My Mood
    Angry
    Add Oxley on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 2
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag General 0x
    Is this even happening? I'm surprised it's taken so long.

I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it. I just think it could have been done a lot better. I've been thinking about giving it a re-watch but I just lack the motivation.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it."
    -- Mark Twain

KillKaylaDead: Even your body looks like it was hand crafted by the gods.

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 433
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxley View Post
    I just think it could have been done a lot better.
    The original plan was for it to have been done all continuous, without any noticeable breaks in the edit, like The Silent House. This was how it was originally going to be made but when Raimi's company optioned the script from Brian and him to direct they wouldn't go for it because they didn't believe it could be done. That's the problem with Hollywood, they have to see someone else do it first.

Kinda disappointing because Brian's movie offered a much cooler application of the no-cuts, "realtime" schtick than TSH did, either version, because we were going to do it as written, with flashbacks, location and time changes and all and never break the continuous feel.

This is part of the reason I get annoyed when folks call it a movie based on Ils because we were talking about doing it this way years before The Silent House and nearly a year before Ils came out in Europe.

Zombiefied Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-30-2013

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    I'd see a sequel, but really at this point I don't see it happening. The first did have some really good tension and atmosphere, though.

Hey Sweden!
    Drake, we are LEAVING!

Status
    Last Online
    02-06-2014

Member #
    Kansas City, Missouri and Shanghai, China
    Threads
    Add lostforever on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Yeah, I really don't think it's happening. They get Scary Movie 5 made but not this.

Rotting Zealot
    "I do not see why man
    should not be just as cruel as
    nature." - Adolf Hitler

Status
    Last Online
    06-16-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Angry
    Add Oxley on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag General 0x
    Quote Originally Posted by BurnetRhoades View Post
    The original plan was for it to have been done all continuous, without any noticeable breaks in the edit, like The Silent House. This was how it was originally going to be made but when Raimi's company optioned the script from Brian and him to direct they wouldn't go for it because they didn't believe it could be done. That's the problem with Hollywood, they have to see someone else do it first.

Kinda disappointing because Brian's movie offered a much cooler application of the no-cuts, "realtime" schtick than TSH did, either version, because we were going to do it as written, with flashbacks, location and time changes and all and never break the continuous feel.

This is part of the reason I get annoyed when folks call it a movie based on Ils because we were talking about doing it this way years before The Silent House and nearly a year before Ils came out in Europe.
    Would have been interesting had they had no cuts, would have completely changed the atmosphere of the film. Shame really.

"Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody. If, he can help it."
    -- Mark Twain

Yup
    Nuthin' To Say

Status
    Last Online
    2 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Macready On Twitter Add Macready on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 210
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID CuttyCantHang
    One of the few, more recent horror movies I have truly enjoyed. Not sure how a sequel would work and I am all for it as long as it is not a simple retread.

The tranquility of night hides many malevolent things taking place under a stunning, mysterious sky pocked with precious gems of light. -GP

Published writer in Fantastic Horror, Volumes 1,2, and 5. Currently working on my first two novels!

Rotting Zealot
    blowin' heads up

Status
    Last Online
    08-30-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 433
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxley View Post
    Would have been interesting had they had no cuts, would have completely changed the atmosphere of the film. Shame really.
    Yeah, before Brian's script got the attention as a Nicholl finalist the realtime aspect was how we were planning on the film generating buzz without any stars, as an independent. Laboring in post production and loading actors with tons of rehearsal and really long takes was a lot more appealing than extended fundraising.

I had this really boring argument with someone over on the BD forums a while back talking about this plan and they just wouldn't accept that, flashbacks and all, we were doing it continuous. I think he'd read the script and it was just making his head explode.

That I'm aware, Brian never wrote the script itself as anything but conventionally structured. Elaborate screen action and post production notes would have actually hurt his chances of any conventional script reader even finishing it. Studio script readers are entry level meat shields between writers and studio folk who's time is actually valuable.

Your script will get summarily tossed in the trash if you use a font that doesn't look like a standard typewriter, if you don't use the standard three-hole-punch paper or if you use three and not two brads to hold it together. Any excuse to chuck it in the trash before they get to page ten and then decide if they want to skip through to the back to see how it ends. An unknown writer with no agent...their prospects for making it or ever getting an actual shot are kinda like the odds of a man being rescued off a deserted island equipped with a palette of paper and empty bottles.

When it got picked up and they agreed to let him direct there was no way he was going to fight to make it the way he really wanted.

Zombiefied Zealot
    Majestic ruler of scavengers

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 72
    First one was good. I would like to see a #2 without the big names.

Rotting Zealot
    "I do not see why man
    should not be just as cruel as
    nature." - Adolf Hitler

Status
    Last Online
    06-16-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Angry
    Add Oxley on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag General 0x
    Quote Originally Posted by BurnetRhoades View Post
    Yeah, before Brian's script got the attention as a Nicholl finalist the realtime aspect was how we were planning on the film generating buzz without any stars, as an independent. Laboring in post production and loading actors with tons of rehearsal and really long takes was a lot more appealing than extended fundraising.

I had this really boring argument with someone over on the BD forums a while back talking about this plan and they just wouldn't accept that, flashbacks and all, we were doing it continuous. I think he'd read the script and it was just making his head explode.

That I'm aware, Brian never wrote the script itself as anything but conventionally structured. Elaborate screen action and post production notes would have actually hurt his chances of any conventional script reader even finishing it. Studio script readers are entry level meat shields between writers and studio folk who's time is actually valuable.

Your script will get summarily tossed in the trash if you use a font that doesn't look like a standard typewriter, if you don't use the standard three-hole-punch paper or if you use three and not two brads to hold it together. Any excuse to chuck it in the trash before they get to page ten and then decide if they want to skip through to the back to see how it ends. An unknown writer with no agent...their prospects for making it or ever getting an actual shot are kinda like the odds of a man being rescued off a deserted island equipped with a palette of paper and empty bottles.

When it got picked up and they agreed to let him direct there was no way he was going to fight to make it the way he really wanted.
    Such a shame the industry is too scared to try new things, or people for that manner. Its good Robert Englund and Lance Henriksen(sp?) do all these low B movies for very little, or in some cases zero money, they know it'll get watched with them in it and they want new talent to be seen.

Would have made for a far more interesting film had they done it as planned. Hopefully a sequel will get that approach. Doubtful though.

-- Mark Twain

Psycho Killer
    Lurking in the Dark

Status
    Last Online
    3 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow Toby On Twitter Add Toby on Facebook
    Visit Toby's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 458
    Bryan Bertino’s 2008 home invasion thriller The Strangers was a successful debut for the director, and it seemed tailor-made for an immediate sequel. Though it hasn’t happened yet, despite several small starts, The Wrap reports Relativity is moving forward with The Strangers 2 with a new director and screenwriter. Marcel Langenegger, who directed 2008’s sexed-up thriller Deception with Ewan McGregor and Hugh Jackman, will take the helm. He’ll work from a script by Ben Katai, best known for writing and directing the 30 Days of Night sequel, as well as the non-horror Crackle series Chosen, which stars Milo Ventimiglia as a man who gets tasked with killing someone. Interesting choices.

The Strangers 2, which originally had Bertino as writer, will center on a family taking a trip to a trailer park that a relative owns, with the troublesome teenage daughter soon going away to boarding school. Only when they arrive, the man and his wife are found dead at the hands of Dollface, Pin-Up Girl and Man in the Mask, and the family then spends the rest of the night trying to survive the masked attackers. Will The Strangers 2 one day make itself familiar to everyone, or will this be another failed beginning?
    http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Fear-...ack-69379.html

"It's a Freak Show! A Freak Show! See the strange and bizarre! Step right up, we'd love to see you! We think YOU can be the STAR! Hahahaha! Oooh! Hahahahaha! Ooohh! Hahahaha!"-Umlaut (CarnEvil)
    GORY PUMPKIN WEBSITE

"Ignorance must die if creation is to survive.."-Dillon Mason (Hacksaw: Documentary of a Psycho Killer)

Zombiefied Zealot

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up

Deadbeat posting at dawn
    病気の

Status
    Last Online
    18 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Add woodenheart on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 167

Dislike first one.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The Architect
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Follow FrighT MasteR On Twitter Add FrighT MasteR on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 879
    Given: 134
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID frightie Steam ID frightie
    Finally caught this. Movie was okay, but it wasn't worth the 10-year wait we had for it. Definitely nowhere near as good as the first.

Fresh Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-07-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Not to bump an old thread but The Strangers Prey at Night was fantastic. Also my gfs name is Tamara Hoyt.

Zombiefied Zealot

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Macdaddysquid View Post
    Not to bump an old thread but The Strangers Prey at Night was fantastic. Also my gfs name is Tamara Hoyt.
    I wouldn't call it fantastic, but it was decent. Pretty typical sequel to a really good first film.

diz mutha F'er got BANNED!!!
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    11-13-2018

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    I recently saw the sequel, and I thought it had a far better human dynamic than the original. The parents were written very well, and I thought how they were depicted induced many important themes and metaphors about the divide between adulthood and adolescence.

Zombiefied Zealot
    "You should give in,you
    should surrender to that
    feeling you had the first time
    you ever looked into his
    eyes" - Corey Cunningham.

Status
    Last Online
    3 Days Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Goofy
    Follow DarkSuperman On Twitter Add DarkSuperman on Facebook
    Visit DarkSuperman's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 44
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID DarkSuperman87
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomasmariel View Post
    I recently saw the sequel, and I thought it had a far better human dynamic than the original. The parents were written very well, and I thought how they were depicted induced many important themes and metaphors about the divide between adulthood and adolescence.
    Yeah, it wasn't a bad flick at all.

Dr. Sam Loomis: I prayed that he would burn in hell. But in my heart, I knew that hell would not have him.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234