Last Online
    08-03-2011

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quarantine vs. [Rec]

Now that I have seen both films, I wanted to open a discussion about comparing the two films.

First off, I want to say a few things:
    1. Quarantine is a remake, deal with it. Don't let that fact taint your view of a film.
    2. The copy I have of [Rec] is a bootleg with often incorrectly translated subtitles, but it is a very high quality bootleg and I do understand Spanish (albeit my vocabulary is super weak).
    3. I saw Rec on my computer, and Quarantine in a theater, so the difference in the experience may attribute to my feelings about the films.
    4. I genuinely like both films a great deal.
    5. SPOILERS THROUGHOUT POST!

On to the comparison....

Sets:
    Sets from both films are eerie, interesting, and are practically identical. So no really noticeable difference here.

CHARACTERS:
    First major thing: Pablo is the cameraman in Rec, but if I am correct, we never see him. In Quarantine, Scott is the cameraman and we are treated to seeing him partially multiple times. In both films, the relationship between Angela and Pablo/Scott is established very well. So what I am trying to say is that Quarantine doesn't sour the relationship by having Scott in frame for a while. In fact, it adds a bit more depth to their relationship.

Second thing: Angela is likable in both films. In Rec though, she has a bitchier, more career-oriented attitude. Jennifer Carpenter's Angela (from Quarantine) is younger, less seasoned, and generally nicer. But both ladies are good leads. Q's Angela seems to feel the impact of the situation more, with some nice scenes showing her mental breakdown. Neither portrayal is better than the other, they are just two slightly different Angela's.

Third: The two main firefighters (Manu y Alex in Rec, Jake and Fletcher in Quarantine) are quite different between the two films. In Rec, we are introduced to them, and are supposed to like them, but the film really doesn't develop them that much. Quarantine gives more exposition at the beginning at the fire station, and therefore ends up making Jake more integral and interesting that Manu was.

Fourth: The tenants differ, but who cares....they are all gonna die anyway! We do get more time with some of the tenants in Quarantine however.

ACTING:
    Both films feature good, if relatively unknown casts (for Quarantine anyway, can't say I'm really up on my Spanish Celebrities). I love Manuela Velasco as Angela in Rec, and she pretty much carried the movie. She was fabulous regardless. The other actors in Rec didnt get much screen, but they were all highly believable. In Quarantine, Jennifer Carpenter truly impressed me with her hysterics and her emotion, as well as her everyday Reporterness in the beginning. I love her in Dexter, and was so glad to see her act her ass off. Though I keep reading that she overacts with her hysterics in this movie, I can't help but wonder why people think crazy hysterics are not warranted for a situation in which you are pretty much guaranteed to die and you are being stalked by flesh-hungry creatures. Jay Hernandez plays Jake in Quarantine and I actually didnt mind him. I believe he was in Hostel and I was not a fan of him there. Scott, the cameraman played by Steve Harris, also impressed me. Where have I seen him before? He was perfect. Poor guy just about broke down when he bludgeoned that ho to death with his camera. A very nice moment there, along with the FANTASTIC scene where Angela cries as Jake and Scott strangle the female creature towards the end. Both filmsreally excel in the area of acting, with Quarantine's Angela taking a more hysteric, yet still endearing road.

STORY:
    From point to point, there is not much differentiation between the two films but there are a few things: added scenes and dialogue at the firestation in Q, more creature set-pieces in Q, a tv watching scene with a good scare, and the nice addition of the dog/elevator scenes. A big change is the origin of the infection, which is truly up to your interpretation and liking. Which one is better is something you must decide for yourself. I think I may be leaning towards Rec on that one. When viewing Quarantine though, keep a lookout for the extra scenes that really do add a whole new level of depth to the characters. One of my favorite scenes that was added to the story was the aforementioned strangling scene (that was also blocked and framed superbly).

DIRECTING:
    Fabulous in both. But a very subjective area...it's truly up to your liking. I will say there are some very effective scenes in both, and I really love some of the added visual touches and scenes in Quarantine. But one area where Q is weak is that it never achieves the gritty feel that [Rec] has. Q is a bit too shiny. Overall though, the visual aesthetic of both films is quite pleasing.

SCARES:
    Quite subjective again, but both films exceed when compared to the drivel us horror fans are usually subjected to. I will say that having seen Rec first may have dampened the fright I might have experienced during most of Q, but the same can be said for the reverse scenario. Though you should still check out Q for the new scares and set-pieces we are given. Damn rabid dogs. Another complaint with Q I have is that while the ending is almost the same, the final creature didnt resonate as well as the Medeiros girl in Rec. But I will say that the final ten minutes had my heart pounding in Q. That's literal heart-pounding; I could actually hear it in the theare.

SCORE:
    Relatively non-existent in both films, but silence is used to great effect in both especially near the end! Love it.

GORE:
    Neither movie is tame, but Q definitely amps it up a level. That broken leg had my ass cringing, and how about the drill to the head? I thought going to the dentist was bad. Damn. FX in both films are excellent, with Q spilling much more blood.

OVERALL:
    I loved both films, was scared by both films, and truly enjoyed both experiences over all. All in all, I'm just glad to feel refreshed by these horror films. I'm so tired of the stagnant pool of horror shit that gets released around here. And an added bonus, Jessica Alba isnt in this remake! That earns Q some points at least.

Now the big question:

Which films is better?

To me, I love them both, and feel that each film has things about it that are stronger than the other, and each has points that are weaker than the other film. But if I must choose, Rec wins solely because it was Q's progentitor, and it felt grittier, and more real. But I can say that even though I like Rec more, I will pretty get more rewatches out of Quarantine.

Take this all with a grain of salt, being that opinions differ greatly, and I love both films so my opinion is tainted.

Now let's get on to the debating.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

"Suzy, do you know anything about witches?"

The devil made me do it
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    01-03-2010

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    I rated [Rec] .5 point higher based on the origin of the infection and the ending was a little bit more frightening. Other than that both movies were almost identical scene for scene with just minor changes. Both Angelas were very good but I give Jennifer Carpenter the nod. I thought her descent into fear was believable and genuinely scary for horror performances nowadays.

Boy, the next word that comes out of your mouth better be some brilliant fuckin Mark Twain shit.
    Cause its definitely gettin chiseled on your tombstone. ~Otis B. Driftwood~

UHM's Horror DVD Informant
    UHM's Biggest Fuck Up.

Status
    Last Online
    03-02-2022

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Follow xxsic4slipknotxx On Twitter Add xxsic4slipknotxx on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 3
    I like [Rec] more than Quarantine. As far as differences go between the films, there wasn't much difference. They were basically the same with only few minor changes in Quarantine.

In [Rec], nobody could really explain or pin-point what was causing the illness, which made the movie a lot scarier IMO. In Quarantine, they seemed to have narrowed that part down (which I thought was just laughable when it was revealed).

Character development was more prominent in [Rec] as far as knowing a little more about the tenants of the apartment complex and their feelings/reactions about what happened. Quarantine mainly skipped over that part or only supplied us with very little facts. This made me not care who succumbed to the infection.

Then there's the ending. The director of Quarantine had supposedly claimed (from what I've been hearing anyway) that this film would have a different ending. Well, I don't know what they changed. All I saw was the same ending in [Rec].

Overall, I felt [Rec] was the better film.

"In Heaven, Everything is Fine" ~ Eraserhead

~ Let The Right One In (Låt den rätte komma in)

My Collection!

Be My Netflix Friend:
    http://www.netflix.com/BeMyFriend/P9vLvHRtq4eIQLWoXbtg

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-03-2011

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by xxsic4slipknotxx View Post
    Then there's the ending. The director of Quarantine had supposedly claimed (from what I've been hearing anyway) that this film would have a different ending. Well, I don't know what they changed. All I saw was the same ending in [Rec]..
    You know, I read the same thing, but couldn't find any actual quotes or places that proves he really said that. He probably said something about how the explanation of the infection and the ending story was changed, and that just got turned into "something completely different is supposed to happen!"

I find it hard to believe that he would say that knowing that people just might actually go and see this movie.

UHM's Horror DVD Informant
    UHM's Biggest Fuck Up.

Status
    Last Online
    03-02-2022

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Follow xxsic4slipknotxx On Twitter Add xxsic4slipknotxx on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 3
    Quote Originally Posted by RampantChaos View Post
    You know, I read the same thing, but couldn't find any actual quotes or places that proves he really said that. He probably said something about how the explanation of the infection and the ending story was changed, and that just got turned into "something completely different is supposed to happen!"

I find it hard to believe that he would say that knowing that people just might actually go and see this movie.
    Just spreading what I've been hearing (that's what FrighT heard anyway). Either way, the [Rec] ending is better.

Last edited by xxsic4slipknotxx; 10-15-2008 at 09:37 AM.

"In Heaven, Everything is Fine" ~ Eraserhead

~ Let The Right One In (Låt den rätte komma in)

My Collection!

Be My Netflix Friend:
    http://www.netflix.com/BeMyFriend/P9vLvHRtq4eIQLWoXbtg

Citizen Erased
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-14-2013

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    I loved both films.
    REC was scarier.
    I liked the characters in Quarantine better.
    REC
    8/10
    Quarantine
    7/10

For one moment, I wish you would hold your stage with no feeling at all...
    -Matthew Bellamy

Diz mutha F'er got banned!
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    11-10-2009

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    While I haven't seen Quarantine (and I never will) I actually don't need to, to know that [.Rec] is the better movie.

Swallow This
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    07-07-2011

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    I disagree that "Quarantine's" Angela was still endearing. She was so loud and screamy and whiny at the end that I wanted to kill her myself, and I love Jennifer Carpenter. I know it's a scary situation, but in [REC] Angela was much better at holding it together and being terrified without being shrill. "Quarantine's" Angela was screaming loud enough to wake dead deaf people. It really bugged me. Until she turned into Screamy McShrew I liked her, but still think [REC]'s Angela is hotter.

I liked the cameraman (Scott) in "Quarantine" better than Pablo. He was cool and trying to calm Angela down and reassure her made him a lot more likable.

The ending twist was handled about a million times better in [REC] than it was in "Quarantine." I wanted to throw a brick at the screen when I saw the final twist in "Quarantine."

I like how "Quarantine" has a much stronger message that the government is evil.

Examples: (Spoilers, highlight to read)

Lying and saying the building was evacuated, shooting people who try to escape, lying and saying they're drawing blood when really they're using drills to biopsy people's brains.

All in all I preferred [REC] to "Quarantine" but the remake isn't half bad on its own.

They're coming to get you, Barbara...

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    08-03-2011

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodrunsbitter View Post
    I like how "Quarantine" has a much stronger message that the government is evil.
    I'm so glad you said that. That observation was something I meant to put into my original post, but forgot about it.

Another observation I left out is how much more humor there is in Quarantine. the beginning had some truly funny parts. I am just glad they didn't overdue the humor. It felt realistic, and not like comic relief.

Why not?
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-28-2009

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    I just watched [Rec] again (I NEVER watch a movie again within that short of time) and it is unbelievable. The ending still gave me chills.

Rotting Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    10-28-2009

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    I gotta check these

Fresh Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    07-04-2009

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    I havent watched Quarantine yet as it's not out here in the UK but I saw [Rec] when it made it's UK priemere at Fright Fest in February. I loved [Rec] cause I knew very little about it. Now I've watched [Rec] theres no way Quarantine will have the same affect on me but I'll still hive it a try. It annoys me however how many spoilers there are in the trailer!

For the most I think people will enjoy the one they see first the most...

"When theres no more room in hell the dead will walk the earth..."
    www.roughcutreviews.com/

+ Reply to Thread