08-31-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 5

Leonardo DiCaprio...Anime Nerd?

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/11/10...n-either-film/

While most of Hollywood seems to be focusing on comics made stateside — with even French publishers getting some attention lately — Leonardo DiCaprio has clearly set his sights on Asia.

Already reported here on Splash Page, DiCaprio’s Appian Way production company has been picking up classic heavy-hitters from the world of Japanese manga and anime — most notably “Akira” and “Ninja Scroll” — to develop into live-action feature films. While the news of “Ninja Scroll” is still fresh on the blogs, “Akira” has already made some moves in Hollywood, being picked up by Warner Bros., scooping up Gary Whitta to write the script, and there’s even rumors that Joseph Gordon Levitt will play the role of Tetsuo.

“We’re waiting for the final draft of the script [for 'Akira'],” DiCaprio told MTV. “I’m a big fan of Japanese anime — that and another project called ‘Ninja Scroll’ we’re trying to get developed and made into a movie, and I know there a lot of loyal fans out there of the project and die-hard fans, so we’re going to try to do the best job we possibly can and we’re not going to make the movie until the script is in the right shape.”

However, for those of you out there hoping to see DiCaprio on Kaneda’s souped up motorcycle in “Akira” or munching on rice balls a la Jubei Kibagami in “Ninja Scroll,” don’t hold your breath. When asked about what his role will be in these properties, DiCaprio made it clear that he’d be producing, and as for as any interest in acting: “No, not really,” he responded.
    I've never seen anything by Ninja Scrolls, but Akira I'm interested in.

So we've got Blood: The Last Vampire and Dragonball next year, Fox got rights to Cowboy Bebop and now these 2...I still say it, Hollywood is going Anime/Manga.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Fresh Zealot
    I am high.

Status
    Last Online
    11-19-2019

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 10
    I didn't like Akira much, very weird stuff, expect loads of cgi.
    Ninja Scroll was a good classic anime and it would be cool if they did it like Kill Bill 1.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Steelbaz Youtube Channel

Nosferatu = UHM's Snitch

+ Reply to Thread