Last Online
    02-21-2024

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 4

Review: Prom Night (1980)

You know when I was a kid, movies like this used to be so good, for one reason or another. So I decided to rent this at a local video store and when I watched it, I became tired of it. But the sad part about it is that this is in fact better than the "08" version.

This story focuses on a group of kids who mistakenly kill a girl by teasing and she ends up falling out of the window. The kids swear not to tell anyone and go on about their seperate ways. Some years later the kids are going to their senior prom and they all start to get these mysterious phone call from some stranger. They all think nothing of it until on Prom night the killer takes them all down one by one.

So that is your basic premise, which opened a lot of idea's to movies nowadays (I know what you did last summer). I had to cut a little slack on this movie, because if it was in today's times, this would really suck, but it was made back in the 80's where things like this was interesting.

There isn't much for gore and the suspense is decent. The character's are your basic set if people, the good girl, the brave heroine, the jock, the jackass, the bitch, etc., which are your basic seat of characters for a 80's slasher.

So after seeing it I felt that an 5 would be best for this flick, because I felt that it was way too slow to have nothing going on until the hour and five minute, if not longer, mark. And the lack of gore didn't make it any better. Check this out at your own risk.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Call me STRT or Street
    If someone asks if you are a
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 727
    Given: 363
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...
    I reviewed this once back when i did reviews for a site I made:

It's 1980 and it's prom time, so you probably know what to expect...crappy music, dumb outfits, and 30 year olds playing teenagers. This movie really plays like an after-school-special. I was waiting for the whole cast to get together at the end and give me the moral of the story. So other than being so early in the 1980's slasher genre this movie really offered nothing you couldn't get anywhere else better. The plot was lame, acting worse, and the cinematography was so poor in certain shots you couldnt really tell what was going on. The horror part of the movie doesnt start till about 3/4 of the way through the movie.

That's not to say that all is bad though. Some of the characters are a riot. The big goon "Lou" with the best example of a Unibrow that comes to recent memory is the real star of the movie. His antics keep you laughing the whole time. Lou's cronies (in full Tuxedo T-shirts) can be seen swilling Jim Beam as he picks his date up in his junker. Makes me wish I was that badass in high school...Lets not forget the short chubby curly haired goober named "Slick" I don't even really know where to begin with this guy he must be seen to be believed. He's like a 5' 2" Shelly from Friday the 13th Part 3.

One thing that breaks up the lameness of the entire first 3/4 of the movie is the presence of non other than Leslie Nielson!! That's right Sgt. Frank Drebin runs this herpes factory of a high school. I could have used more of him but any scene with Leslie is pure gold. Oh Jamie Lee Curtis is the heroin I guess after coming off solid performances in Halloween and the Fog she falls flat on her face in this.

"She looks like she's 35," my roomate was quoted as saying before he walked out of the room. Turns out Ms. Curtis is 22 when this was made...

The worst part of the movie comes when it is time for the 5 minute dance number between Jamie and her beau...disco style!!! There's nothing more pathetic than a movie from the 80's grasping to the last thread of disco and refusing to let it die. Oh, I should also mention the "song" they dance to is is the theme for the movie entitled "Prom Night" nothing like dancing to a song about your prom at your prom...I couldn't wait for this scene to end.

Bottom line is if you are looking for an early 80's slasher that gives you the goods you should look elsewhere. If you are looking for a movie to point and laugh at with some friends and some drinks you have found the one.

GORE:
    The gore is non-existant until a nice beheading and the obligatory scene where a character comes across the killers victims. This gore gets a
    3/10

BOOBAGE:
    A quick nipple shot during a heavy makeout session and a few butt shots (female buttshots that is). I could have used some more nudity but I'll take what I can get.
    3/10

SCORE :

4/10, the movie is watchable and enjoyable but only to laugh at.

All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

Fresh Zealot
    I am high.

Status
    Last Online
    11-19-2019

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 10
    A five is about right, although a 4 rating is also cool.
    Never did get why this was so hyped, boring flick.

Steelbaz Youtube Channel

Nosferatu = UHM's Snitch

Call me STRT or Street
    If someone asks if you are a
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 727
    Given: 363
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...
    Part 2 is much better IMO

All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

Fresh Zealot
    I am high.

Status
    Last Online
    11-19-2019

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    I just couldn't bring myself to rent any of those movies as a kid.
    i rented 100's or 1000's of horror movies but I avoided those

Steelbaz Youtube Channel

Nosferatu = UHM's Snitch

The devil made me do it
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    01-03-2010

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    That flick was boring but the remake was just as bad if not worse

Boy, the next word that comes out of your mouth better be some brilliant fuckin Mark Twain shit.
    Cause its definitely gettin chiseled on your tombstone. ~Otis B. Driftwood~

burn in my light
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-14-2010

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    yeah i pretty much hated this movie for some reason i never got into caring about this movie at all even though i liked Jamie Lee Curtis this movie was just to boring.

lit by a fire
    burned by the flame

skybrick
    This user has no status.

I really liked the first but I dont recall the sequels. Ill have to check up on those sometime.

This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Still havent seen this.

I bought a documentary on alot of 80s slashers from 06 maybe could be wrong. This one was shown a couple of times.

Jamie Lee was good in Halloween but alot of these others movies she was in around that time look a big step below Halloween so I'll get around to this movie at one point or another.

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    05-16-2009

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    This was a below average slasher for sure, if it didnt have Jamie Lee Curtis it probably wouldnt be as memorable. I havent seen a good copy in my life though, so maybe there exists a clean directors cut of the film somewhere that none of us have seen thats awesome? I hate the sequel: Prom Nightmare on Elm Street

+ Reply to Thread