03-27-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Dead and Deader

Dead and Deader

Starring: : Dean Cain (Lois & Clark) Susan Ward (Wild Things 2) Guy Torry (American History X) John Billingsley (Star Trek: Enterprise) Armin Shimerman (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine) Dean Haglund (The X-Files The Lone Gunmen) Ellie Cornell (Halloween IV)
    Directed by: Patrick Dinhut
    Writers: Mark A. Altman Steven Kriozere

In a sea of made for TV movies every once in a while there comes one that stands out above the rest. Everyone is aware of the slew of zombie movies out there and how bad a lot of them are and how these get funded are a mystery to us all….However upon channel surfing last night, I come to the Chiller channel and find this movie on entitled Dead and Deader, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
    Premise: The usual plot of a zombie movie entails that some sort of infection or disease etc… has spread and the undead has began to walk the earth. Here in Dead and Deader we see a group of soldiers(Led by Dean Cain) in Cambodia who are looking for some missing soldiers and come upon this test facility of some sort with these (they call them beetles) Scorpions in a large container. Lt. Bobby Quinn (Dean Cain) is bitten by one of these and pronounced dead and hauled back to the states in a body bag..now the fun begins!

Acting: The cast for this DTV is actually pretty solid. Dean Cain plays lead as a green beret who kicks ass and along for the ride is American History X’s Guy Torry. The dialogue is solid and the scenes move pretty fluently as all the zombie glory unfolds in a race to save the world. Dean Cain and zombie is two words I thought I would never hear in the same sentence but I am glad I gave it a chance. Also the fact that the movie never slows down really helps as well.

Zombification: I added this as a category to describe the creativeness of how the undead comes about. I thought this was a cool take on zombies and the fact that this certain bug exists that could turn a normal human into a flesh eater was a new take on the infection. Also the FX of the zombies are pretty good for the budget given on this film. There are a couple of moments where the budget shows but not enough to put a damper on it too much. Also I would like to add that the speed that the infection travels is pretty cool as once they are bitten they turn almost instantly. Also you have your Dawn of The Dead type zombies as well which makes great for chase scenes.

Scripting: The writers were evidently avid movie watchers and horror fans as certain characters were named after famous actors and a certain object in the movie appears from a franchise we horror fanatics love (It’s in the funeral home scene!). I believe the script was solid with only a few plotholes like Where did the zombie bugs come from some other questions we ponder throught the movie…Once again though it’s still not enough to hinder the movie’s direction or liking.

Gore Factor: There really isn’t so much gore as oodles of green zombie blood for you to sink your teeth into. Keep in mind I did watch this on TV so I would be interested to see if there is any gore on the dvd that was cut.

Overall: Here stands your better than average zombie flick. Dean Cain in a zombie flick will not seem probable to most of you but he pulls it off and plays the part of the hero to a tee. For what the crew had to work with I believe that this is a very solid zombie movie and that should be given a chance. I give this movie a 7 out of 10 because I really would have liked a little more background on the zombie bugs. Other than that, it was a pretty good watch. If you can find this in your movie store I would say give it a look.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

TV Character Draft Winners
    1. Mudvayne_Eternal

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 94
    Made a thread about this one a while back. I liked it too.

"Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."

UHM's Zombie Killer
    This user has no status.

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Follow Il Duce On Twitter Add Il Duce on Facebook
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Probably one of the better and fewer film's to hit Scifi but then again i did rewatch it later on DVD so i'm sure there was more than what was aired on TV.

UHM's IT Guy
    I will bury you and everything
    that you believe in!!!

Status
    Last Online
    03-27-2023

Member #
    Threads
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Sorry Mike..Didn't know you reviewed this one! :bigthumbup:

TV Character Draft Winners
    1. Mudvayne_Eternal

Child of the Grave
    The Duke of NY...A#1

Status
    Last Online

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Cool
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 94
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudvayne_Eternal View Post
    Sorry Mike..Didn't know you reviewed this one! :bigthumbup:

I didn't review it...I made a thread in the horror talk forum.

"Wake up sucker, we're thieves and we're bad guys. That's exactly what we are."

Call me STRT or Street
    If someone asks if you are a
    god you say YES

Status
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago

Member #
    Threads
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Follow strtfghtr On Twitter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 727
    Given: 363
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID EataFat1 Steam ID strtfghtr Wii Code something...
    I saw this on DVD a few months ago, pretty solid and the gore was great. Good review Mudvayne.

The only part I cringed at was the "Oh these aren't Romero zombies, they're like remake...bla..bla..bla" This is a trend in zombie horror that seems to be coming up andneeds to end...very annoying I don't need the characters discussing the kinds of zombies.

All You Need is Blood - The Official UHM Horror Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/allyouneedisblood

+ Reply to Thread