Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Del Toro Does Monster Mash

Frankenstein and Jekyll and Hyde on his slate.
    by Chris Tilly, IGN UK

UK, September 4, 2008 - Guillermo del Toro has announced a filmmaking slate that will keep him busy for the best part of a decade -- and monsters play a big part in those plans.

The Mexican helmer has made a long-term commitment to Universal that will see him direct screen versions of horror classics Frankenstein and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde when he has finished work on his two Hobbit pics.

He has also agreed to shoot a film version of Kurt Vonnegut's WWII novel Slaughterhouse-Five and an adaptation of Dan Simmons' Drood, a gothic horror about the possibility that author Charles Dickens led a dark double life.

According to Variety, his take on Frankenstein will pose the question: "Why did my creator throw me here, unprotected, unguided, unaided and lost?" His Jekyll and Hyde, on the other hand, will explore the addictive highs the repressed Jekyll experiences as his murderous alter ego.

And del Toro hopes that his version of Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five will be more faithful to the book than George Roy Hills's 1972 screen version, explaining, "There are ways that Vonnegut plays with and juxtaposes time that was perhaps too edgy to be tackled on film at that time."

To re-enforce their faith in his creative abilities, Universal are lending support to the director's long-gestating adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness, while they will also oversee Crimson Peak (a gothic romance) and Hater (an apocalyptic story of social breakdown) both of which del Toro will produce.

Where that leaves Hellboy III remains to be seen, with del Toro claiming it could turn in to something of a geriatric shoot. "I think they'll decide when the last Euro hits the piggbank," he explained. "We laid the groundwork to have a magnificent third act. I'd like to return to an action franchise with 60-year-old actor Ron Perlman because he'll be scratching at that age when I get to it."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

"I'll make him an offer he can't refuse" -Michael Corleone

Average Joe
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    03-31-2022

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    This is fantastic news. I would LOVE to see a new adaptation of Frankenstein even more so Jekyll & Hyde that's long over due of a fresh take.

Last edited by Doc Awesome; 09-04-2008 at 07:57 PM.

Rotting Zealot
    MidnightMovieGuy

Status
    Last Online
    06-18-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Busy
    Follow BooBerry On Twitter Add BooBerry on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Sounds good.

Last Flick Seen: WolfCop - 5/10 The Quiet Ones - 2/10 Starry Eyes - 6/10
    Midnight Movie Gay - http://midnightmoviegay.wordpress.com
    Instagram: MidnightMovieGay

Valhalla, I am coming
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    10-22-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 2
    When I read the title, I thought it was about Benico Del Toro wanting to do movies like Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman, where the big monsters fought each other.

Last edited by cmurdur; 09-05-2008 at 05:05 PM.

+ Reply to Thread