Status
    Last Online
    05-27-2020

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Why are so many sequels being made? Here's why.

Last night I was thinking about how it's amazing that in five years, there have been five "Saw" films made. That led to me thinking about why so many horror movies - usually to the dismay of "hardcore" horror fans - have sequel after sequel (after sequel after sequel) made.

Well, like most of you expected, it's because they keep making money. The more we buy tickets (and the more money the studios make) the more films there are to be made.

While that seems obvious, what many people just might not realize is how incredibly profitable many of these horror franchises have become. In many cases, money grossed in comparison to money invested for these franchises really rivals the returns on some of Hollywood's biggest "blockbuster" films.

In other words, it seems that it's much harder to gamble and make a movie like The Dark Knight and have a huge return than it is to milk a horror franchise, like "Saw," that has a much smaller production budget and make an even larger return.

I did a little number crunching, and this is what I found out about the "Saw" films:

"Saw"
    Budget: $1,200,000
    Gross: $55,153,403

"Saw 2"
    Budget: $4,000,000
    Gross: $87,025093

"Saw 3"
    Budget: $10,000,000
    Gross: $80,150,343

"Saw 4"
    Budget: $10,000,000
    Gross: $63,270,259

"Saw 5"
    Budget: $10,800,000
    Gross: $40,000,000 (to date)

Total budgeting: $36,000,000
    Total grosses: $325,599,098
    Profit is just over being 800% of the initial investment.

That means, the franchise has made over eight times the money in ticket sales as it spent on production budgets. As of today, the franchise is running at better than an 800% profit.

To break it down a little more, that means the franchise has netted $289,599,098.

Now, the reason why I bring this up is only 34 "blockbuster" movies have ever had better gross returns on their budgets as the "Saw" series has netted as a franchise.

What's even more amazing is the actual "percentage" return for the "Saw" franchise in comparison to some of the individual "blockbuster" releases over the last few years. For example:

"The Dark Knight"
    Budget: $185,000,000
    Gross: $527,822,235
    Profit was just under being 200% of the initial investment.

"Titanic"
    Budget: $200,000,000
    Gross: $600,779,824
    Profit was just over being 200% of the initial investment.

So what does this all mean? Well, if you own a studio and you're looking to make a ton of money, you'd be better off taking a small chance on a low-budget horror film with an interesting story than you would rolling the dice (big time) by casting Hollywood's biggest stars in a blockbuster that'll cost you hundreds of millions of dollars.

It also means that if you want sequels to stop, you have to stop buying tickets. Otherwise, all you're doing is enticing studios by granting them huge profits on tiny investments. You're telling them that you're still going to buy a ticket to see their low-budget cash cow.

The next time you find yourself frustrated that one of your favorite characters or movies is being sucked dry, consider why it's happening. Instead of asking, "ANOTHER sequel?", only to see the movie anyways, consider sitting the movie out. If enough people do, there won't be another, and perhaps we can start saving some of these original films before they're bundled in with their terrible sequels.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by H78; 11-04-2008 at 02:50 PM.
    FrighT MasteR : in all seriousness, i really do think he's a little slow in the head

Fresh Zealot
    I am high.

Status
    Last Online
    11-19-2019

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 10
    TDK was a sequels so add that to the sequels list, so were the Road Warrior, Aliens and Terminator 2. But you are only picking on 1 franchise now aren't you.

Saw is the only series that is having numerous sequels that make a theatrical run. Everyone knows they are dirt cheap to make and generate millions in profit, the same as F13th did in the 80's. That is not a news flash or anything previously unknown.

Next it's a complete waste to try and control peoples freedom of choice in theater viewing. The people who don't like sequels wont go and see them, the ones that do will, that's it, that's all.

Furthermore i'd rather watch Saw 3 than Titanic and most big budget Hollywood productions suck. Yeah that Oceans 13 was so awesome, it was way better than the micro budgeted Halloween or similarly small budgeted The Thing. Whatever would we do if we didn't have epic big budget productions like Waterworld and the Postman

Steelbaz Youtube Channel

Nosferatu = UHM's Snitch

Assistant Webmaster
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    05-27-2020

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by steelba View Post
    TDK was a sequels so add that to the sequels list, so were the Road Warrior, Aliens and Terminator 2. But you are only picking on 1 franchise now aren't you.
    You didn't get my point. The reason I chose TDK and Titanic is because they are recent examples of top-grossing "blockbusters."

My point is, as a franchise, "Saw," has made a ton more (when comparing investment to return) on its initial investment than movies like TDK did. That's fine - I'm not saying anything is wrong with that. I was pointing out just how profitable the series is compared to big-time blockbuster movies.

When comparing in that sense, it doesn't matter if you're comparing one film to fifty, the profit margin is a reflection of the fiscal success of the product itself.

Saw is the only series that is having numerous sequels that make a theatrical run. Everyone knows they are dirt cheap to make and generate millions in profit, the same as F13th did in the 80's. That is not a news flash or anything previously unknown.
    I was pointing out just how profitable they are. Again, you missed the point. People tend to associate the modern blockbuster to films like "Titanic" and "The Dark Knight," but truth be told, "Saw" is generating the better return on the initial investment.

Next it's a complete waste to try and control peoples freedom of choice in theater viewing. The people who don't like sequels wont go and see them, the ones that do will, that's it, that's all.
    Who's controlling anything? I was pointing out that if you want to stop seeing sequels, stop contributing to 800% profit margins. I think people know these films are profitable, but I don't think many people realize just how profitable. People still have the ability to disagree with me and exercise their free will, I don't know how you think I intend on controlling anyone. Steelba, you need work on your reading comprehension.

Furthermore i'd rather watch Saw 3 than Titanic and most big budget Hollywood productions suck. Yeah that Oceans 13 was so awesome, it was way better than the micro budgeted Halloween or similarly small budgeted The Thing. Whatever would we do if we didn't have epic big budget productions like Waterworld and the Postman
    Again, you're still missing the point. I'm not saying you should only see big budget movies, which is clearly how you interpreted my apparently non-Steelba-proof concise explanation. The point is, if you want to stop seeing sequels - which has been the subject of much discussion since "Saw 5" was announced, then stop contributing to ungodly returns. The returns are, in a way, better than movies we tend to think of as top-earners.

It's clear you want to see more "Saw" films. That's fine. I'm speaking to those people who do not. Now breathe and read things twice before you reply, because you need to.

Also, I could go through and post the same figures for Halloween, Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street, and I bet the numbers would be similar. Probably like 5-fold (at least) profits. I just used "Saw" as an example because it's the most recent movie on such a huge sequel run.

Last edited by H78; 11-04-2008 at 03:22 PM.
    FrighT MasteR : in all seriousness, i really do think he's a little slow in the head

Deadbeat posting at dawn
    病気の

Status
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Add woodenheart on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 167
    smart guys rock!...continue please.

Fresh Zealot
    I am high.

Status
    Last Online
    11-19-2019

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thumbs Up
    No I read it correctly, you just fleshed it out and actually went into detail in your reply. If that same effort was included in the original post my beef would have been lessened... probably

Furthermore if it wasn't sequels which there are few of theatrically, it would be remakes.
    There are many more remakes than sequels currently and if you were gonna make 'This is whats wrong with the Genre' post, that would have been more accurate.

Last edited by steelba; 11-04-2008 at 04:01 PM.

Steelbaz Youtube Channel

Nosferatu = UHM's Snitch

Knight
    This user has no status.

So basically horror sequels are made to make money...

I said shit Goddamn! I'm a man!!
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-19-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    It's a nice effort, but I guarantee nearly everyone on this forum will still hand over the dough for these movies. This isn't news to anyone, even the ones complaining... because face it, people like bad movies and not even in an ironic sense. Other than a few exceptions, interesting films tend to be foreign or independent nowadays... originality still exists, it's just we're all too retarded to make an effort to look these movies up.

"This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief in personal freedom."

Deadbeat posting at dawn
    病気の

Status
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Thumbs Up
    I am in heaven....:heart:

Fresh Zealot
    I am high.

Status
    Last Online
    11-19-2019

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    So basically horror sequels are made to make money...

I know, amazing isn't it..

Last edited by steelba; 11-04-2008 at 04:13 PM.

Steelbaz Youtube Channel

Nosferatu = UHM's Snitch

Assistant Webmaster
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    05-27-2020

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    So you fockers knew the "Saw" franchise was running an 800% profit margin? You also knew it has a larger profit margin than movies like The Dark Knight and Titanic?

Please. Asshats.

Of course I realized everyone knows they're profitable. I said that just a few sentences in. The point I was making was just how profitable they really are, especially when compared to blockbuster films.

Though I am appreciative that Knight took ten minutes out of playing his new video game to stop in and say hello.

Last edited by H78; 11-04-2008 at 04:19 PM.

Assistant Webmaster
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    05-27-2020

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    I know, amazing isn't it..
    Stop routing for Knight.

Fresh Zealot
    I am high.

Status
    Last Online
    11-19-2019

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by H78 View Post
    So you fockers knew the "Saw" franchise was running an 800% profit margin?
    "Saw"

That's around a 4,600% profit margin genius, and those are the domestic figures.

Steelbaz Youtube Channel

Nosferatu = UHM's Snitch

Knight
    This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by H78 View Post
    So you fockers knew the "Saw" franchise was running an 800% profit margin?
    No, and neither did you until you looked it up.

Assistant Webmaster
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    05-27-2020

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    "Saw"

That's around a 4,600% profit margin genius, and those are the domestic figures.
    You really are as stupid as you seem. Amazing.

You know the difference between a "franchise" and an individual movie, right? Not to mention, I love your math.

Poor Steelba. :stupid:

Last edited by H78; 11-04-2008 at 04:35 PM.

Deadbeat posting at dawn
    病気の

Status
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Thumbs Up
    oh shit.....here we go....

Fresh Zealot
    I am high.

Status
    Last Online
    11-19-2019

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thumbs Up
    100% 1.2 mil is 1.2 mil. 800% of 1.2 mil 9.6mil.
    I used a percentage calculator and 4600% of 1.2 mill is $52 mil even, so I was off a hair

and you're the stupid one 100% isn't a 100x it's 1x. THe movie made 46 times the original investment, 46 x 100 = 4600!
    So you don't get it, you fucking dumbshit!!

Last edited by steelba; 11-04-2008 at 04:52 PM.

Steelbaz Youtube Channel

Nosferatu = UHM's Snitch

Fresh Zealot
    I am high.

Status
    Last Online
    11-19-2019

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thumbs Up
    I added the total gross for you not just the domestic, to show the actual earning power of the films.

Saw
    total gross $103,096,345

Saw 2
    total $147,739,965

Saw 3
    total gross $164,874,275

Saw 4
    total gross $139,352,633

Saw 5
    total gross $52,783,838

Total cost of the films from your figures are $35,400,000, the total earnings are $607,847,056.
    Divide the big number into the small # and you get 1717%, which is the profit margin for the entire franshise as of current figures..

so yeah..

Last edited by steelba; 11-04-2008 at 05:09 PM.

Steelbaz Youtube Channel

Nosferatu = UHM's Snitch

Deadbeat posting at dawn
    病気の

Status
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Thumbs Up
    yeah! go get em!

Assistant Webmaster
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    05-27-2020

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    I added the total gross for you not just the domestic, to show the actual earning power of the films.

Saw
    total gross $103,096,345

Saw 2
    total $147,739,965

Saw 3
    total gross $164,874,275

Saw 4
    total gross $139,352,633

Saw 5
    total gross $52,783,838

Total cost of the films from your figures are $35,400,000, the total earnings are $607,847,056.
    Divide the big number into the small # and you get 1717%, which is the profit margin for the entire franshise as of current figures..

so yeah..
    Steelba, I was talking domestically. But if you want to talk about worldwide numbers, I don't see anything wrong with that. Please, continue to do what you're doing, it's very entertaining.

In doing everything in your power to dry to minimize my point, you're really just doing a great job showcasing how good the public education system is out in Washington.

Please, continue. You're

Assistant Webmaster
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    05-27-2020

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    and you're the stupid one 100% isn't a 100x it's 1x. THe movie made 46 times the original investment, 46 x 100 = 4600!
    So you don't get it, you fucking dumbshit!!
    Reread what I wrote. Carefully. Please, for the love of God, take your time.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast