Not a bad western from co-writer/director Ed Harris. Despite Ed playing the lead role, it's Viggo Mortensen's character as his deputy, Everett, that really steals the show. His character was more interesting to me and seemed to carry himself much better than Ed.

Although the flick isn't bad, I still expected it to be better. There weren't enough gunfights, for one, and I didn't really like the whole sub-plot with Renée Zellweger's character as some slut that sleeps around. The ending was a bit lackluster as well.

Regardless, it kept my interest and offered some decent scenery and action when there was action. The film also had a sense of realism to it, where it's not exactly your stereotypical western -- these leads aren't the fastest guns, nor are they bulletproof and certain things don't really end up the way you'd expect.

Had they shortened or removed the Renée sub-plot and threw in more gunfights, it could've been a sweet flick, but as it is right now, it's still not an entirely bad watch.

7/10

http://imdb.com/title/tt0800308/