Threads
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Is Batman the New Harry Potter?

http://movies.ign.com/articles/951/951866p1.html

UK, February 6, 2009 - The Batman series will progress well beyond The Dark Knight, says to Warner Bros. CEO Jeff Bewkes.

According to a transcript from a top-level Time Warner meeting (posted on SilliconAlleyInsider.com), the studio sees the Bat-series as a franchise to one-day rival Harry Potter - which will end up with eight movie incarnations after the two Deathly Hallows movies.

He said: "Dark Knight was the second most profitable film in history - close to Titanic'. The obvious thing we're going to take from it is more Dark Knight. We look at Harry Potter, it's fantastic to have franchises that last that long. We want to do that with Batman and Superman and perhaps Sherlock Holmes."

It's not all about money though, with the critical success of the Batman movies also something Warner Bros. is keen to see more off.

Could the Batman franchise be as long-running as Harry Potter?
    "The sequels are as good, with new characters added, as were the originals," said Bewkes. "That wasn't the case in the years ago. Warners has more tentpoles as an on-going strategy that very much lifts its distribution and

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

"I'll make him an offer he can't refuse" -Michael Corleone

Rotting Zealot
    bears, beets, battlestar
    galactica

Status
    Last Online
    02-13-2021

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 40
    Not shocking at all. Profitable film with popular character = sequel, sequel, sequel.

Chief of UHM
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-22-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    can Batman be as good as Harry Potter? I like Harry but anyone who actually says that should be drug out in the street and shot. Chris Nolans films are great, and I would love for him to make another one. But they don't have to follow nolans storyline. Its not like his version is going to be the last batman ever done. Batman is a timeless character thats been reinvinted countless times. There are thousands of Batman stories that have never seen the big screen. And I think it would be great to see a live action version of The Dark Knight Returns or Batman The Long Halloween. Theres so much more room for Batman on the big screen they could still be making them when my grand kids are around. You can't say that about Harry Potter.

Valhalla, I am coming
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    10-22-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 2
    Batman's been around for almost 70 years. There's hundreds more stories and I find that continuing the Nolan series when that group of people (basically no Nolan, no anybody) leaves would be pointless. About every 15-20 years, restart and tell new stories. If TDK is it for Nolan and co., I don't want to see another live action Batman series for quite some time.

Diz mutha F'er got banned!
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    09-22-2010

Member #
    On the neighboring planet across from Nebula M-Spacehunter.
    Threads
    My Mood
    Fine
    Thumbs Up
    I've been hearing Nolan isn't coming back for the third movie. With that, the series might lose its credibility. It'll lose the direction, the more realistic tone of the movies (which I thought were like the Bourne movies but Batmanified), thus falling into lower levels of reality. We'll get wackier villains like The Penguin, Killer Crocodile, and Mr. Freeze. Next thing ya know we'll have another "Batman and Robin" on our hands. But depending on who stays on board, I think we have a good chance at a wicked franchise here.

Valhalla, I am coming
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    10-22-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanosaurus View Post
    I've been hearing Nolan isn't coming back for the third movie. With that, the series might lose its credibility. It'll lose the direction, the more realistic tone of the movies (which I thought were like the Bourne movies but Batmanified), thus falling into lower levels of reality. We'll get wackier villains like The Penguin, Killer Crocodile, and Mr. Freeze. Next thing ya know we'll have another "Batman and Robin" on our hands. But depending on who stays on board, I think we have a good chance at a wicked franchise here.
    He hasn't really said anything. He's just trying to get away from it all, but he has began writing ideas and notes for what he might do. The reason why he's not sure on his future is because he wants to make sure he's fully dedicated to making it, rather that deciding halfway through that his heart's not into it.

As I'd said before countless times, I think WB has learned their lesson from what happens when you tell the director what to do. Batman and Robin is probably the biggest disgrace they've ever put out and it was a total franchise killer. But if they do continue sans Nolan, I can only hope the new guy knows what exactly to do (probably with a new actor as Bruce Wayne) and doesn't try to break away from reality. Another silent prayer of mine would be that this new guy would stay the fuck away from the Joker. Once Ledger died, the Joker of the Nolan series died with him. No recast. Because then, it's not the Joker, it's some guy doing Heath Ledger as the Joker. And that's not a performance, that's an impression.

Purely & Simply...Evil...& Stoned.
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-30-2012

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    god i hope they don't turn it into a huge 8 movie franchise...
    make the 3rd with chris nolan at the helm, of course, and then leave the franchise ALONE! do we really want another freakin Batman & Robin??? i know i dont....

Have drums will travel
    You're a ship out to sea and I
    am a storm cloud forming...

Status
    Last Online
    03-02-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Add Lemmywinks on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Zakzombiekiller
    Wouldn't mind seeing Bane crippling Bruce Wayne and protege Azrael taking over as Batman. Could work instead of constantly having to introduce new villains. But thats just what I think. Christian Bale needs to take some chill pills as well if he wants to continue acting and play Batman. His meltdown on the T4 set won't help his respectability.

Last edited by Lemmywinks; 02-07-2009 at 01:27 AM.
    Why put off until tomorrow to what can be avoided all together.

Being the best shite in the toilet doesn't mean anything other than you're still shite.....-Dexter

This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 10
    Doubt it could go 8 movies.

No matter how good the movies can be and perceived. It's still by and large a summer blockbuster and it needs to have those summer blockbuster numbers in result.

I heard that Bale rant on set of T4. I think it will hurt his off screen rep but as an actor right now I still think he's pretty untouchable IMO. Unless of course his movies start to dwindle at the box office because of his off screen escapade.

Chief of UHM
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-22-2015

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    I agree noone needs to do an impression of Ledgers Joker. Theres different versionf him out there, they need to go somewhere else with The Joker when that happens. But in a different series. I wanna eventually see the tall skinny version with a long chin and evil crazy eyes. Like the version in that short film where Batman faught the predators. I think it was called Dead End, that was a bad ass joker.

And if its been done in the comics and worked, theres no reason it shouldn't be able to work on the big screen. I want to evetually see batman movies with all the popular villains. And I think its funny when directors say a Batman/Superman movie would never work. Yeah, I'm sure thats why the comic series is so popular. Cuz it doesn't work....right. And I think it would be a good idea to bring Bane into the next Nolan movie, Batman is on the run. Makes sense to have someone hire Bane to take him out. I think theres to much left to be told to end Nolans series where its at. And how fucking creepy could scarface be on the big screen with that damn doll.

Last edited by Chief Falling Rock; 02-07-2009 at 08:00 AM.

Zombiefied Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    I heard The Riddler is going to be the next villain. They already cast the part.

It doesn't look good for the future of the franchise.

Batman > Harry Potter

Deadbeat posting at dawn
    病気の

Status
    Last Online
    10 Hours Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Add woodenheart on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 167
    yeah, Batman is> Harry Potter, but Harry is so damn cute!

Cowboy From Hell
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    06-13-2013

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Dead
    Thumbs Up
    Comparing TDK (or Batman period) to Harry Potter is Ludicrous. It's like comparing Star Wars to Indianna Jones. On the first half (Harry Potter) you have a series of prescribed stories, whereas Nolans Dark Knight franchise (if you can call it that yet) is solely drafted for the intent of that single film (which Nolan has said himself.) After begins, Nolan didn't have a real intention to make a sequel until some months aftter, and his goal after TDK was to leave a sense of resolution so that there could be a sequel, but it wouldn't be necessary. This follows the lines of what Hollywood decided to do after Burton and co. left their series, and we all know how that ended up; Batman sprouted nipples. Comparisons like this are ludicrous, and it just seems like journalistic fluff surrounding the mystique Nolan has wrapped around himself and his franchise. There is a high demand, but no supply yet announced.

"Obliterate the screams of the weak
    Who needs a god when you've got Satan
    No god to offer this forgiveness
    No god to punish for these sins
    Tormented for the prize of salvation
    Broken loyalty to life after death"

anti-social worker
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    02-18-2010

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    The likelihood of the quality sustaining the box office take necessary to prop this up for another six flicks is somewhere between slim and none...

Patriot, n. One to whom the interests of a part seem superior to the interests of the whole. The dupe of statesmen and the tool of conquerers. ---Ambrose Bierce

Purely & Simply...Evil...& Stoned.
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    04-30-2012

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmywinks View Post
    Wouldn't mind seeing Bane crippling Bruce Wayne and protege Azrael taking over as Batman. Could work instead of constantly having to introduce new villains.
    hmmmm i didnt even think about the whole Knightfall story line, THAT might actually be cool to see on the big screen and have a psychotic Batman

Last edited by The Tall Man; 02-07-2009 at 02:20 PM.

Have drums will travel
    You're a ship out to sea and I
    am a storm cloud forming...

Status
    Last Online
    03-02-2015

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Amused
    Add Lemmywinks on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag Zakzombiekiller
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tall Man View Post
    hmmmm i didnt even think about the whole Knightfall story line, THAT might actually be cool to see on the big screen and have a psychotic Batman
    I dug it when Azrael kicked the shit out of Robin. I just think it could be an unexpected twist that would work.

Why put off until tomorrow to what can be avoided all together.

Being the best shite in the toilet doesn't mean anything other than you're still shite.....-Dexter

Valhalla, I am coming
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    10-22-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    For those who think Bale lost his mind over nothing-
    The DP on TERMINATOR SALVATION, Shane Hurlbut, is a apparently a light tweaker. He's a fairly young DP and likes to fiddle with his lights on set during action, which is a big "NO NO" on most productions unless worked out in advance with performers. But apparently Shane was a pretty unrepentant light tweaker.

The scene in question, was a very emotional and tough scene between Christian Bale and Bryce Howard. A scene that required soul bearing and a deep level of immersive concentration. The sort of scene where everyone on set knows not to get in anyone's eye lines, and definitely not to move lights around while FILMING. You lock that shit down before the scene starts.

Bale had indeed warned the DP on multiple occasions about messing with lights while the cameras were rolling, and Bale was in the midst of a painful scene with Bryce, what was described to me as being the emotional center of the film and his character for the film.

Now, the reason I know all of this is because the person that was there, felt that it should be made perfectly clear that Christian Bale was the utmost gentleman and cool guy on set. And the DP really was doing something that professional DPs with experience just don't do. Not during a performance.
    Hulburt was also despised by the crew and cast for being a condescending twit.

Zombiefied Member
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Didn't Christian Bale's Mom and Sister file assault charges on him? First time it happens you can give him the benefit of the doubt. Second time around makes him look like a douche. That said, the guy probably deserved to be reprimanded but to that extent? I save an ass-chewing like that for something like a car accident or something equally dramatic.

Insane Membrane
    crusing.

Status
    Last Online
    02-10-2021

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Follow da Gay On Twitter Add da Gay on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    this could be like a bond like franchise with i wouldn't mind at all. as long as the stories are good, fresh, then i say keep them coming.

i didnt understand the article though, did it state that harry potter was going to continue for 8 films after the dealthy hollows? or that batman was going to be 8 films?

Wants to be a
    CRIMINAL

Average Joe
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online
    03-31-2022

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Loomis View Post
    i didnt understand the article though, did it state that harry potter was going to continue for 8 films after the dealthy hollows? or that batman was going to be 8 films?
    He was saying that after Deathly Hallows wraps that there will be 8 total Harry Potter films. He's hoping the Batman franchise is capable of staying fresh for that long.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast