin monster. It definitely has much less cgi than most films of its type nowadays.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 262
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID ScaryGames101
    They were all fine up until, and including 4: The Room. After that, I found myself hating the atrocious gameplay. So much that I never even finished Downpour. And I cheated with Homecoming to obtain a ray gun.

One new game coming to the PS3 in a short while is Forgotten Memories: Alternate Realities. It plays out exactly like Silent Hill 2 and has the same voice actors.

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    3 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Thumbs Up
    Silent Hill 1-4 are the only best four games, even if some disagree about 4 since it wasn't really intended to be a Silent Hill game, but they had a consistent and hauntingly creepy tone and atmosphere throughout.

Silent Hill: Homecoming, Origins, Shattered Memories, Book of Memories and Downpour were all D-list games (D for Disposable). Silent Hill: Homecoming ripped off other movies and had impossible combat and shitty controls with a shitty story with Pyramidhead, Origins ruins the Silent Hill mystery and horror that made Silent Hill scary, Shattered Memories (how ironic of a title) tried to do something that "Outlast" did SOOO much better and it had bland monsters and weak atmosphere, Book of Memories was just a spin-off RPG with a hint of Diablo that well I don't really give that much of a shit about and apparently neither did most people and Downpour could have revitalized the franchise but it had too many problems with its gameplay, its monster designs were lame, the atmosphere kind of came and went and the story was eh?

Silent Hills would have definitely changed everything, had Konami not fucked it up and shit itself.

GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 262
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID ScaryGames101
    Well, I don't care too much about the films that are based on the Silent Hill games, as we all know that movies based on games heavily milk the franchises on which they are based. But I'm gutted that the proposed Silent Hills (with an extra 'S' for a reason) was cancelled. Norman Reedus (who plays Daryl in The Walking Dead series) was going to include his likeness and voice, then it was abruptly cancelled. God, that P.T. demo for it looked quite hot too, so it's really too bad that Konami aren't bothered about it any more, as they stopped making games, apparently.

The series started to slip a bit after 4: The Room. Homecoming actually had a decent story, but my interest was slain once the control system started to become rather dull and awkward. Downpour was so-so. It was nothing to write home about, though. Shattered Memories was just somebody's idea of a joke, and Book of Memories doesn't actually belong in the chronological history of the saga at all.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast