Received: 0
    Given: 0

Mirrors (Review)

Mirrors

DIRECTOR: Alexander Aja
    CAST: Kiefer Sutherland, Paula Patton, Amy Smart
    RELEASE YEAR: 2008

(Possible Spoilers!)

This is from the same director that brought us High Tension (aka Haute Tension) and The Hills Have Eyes Remake. Not only did he direct it but also co-wrote (along with the afore mentioned movies) with his partner Gregory Levasseur. Aja doesn’t waste any time either putting you smack dab in the movie. Right off the bat not even 5 minutes into the movie Aja treats you to a nice throat slicing to pull you into what is hopefully a great movie.

Keifer Sutherland plays a former NYPD detective named Ben Carson who was just a mess of a man prior to these events. He was a drunk, shot and killed a man, then was suspended by the police force for killing the man, and lost his wife (Played by the very beautiful Paula Patton) and kids. Fast forward a couple of months and now he’s sober, living at his sister Angela’s house (Played by Amy Smart), looking to get reinstated into the force, hoping to get his wife and kids back, and has decided to take a security job at an old burned out and dilapidated department store.

It’s in this department store where strange things begin to happen stemming from the mirrors. It doesn’t just take place in the department store either. It’s able to find you anywhere a reflection can be found, even in water. Throughout the entire movie the mirrors are mind raping you and the characters, trying to get you to figure out what’s real and what’s not. Once things begin to freak Ben out a bit, his detective instincts take over and of course instead of finding a safe job at your local Target or something and running away he begins to do some investigating (because that always works out good).

I thought at the beginning that this was just going to be the same song and dance. He’s looking at something that’s odd and has caught his eye and then BAM! A bird flies by. He’s walking down a dark and scary path with a flashlight and of course the batteries start to die and the light fades. You know the same tired tricks. Throughout the entire movie I’m watching and thinking yeah, yeah, yeah I’ve seen all this before. The ending is just going to lead me to some dead girl in the building trapped behind a wall where the main mirror is hanging. Well I’ll tell it doesn’t turn out to be that. They actually are able to go someplace different and are able to save the movie from being a disaster, but unfortunately it only comes at the end of the movie. The movie is pretty clichéd until the ending. So if you can make it through, and you should it’s not bad just nothing new, then the ending is a pretty good payoff.

There isn’t really any blood or gore. There are only 2 or 3 deaths in the entire movie and while they are good deaths and you’ll love them you’ll find yourself wanting more, especially from a guy like Alexandre Aja. There isn’t any nudity other than a nice ass shot from Amy Smart and some side boob. It’s the kind of movie you would watch if you just want something not too intense or thought provoking. I would find it as a good lazy day movie.

Doctor’s Diagnosis:
    The movie has a really fantastic ending but the movie before that is just a been there done that story. I wouldn’t give this a total miss it’s worth at least one watch and so with that I’ll issue a Prescription (Watch if bored or need something new to watch):

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

UHM's Horror DVD Informant
    UHM's Biggest Fuck Up.

Status
    Last Online
    03-02-2022

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Follow xxsic4slipknotxx On Twitter Add xxsic4slipknotxx on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 3
    I though it was a pretty good movie. No way near the original story, but I like how Aja molded it into his own. Just goes to prove that not all remakes are totally bad (if the right director helms the project), even though I don't support the remake craze were currently suffering through.

"In Heaven, Everything is Fine" ~ Eraserhead

~ Let The Right One In (Låt den rätte komma in)

My Collection!

Be My Netflix Friend:
    http://www.netflix.com/BeMyFriend/P9vLvHRtq4eIQLWoXbtg

UHM's #1 Killer
    Half of life is fucking up,
    the other half is dealing with
    it.

Status
    Last Online
    11-25-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Movie title in the heading

"(Insanity) is not hubris, not pride; it is inflation of the ego to its ultimate - confusion between him who worships and that which is worshiped.
    Man has not eaten God; God has eaten man." Philip K. Dick The Man in the High Castle (1962)

Chief of UHM
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-22-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    I hate I missed this in theaters. Gonna have to rent it. I'm a big Sutherland fan so I can't wait to see it.

Fresh Zealot
    I am high.

Status
    Last Online
    11-19-2019

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 10
    I caught 1 spoiler right off the back, still wanna see this, so i'm gonna have to skip this review.

Steelbaz Youtube Channel

Nosferatu = UHM's Snitch

+ Reply to Thread