02-18-2010

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Landmark Adam Walsh abduction case declared solved after 27 years

Fla. police close books on '81 Walsh killing

HOLLYWOOD, Fla. A serial killer who died more than a decade ago is the person who decapitated the 6-year-old son of "America's Most Wanted" host John Walsh in 1981, police in Florida said Tuesday. The announcement brought to a close a case that has vexed the Walsh family for more than two decades, launched the television show about the nation's most notorious criminals and inspired changes in how authorities search for missing children.

"Who could take a 6-year-old and murder and decapitate him? Who?" an emotional John Walsh said at Tuesday's news conference. "We needed to know. We needed to know. And today we know. The not knowing has been a torture, but that journey's over."

Walsh's wife, Reve, at one point placed a small photo of their son on the podium.

Police named Ottis Toole, saying he was long the prime suspect in the case and that they had conclusively linked him to the killing. They declined to be specific about their evidence and did not note any DNA proof of the crime, but said an extensive review of the case file pointed only to Toole, as John Walsh long contended.

"Our agency has devoted an inordinate amount of time seeking leads to other potential perpetrators rather than emphasizing Ottis Toole as our primary suspect," said Hollywood Police Chief Chadwick Wagner, who launched a fresh review of the case after taking over the department last year. "Ottis Toole has continued to be our only real suspect."

Toole had twice confessed to killing the child, but later recanted. He claimed responsibility for hundreds of murders, but police determined most of the confessions were lies. Toole's niece told the boy's father, John Walsh, her uncle confessed on his deathbed in prison that he killed Adam.

Wagner acknowledged numerous missteps in the investigation and apologized to the Walshes.

"I have no doubt," John Walsh said. "I've never had any doubt."

Many names have been mentioned in connection to the case in the years since the killing, including serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer, but Toole's has persistently nagged detectives. John Walsh has long said he believed the drifter was responsible, saying investigators found at Toole's home in Jacksonville a pair of green shorts and a sandal similar to what Adam was wearing.

Toole died in prison of cirrhosis in 1996 at the age of 49. He was serving five life sentences for murders unrelated to Adam's death.

The Walshes, who appeared Tuesday flanked by their other children, long ago derided the investigation as botched. Still, John Walsh praised the Hollywood police department for closing the case.

"This is not to look back and point fingers, but it is to let it rest," he said.

Adam Walsh went missing from a Hollywood mall on July 27, 1981. Fishermen discovered his severed head in a canal 120 miles away two weeks later. The rest of his body was never found.

Authorities made a series of crucial errors, losing the bloodstained carpeting in Toole's car preventing DNA testing and the car itself. It was a week after the boy's disappearance before the FBI got involved.

"So many mistakes were made," John Walsh said in 1997, upon the release of his book "Tears of Rage," which harshly criticized the Hollywood Police Department's work on the case. "It was shocking, inexcusable and heartbreaking."

For all that went wrong in the probe, the case contributed to massive advances in police searches for missing youngsters and a notable shift in the view parents and children hold of the world.

Adam's death, and his father's activism on his behalf, helped put faces on milk cartons, shopping bags and mailbox flyers, started fingerprinting programs and increased security at schools and stores. It spurred the creation of missing persons units at every large police department.

"In 1981, when a child disappeared, you couldn't enter information about a child into the FBI database. You could enter information about stolen cars, stolen guns but not stolen children," said Ernie Allen, president of the Center for Missing and Exploited Children, co-founded by John Walsh. "Those things have all changed."

The case also prompted national legislation to create a national database and toll-free line devoted to missing children, and led to the start of "America's Most Wanted," which brought those cases into millions of homes.

What it also did, said Mount Holyoke College sociologist and criminologist Richard Moran, is make children and adults alike exponentially more afraid.

"He ended up really producing a generation of cautious and afraid kids who view all adults and strangers as a threat to them and it made parents extremely paranoid about the safety of their children," Moran said.
    For those who grew up in the years following Adam Walsh's abduction and subsequent murder, it's interesting to note how the situations and resources that we take for granted simply weren't there prior to these tragic events.

I recall seeing the tv movie (Adam) when I was younger and it creeping me out because, unlike the Hammer horror flicks I watched every Saturday afternoon, this was real. The realization that people committed acts like the against children was a pretty sobering thought, even back then. The next thing we knew, the schools were doing fingerprint fairs and the milk carton "missing" pictures became one of the iconic images of the 1980s.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Patriot, n. One to whom the interests of a part seem superior to the interests of the whole. The dupe of statesmen and the tool of conquerers. ---Ambrose Bierce

Hello?
    hi guys

Status
    Last Online
    04-23-2016

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Doh
    Add Get Some on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 5
    good to hear

RIP JJ

Horror Character Draft Winners
    1-IKickAssFortheLord
    2-2011 Darkgod

Non Horror Character Draft Winners
    1-Shreds of Flesh
    2-2011 Woodenheart

TV Character Draft Winners
    1-Mudvayne_Eternal

My little DVD collection- http://getsome.dvdaf.com/owned

Master of Brutality
    Back at it again.

Status
    Last Online
    1 Day Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Add UzumakiW on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 2
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID UzumakiW Steam ID UzumakiW
    I read about this earlier today. Glad that they can finally lift the question as to who did it off their shoulders. Always a sad thing to think about, though.

"We all go a little mad sometimes"

Average Joe
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    12-27-2016

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    I was very happy to hear the news. The Walsh family have been waiting a long time for this. I've been watching America's Most Wanted all my life and I've known about John Walsh's son's murder too and It's uncanny to think about what happened to his son Adam. I'm just really glad the family has some closure.

Last edited by Doc Awesome; 12-16-2008 at 08:01 PM.

Rotting Zealot
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-23-2017

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Thumbs Up
    herd this earlier today...good thing they figured out who did it...such a sad story

Detroit Lions Baltimore Ravens Detroit Pistons Michigan Wolverines Detroit Red Wings Kentucky Wildcats

Metalhead Grl amongst Killers!
    Clap for the Killers!

Status
    Last Online
    01-31-2012

Member #
    Threads
    Add grlxx on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag I forgot it. Wii Code Forgot that too
    This whole thing has always sickened me so much...atleast they got closure as to knowing what effed up sicko did it in the first place...

Blood, Guts, Gore and Mayhem...I fully approve! (chicks dig horror, too) -Boardie formerly known as ipodgrlx.

"Into unending Sorrow, a festival of horror...An orchestra of the undead" \,,/

My Blu-Ray collection, so far..
    http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...p?member=grlxx

[My DVD's.]

The devil made me do it
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    01-03-2010

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    It's a shame it took this long to close this case. The Walsh family needed closure and I'm glad they got it. John Walsh is an amazing man who has devoted his life to helping families who were in a similar situation. It's good that he might be able to start putting this behind him, never the less his work will help people forever.

Boy, the next word that comes out of your mouth better be some brilliant fuckin Mark Twain shit.
    Cause its definitely gettin chiseled on your tombstone. ~Otis B. Driftwood~

Deadbeat posting at dawn
    病気の

Status
    Last Online
    1 Hour Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Follow woodenheart On Twitter Add woodenheart on Facebook
    Visit woodenheart's Youtube Channel
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 219
    Given: 89
    Glad the family has closure. Wish the pricks death could have been alittle more painful and he suffered alot longer.

病気の

Demon to Some
    Imagine peace on this earth
    when there's no grief Imagine
    grief on this earth when
    there's no peace

Status
    Last Online
    20 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Add Darkgod on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 58
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Chumpstylz PSN ID D_A_R_K_G_O_D
    Its sad some sicko would do things like that... but one good thing did come out of it. The fact that all these procedures are in place now. We look at a picture on a milk carton and dont think anything about it. I bet they have helped solve hundreds of cases, and that is all in part due to a man who lost his son and wanted a change.

UHM Since 1999
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    07-19-2012

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Thumbs Up
    You're right. John Walsh has helped many people as a result of the tragedy that happened to his family.

Also gotta give the FOX network credit for keeping America's Most Wanted on the air. FOX takes a lotta heat but they have stuck with this show.

FrighT MasteR:one of da best additions to da board, in my opinion, having a place like the oath/dark mind for more intellectual discussions and analysis, and sometimes offering a lil comedy relief with da FrighT interviews

anti-social worker
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    02-18-2010

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Is AMW still on, weekly? Used to see at least the occasional promo, but I can't recall seeing one in quite a long time...

Patriot, n. One to whom the interests of a part seem superior to the interests of the whole. The dupe of statesmen and the tool of conquerers. ---Ambrose Bierce

+ Reply to Thread